Sold for $319,000 at 2008 Gooding & Company. For 1908, the Packard Model Thirty was offered as a Runabout, a Tourer, and as a Limousine. The Runabout rested on a wheelbase that measured 108-inches, while the other bodystyles rode on a 123.5-inch wheelbase. Power was from a 431.9 cubic-inch four-cylinder T-head engine that offered 30 horsepower.
The Model 30 was introduced in 1906 and served as a worthy successor to the Model 24. By this point in history, Packard had earned the reputation for being one of America's finest automobile producers.
The Model 30 was produced through early 1912 with several key modifications and incremental improvements made during its lifespan. In total, there were 9,540 examples of the Model 30 produced.
This 1908 Packard Model 30 Touring Car is one of the earliest Packard Model 30 still in existence. There are fewer than 50 Model 30's that still remain. The original owner of this car was Charles Page who bought it new San Francisco. It was shipped to Europe in 1909 where it served as transportation for Mr. Page and his family on the continent for the next three months. Page's son, Stanley, continued with the Packard - along with two classmates - on a tour east as far as Moscow, before returning back to the US with the Packard.
The car remained in Page's possession until his death. The car was sold by his widow without coachwork to Paul Ridley. A new body was fabricated for the car and it remained in his care until 1980, when it was sold to Marshall Matthews. In 1998, it became part of the Carl J. Schmitt collection.
Ridley began restoration of the car and Matthews completed the work. The car now has an electric starter for ease of operation.
In 2008, this Model 30 Touring Car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $375,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for $319,000, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
Sold for $165,000 at 2011 RM Sothebys. The introduction of the Model 30 in 1907 was the spark that established Packard as a builder of luxury cars. Packard became part of the 'Three Ps', and joined other luxury makers Peerless and Pierce-Arrow. Packard, however, would be the only builder to survive the Great Depression, partly because it diversified into medium-priced cars. Packard would enjoy a prosperous career of building high-quality automobiles, and was only outsold once by Cadillac before 1950.
This Model 30 was discovered as a chassis in an apple orchard in South Haven, Michigan in 1955. It was later given an original Packard seven-passenger touring body. The car was given a restoration sometime in the early 1970s and was painted in Royal Blue with white pin-striping, black fenders and chassis and cream running gear. It was re-upholstered to the original pattern in the mid-1990s in red buttoned leather. The lamps are Solar units produced for Packard, and the car is fitted with the correct Prest-o-Lite tank. The oil and gas lamps are in working order but have been modified with electric bulbs front and rear for safety in modern traffic. Inside, there is a Jones 60-mph speedomter and eight-day New Haven clock. The rear jump seats are unique in that they swivel out from the side panel and fold down into place, rather than conventional design of up from the floor.
The car is powered by a 431.9 cubic-inch T-head four-cylinder engine offering 30 horsepower, and there is a rear-mounted three-speed manual gearbox. Braking is by two-wheel mechanical brakes and the wheelbase measures a stately 123.5-inches.
In 2011, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $200,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had found a new owner for the sum of $165,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2011
The slogan 'Ask The Man Who Owns One' is one of the most famous in American History. It was the response given to most individuals when asked about a Packard. They were reliable, elegant, powerful, and quality automobiles. Their attention to detail and ingenuity were some of the key factors in making the company successful.
The Packard legend begins in 1898 when James Ward Packard, a mechanical engineer, purchased a Winton. The Winton automobiles were good automobiles but the one that Packard had purchased had many flaws and broke down on its first road trip. Packard returned the vehicle to Winton and voiced his displeasure. Winton challenged Packard to build a better product. James and his brother William Dowd Packard began immediately on building a vehicle. A year later their first car, a one-cylinder, was introduced. They built four more cars that year, and the following year, in 1900, they produced 47 of a Model B under the name New York and Ohio Company, a subsidiary of the brothers' Packard Electric Company, manufacturers of transformers and electric lighting equipment. The cars were simple yet durable. They featured a single-cylinder engine mounted under the seat and attached to a two-speed planetary transmission and chain drive.
On September 10th of 1900 the Ohio Automobile Company, based in Warren, Ohio, was formed. In 1903 the name was changed to the Packard Motor Car Company when it moved from Warren, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan. The move was the result of a majority stock purchase made by investors in the Detroit area.
In 1907 Packard introduced their Model 30 which would remain in production until the early 1910s. It was called the Model 30 because of its 30 horsepower engine. By T-head four-cylinder unit displaced 431.9 cubic-inches and powered the rear wheels via a three-speed manual transmission mounted in the rear.
The Model 30 was a very important car for Packard and was a top seller for many years, even after it was joined by a smaller Model 18 in 1909.
In 1908 Packard extended and enlarged the wheelbase and fitted them with 36-inch wheels. The results of this revised Model 30 was designated UA. There were additional body styles such as a close-coupled tourer and a victoria, and windshields were optional equipment. Packard made another bold claim in 1909 by touting this Model 30 UB as 'The Masterpiece of the Largest Exclusive Motor Car Factory in the World.' The claims were justified as Packard was the largest exclusive motor car factory in the world with its floor-space that extended 14 acres and their payroll had 3,200 employees.
In 1909 founder James Ward Packard's presidency was passed on the Henry Joy.
In 1910 the Model 30 UC was introduced. The list of new bodystyles included a phaeton, and a four-passenger tourer. Mechanical improvements included a dry ply clutch which replaced the expansion ring unit.
In 1911 the succession continued with the Model 30-UD. A coupe and a brougham were new body styles, replacing the landaulet and demi-limousine. The six-cylinder cars was the big news for the year with production models designated as 1912.
The final year of the Model 30 saw significant changes. The wheelbase was lengthened providing even more luxurious accommodations for its passengers. Side curtains were now standard. The ride and handling was enhanced with improved shock absorbers. In the front were 37 x 5 tires and 36x4.5 in the rear. A spare tire of each size could be found on the right running board. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The Packard Motor Company displayed their first motor carriage in 1900, at first New York City auto show. Three years later, the Packard's had improved significantly and their reliability was greatly increased. A 1902 Model F fitted with a Packard single-cylinder 12 horsepower engine and automatic ignition advance made the transcontinental trip from San Francisco to New York in 53 days.
In 1907, Packard introduced their first model to have its name indicate its engine power. It was the Model 30. The Packard Model 30 was powered by a newly-designed T-head four-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 40 horsepower under the ALAM system. The engine had a 5-inch bore and a long 5.5-inch stroke. It displaced 432 cubic-inches and was advertised as making 30 brake horsepower.
The new engine was designed to carry the long, large, and heavy coach-bodys which were become more popular with the wealthy. The engine, itself, required a longer wheelbase chassis to accommodate its size. The drive was through an unusual expanding band clutch with a three-speed transmission to a live rear axle. This setup was in favor of the prior configuration of transverse leaf springs which had been abandoned the previous year with the Model S. Now, the front and rear was given semi-elliptical leaf springs. Redundant braking on the rear wheels was provided by both expanding shoe and contracting band brakes.
During its introductory year, over 1,300 examples were sold. It was an immediate success for the Packard Company. It was a very versatile vehicle, offered in two-wheelbase sizes and several body styles to accommodate a diverse clientele. The Touring, Limousine, and Landaulette coachwork rode on a 122-inch wheelbase while the Sporting Runabout and Gentleman's Roadster rode atop a shorter 108-inch wheelbase. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2008
Bill Warner Founder and Chairman of the Amelia Island Concours d Elegance will be the guest on John McElroy s Autoline After Hours live webcast entitled Sun Kissed Cars at 6 00 PM EST www autoline tv...
McLaren s 50th anniversary will be celebrated at the 19th annual Amelia Island Concours d Elegance on March 9 2014 with a display of rare and significant McLaren racers from five decades of competition...
A significant collection of the world s finest vintage motor cars will roll into Amelia Island March 14th 2009 for RM Auctions highly anticipated Automobiles of Amelia Island auction event A popular...