1908 Economy Model BT
here were several companies during the early 1900s that used the name 'Economy.' One of the earlier companies to use the name was the Economy Motor Buggy Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana, which produced motor buggy's from 1908 through 1911. Their president was William R. Everett, an individual who had worked on developing an experimental electric roadster as well as a light delivery vehicle.
When Economy entered production, the vehicle they offered for sale was a high-wheeler motorized vehicle that was very similar to the common design of the horse-drawn buggies. Their days of production were limited, as they infringed upon patents of the Success Highwheeler from St. Louis. When the Success Company took Economy to court for royalty nonpayment, Economy was unable to pay and was forced out of business. The Economy business officials tried moving out of the town and to another location, going back into business, but they were soon found by the Success Company. Soon, the company was in Bankruptcy.
By late 1909, the companies name was changed Economy Motor Car Company. From 1910 through 1911, most of their production was on commercial vehicles, an area of the market that was still undiscovered.
In 1912, the companies remaining assets were purchased by William E. Pratt of the Pratt Manufacturing Company in Joliet. Evertt's electric roadster was soon being produced under the Pratt name.
The Economy Motor Car Company had offered three models during their short production lifespan. The Model B was produced from 1908 through 1911 and was a one-cylinder vehicle that produced 10 horsepower. It had large wooden wheels and a wheelbase that measured 86-inches. The other two models were the Model E and Model G which were produced from 1909 through 1911. Both were powered by a two-cylinder engine that produced around 24 horsepower. They also had a wheelbase size of 86-inches.by Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
Because of patent disputes, the company moved to Illinois then went out of business. This is an early example of one of the first cars and the second to reside in North Wales, PA. ....[continue reading]