The Lancia Aurelia, designed by Gianni Lancia and Vittorio Jano, first appeared in 1951. An Aurelia GT won the two-liter class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, came second in the Mille Miglia, and dominated the Perscara Six Hour Race in the same year. The beautifully engineered Aurelia (its engine was the first production V6 in the world) was further developed in subsequent years, and the engine was enlarged to 2.4 liters as in this B24 model. This unrestored and original car has been in the same family since 1957. Its first owner was the Brazilian Gordini GP team driver Hermano da Silva Ramos. The car was brought to the United States in 1962 by the owner's father and was garaged until 2001.
Sold for $165,000 at 2011 Worldwide Auctioneers. Sold for $280,500 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The Lancia Aurelia B24S featured a rear-mounted transaxle and a V-6 engine designed by Vittorio Jano. This example is powered by a 2451cc overhead valve, 60-degree engine breathing through a single Weber 40 DCZ5 carburetor. The engine offers 110 horsepower and there is a four-speed manual transmission. Hydraulic drum brakes are at all four corners, with an inboard setup at the rear.
In 1954, Lancia added a Pinin Farina-designed Spider to the Aurelia line. This was followed two years later with a more refined Convertible, featuring a slightly more enclosed cockpit, roll-up windows and improved weather protection.
Lancia produced 521 examples of the B24 convertible between 1956 and 1958. Approximately 160 of those were built on the Fifth Series platform.
This Lancia Aurelia B24S has a larger clutch disc and larger, redesigned front brakes. It is believed that the car was given a restoration in the late 1990s. Imported to the United States in 2000, the car came into the hands of a California collector. Next owner was Mr. Rosenfeld, who owned the car for nearly a decade. It was shown at the Radnor Hunt Concours in 2002 and 2007, and the 2009 Concours d'Elegance of the Eastern United States.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $350,000. As bidding came to close, the car had been sold for $280,500 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Sold for $254,506 (€197,000) at 2012 Coys. Sold for $416,354 (€308,000) at 2014 RM Sothebys. When introduced in B10 guise at the 1950 Turin Show, the Auerlia offered 56 horsepower from the 1756cc engine. The following year, the B12 was introduced and the engine capacity rose to 1991cc and 70 horsepower. There was also the B20GT, a 2+2 Pininfarina coupe with a shorter wheelbase and 80 horsepower. This was arguable the first true GT in the modern sense of the word. The Auerlia enjoyed an illustrious competition career, including Giovanni Bracco's second place finish at the 1951 Mille Miglia, class wins the 1951 and 1952 LeMans 24 Hours and a 1-2-3 in the 1952 Targa Florio.
In 1952, Lancia introduced the B15 with a long wheelbase, wider track and 65 horsepower engine. The normal wheelbase B22 now offered 90 horsepower and a convertible Spyder option was also available. It was the following year that the B20 GT 2500 was launched. Louis Chrion used an example to win the 1954 Monte Carlo Rally.
In 1955, the B24 Spyder was added to the lineup - also known as the Spyder America - and again wore coachwork by Pininfarina but with an eight inch shorter wheelbase. The B24 was the evolution of a concept car and feature a distinctive, unique wrap-around windscreen in the fashion of the day, and quarter-light windows. They weighed 25kg less than their GT 2500 siblings, and had the same specifications. Just 181 examples of the B24 spyder were produced, and several were lost while in transit to the United States when the liner Andrea Doria sank en route. Next came the B24 Convertible, which was less Spartan with its wind-up windows and higher windscreen
This B24S vehicle is chassis number B24S 1333 and was shipped to the United States right after it left the factory. In 1986 it was sold to Steve Peterson from California to a collector in Germany. In 1997 it was purchased by Paul Shinhofen and then treated the car to a five year comprehensive restoration. The body was refinished in the original color of 'Grigio'. After the work was completed, the car was selected to represent the model at the '100 years of Lancia' Jubilee celebrations at the Fiat Museum.
In 2006, the car was sold to the current owner. In 2012, it was sold to a new owner at the Coy's auction in Monaco. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2013
Sold for $379,500 at 2013 Bonhams. This Lancia B24S (for 'Sinistra' or left hand drive) Convertible has only had three owners from new. Dr. Jerome Levinson of Poway, California took delivery of his new convertible in 1959. This Aurelia, while built in 1957, carries a title dated 1959.
When new it was finished in Silver with its rare optional hardtop finished in black over a red interior. Early on, Dr. Levinson changed the color of the car's exterior, choosing Pino Verde metallizato, or pine green metallic for the body and pale green metallic for the hardtop.
Dr. Levinson retained the car for nearly 3 decades. When he sold the car, it had approximately 50,000 miles on the odometer. It was sold to Mr. Robert Scarpone of San Anselmo, California in 1987. Mr. Scarpone hired the current owner to gently re-commission the car. In his care he replaced the original steel wheels with the Borrani wire wheels which it wears today. The carpets were replaced and fitted a replacement soft top. After using the Lancia sparingly in the first few years of his ownership he took it off the road, removing and disassembling the engine in anticipation of a full restoration to follow.
For 15 years the Aurelia rested in that state in clean storage. The current owner was able to negotiate its purchase from Mr. Scarpone in 2005. During the next five years he carefully rebuilt and balanced the engine and all other driveline components, and rebuilt the brakes.
Modifications have been made to the vehicle over the year, including fitting an electric fuel pump to prime the carburetor and to assist in high altitude running. The voltage regulator has also been converted to electronic operation. It rides on correct Pirelli Cinturato tires and has a Borrani wire wheel as a spare. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2013
This vehicle was purchased new by the L.A. Times Chairman Otis Chandler who was a car collector and racer. The second owner was a member of the Cunningham race team and the third owner is the current owner.
The car is powered by a 118 hp water-cooled single overhead-cam 2.5-liter engine fitted with two-barrel carburetors, Nardi air filter, speed equipment and Borranni wire wheels. The car is equipped with the original tool kit and jack.
The car sold for $5,500 when new and 160 Series V cars were constructed between 1956 and 1958.
This 1957 Lancia was produced November 23, 1956 and was designed under the direction of Vittorio Jano. It is one of 176 built in 1957. A total of 521 cars were produced from 1956 to 1958. All had the 2,451 cc V6 engine.
There is a complete history of ownership in Italy. The current owner purchased the car on January 1, 2014 in Biella Italy, and recently completed a three year rotisserie restoration.
Only 330 examples of the striking B24 were ever produced. This very special automobile, produced for a scant 3 years, offered a host of bristling features in typical Lancia fashion. From the lovely Pininfarina lines down to the remarkably modern mechanicals, the Aurelia B24 Spider was a guaranteed classic.
The Aurelia series was comprised of a full lineup of first-rate cars, with the B20 GT coupe and B24 Spider stationed at its top. The B20 GT was an influential car in its own right. Automotive author Quentin Wilson recognizes that the car is 'often credited as the first of the new breed of modern postwar GT's.' The model that history has looked upon with the most favor, though, has been the B24 Spider.
The B24 offered all the mechanical prowess of other Aurelias, and combined it with the best styling of the series. One of Pininfarina's masterpieces, the B24 is today one of the most highly regarded Lancias. It was a true roadster with a very basic top and simple side curtains as the only degrees of separation between the driver and the outside world. Yet its ample luggage space and pleasant interior begged for an alfresco getaway into the rich scenery of its Italian homeland.
Featuring monocoque construction, already a Lancia hallmark for decades, the B24 was built by Pininfarina. That famed carrozzerie of Italy also, of course, penned the elegant lines.
With its tight, lean curves, the Lancia escaped the bulbous trends of the 1950's. At the car's front, the wheels rested beneath sleek pontoon fenders with subtle flares. Those fenders swept back to form a seamless downward curve that ran nearly to the rear edge of the doors before quickly ramping back up to a peak just beyond the cockpit. The rear fenders, bulging slightly from the rest of the car, formed tight muscles in a predatory haunch. The B24's graceful, athletic stance belied its superb poise.
There was a terrific attention to detail in the Lancia's design. The way the split front bumpers led to the proud grille. The way the unfettered rear could have been grown from the soil. The way the delicate curved windshield rested lightly atop the body, an airy marvel of metal and glass placed as if only to frame for driver and passenger the gorgeous view out over the long hood. The Aurelia was fine sculpture at its fastest.
All that elegance translated perfectly into the interior. Free of fussy details, its painted metal dash housed a simple array of instruments and a thin wood-rim steering wheel. The seats took up the width of the interior and, with tops flush with the car's body, blended seamlessly with the B24's outside.
The Aurelia's mechanical sophistication was every bit as impressive as the design. At the heart of the B24 was a 2451cc V6 cast entirely of aluminum alloy. The Aurelia series brought to market the first ever mass-produced V6, and it was a gem. With its 60-degree V and light construction, the engine would not be out of place in a new car. The phenomenal sound may be unheard of today, but the basic design surely is not.
Vittorio Jano was the man responsible for the development of the Lancia V6, which began life as a 1754cc unit. Jano, an invaluable engineer with Alfa Romeo during the company's all-conquering racing career of the 1920's and 1930's, knew more about building fine engines than perhaps anyone else at the time. His metallic marvel produced 118hp in the B24.
The engine was not the only impressive collection of moving parts on the Lancia. The car's other famous feature was its transaxle. Incorporating the transmission, differential, and even brakes all into one compact unit had several benefits on the car. Most notably, it perfected weight distribution and reduced unsprung weight at the rear axle. The result was a great-handling automobile with ballet dancer balance and razor-sharp reflexes.
Suspending the Lancia was a relatively simple system with a sliding pillar up front. The rear of the car used leaf springs, but a De Dion rear axle ensured the excellent road manners already made possible by the car's light engine and use of a transaxle.
Market values of the Aurelia B24 Spider have reached stratospheric heights, and the cars routinely sell for well over $200,000. These vehicles have become established classics with unrivaled Italian pedigree and prestige. They have rightly become known as one of the best Lancias ever made.
Wilson, Quentin. The Ultimate Classic Car Book. First. London: Dorling Kindersley Limited, 1995. By Evan Acuña
In 1950 the Lancia Aurelia was introduced to the public at the Turin Motorshow and had been created as a replacement for the Lancia Aprilia. Under the hood was a new six-cylinder engine in 'Vee' configuration. To reduce weight various body panels had been constructed of aluminum including the hood and doors. The clutch and four-speed gearbox was mounted in the rear using a single unit with the differential. The suspension in the rear was independent while the front was a sliding pillar type.
The first in the series was the B10 berlina. Power came from a 1574 cc engine producing nearly 60 horsepower. The four-door pillarless saloon was criticized for its performance issues so Lancia answered the complaints with the introduction of the B21 produced a year later. There was little to distinguish the B10 from the B21, the only difference lying under the hood. The 1574 cc engine had been replaced with a 1991 cc engine producing 70 horsepower. To add sporty-appeal, a B20 GT Coupe was introduced in the same year. The two-door coupe was designed by Boano from Ghia. Gianpaolo Boano was the son of Ghia owner Mario Felice Boano. Production was handled by Pininfarina. It sat atop a shortened wheelbase and used a tuned-version of the 1991 cc engine now producing 75 horsepower. Production was low with only 500 examples produced. A second coupe series was created using a tuned-version of the 1991 cc engine now producing 80 horsepower. Mechanical improvements included better brakes and a lowered suspension, both resulting in better performance. Styling changes were mostly confined to the interior, the most noticeable being done to the instrument panel.
In 1950 an extended wheelbase version of the B10 was introduced featuring different tires and gear ratios. These were dubbed the B50 and the B51. When the 2-liter engine was introduced, the name was changed to B52 and B53. Production was low with the B50 having the most examples created, 583. There were 184 B52 models, 6 B55 and only 5 B56 models. A single B60 was created. The B55 and B56 were examples with the 2-liter engine and a de Dion rear suspension. The purpose of these specialty models was to allow custom coachbuilders such as PininFarina, Bertone, Viotti, Vignale, Ghia, among others to design and build unique creations. One of the more famous designs was created by PininFarina. It was a concept car dubbed the PF2000. A few examples were created for display at motor shows, such as the Lancia Aurelia B52 B JR built by Ghia for the 1953 Turin Motor Show.
Lancia lengthened the B21 and dubbed it the B15. It received a de-tuned engine, now producing 65 horsepower. Bodied by Bertone, the B15 was produced in low quantities; just over 80 examples were created.
In 1953 Lancia introduced the B20 Coupe, the third in the series, powered by a 2451 cc engine producing nearly 120 horsepower. This marked the first time a left-hand-drive version of the Aurelia could be purchased. The independent rear suspension could not handle the extra power from the new engine so it was changed in favor of a de Dion system. 720 examples were created.
By 1952 Lancia had created a replacement for the B21 berlina, the B22. It was basically the same as its replacement except for improvements under the hood. The engine had been given double-barrel Weber carburetors among other improvements which resulted in the production of 90 horsepower. There were styling changes included, most done to the interior such as the instruments and the indicators. In 1954 Lancia ceased production of the B22 and introduced the B12. During its production lifespan, nearly 1100 examples were produced.
The B12 was one of the first drastic changes to the Aurelia, both mechanically and aesthetically, since its inception. The engine was a 2266 cc powerplant producing 87 horsepower. The rear suspension was changed in favor of a de Dion system. Wind deflectors were placed on the windows and the headlights were changed. During its production lifespan, around 2400 examples were produced.
In 1955 the audience at the Brussels Motor Show was introduced to the B24 Spider. Lancia had tasked Pininfarina to design and produce a limited number of vehicles using a shortened wheelbase from the B12. Power was supplied from a 2451 cc engine. A convertible was later introduced and quickly became the favorite, with 521 Convertibles and 240 Spiders produced.
The production of the berlina ceased in 1955. The Coupe and Convertible series continued until 1958. There were a total of six series for the coupe. The fifth series began to shy away from performance gains and focused more on luxury. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2007