High bid of $120,000 at 2009 Sports & Classics of Monterey. (did not sell)
For 1932, the Stutz SV-16 could be purchased on either a 134.5- or 145-inch wheelbase. There was over 30 body styles to select from, with such memorable names as Monte Carlo, Prince of Wales, Patrician Coupe, Longchams, Versailles, and Chaumont. All were powered by the 16-valve single overhead camshaft inline eight-cylinder engine offering 113 horsepower. They were equipped with a Warner four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel servo-assisted hydraulic drum brakes. Pricing ranged from $2,990 to nearly $7,500.
The early 1930s was a very difficult economical time, and Stutz put up a impressive fight against the Great Depression. It had been riddled with a crippling history, with its namesake leaving in 1919 and the stock manipulations of Alan Ryan in the twenties.
In 1926, the company introduced the Vertical Eight engine, mounted in a new double-drop chassis frame with worm gear rear axle and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. With this new chassis, Stutz cars were able to ride several inches lower, gained a performance and safety advantage, and had a racier appearance than the competition.
The Vertical Eight engine had the balance of an eight-cylinder engine, plus the addition of an overhead camshaft for better valve timing and a Link-Belt silent chain to drive it. It was a silent and refined engine that achieved better volumetric efficiency than most other engines of its time.
The cylinder wars continued to escalate in the early 1930s, with many companies introduced a powerful 8- or 12-cylinder option. Two companies boldly offered a V16. Stutz responded by renaming their powerplant to SV16 - for single valve sixteen - and adding a logo on the headlight tie bar that looked similar to Cadillac's new V16.
This 1932 Stutz V16 Roadster has coachwork by Derham, Inc., of Rosemount, Pennsylvania. It was once owned by Mr. Kinglseigh in Pennsylvania during the 1960s. In 1990, it was purchased by M. Hans Luscher in Europe, and remained with him until 2002. It was part of the Hans Luscher Collection auction performed by Christie's and sold to the present owner.
The car has been given a comprehensive professional restoration. There are twin side-mounted spares with metal covers, a single center mounted Pilot Ray driving light, and a rear mounted trunk.
In 2009, this SV16 Roadster was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $180,000-$220,000. The lot failed to sell after achieving a high bid of $120,000.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
Stutz, named for its founder, Henry Stutz, was a company with a strong engineering background - beginning with initial success at Indianapolis in 1911 that earned the company a reputation as 'the car that made good in a day.' Along with Duesenberg, Stutz maintained a racing presence. The last Stutz was manufactured in 1934 after a total of only 35,000 cars were produced in the company's 25-year history.
During the early 1930s, America's luxury brands launched into a cylinder war offering engines up to 16 cylinders. Stutz was in a weak financial position and unable to develop such an engine so it upgraded its straight eight-cylinder engine with an overhead cam and 16 valve dual ignition. It was named SV-16 recognizing the number of valves and giving the illusion of the multi-cylinder cars. The engine displaced 322 cubic-inches and developed 133 horsepower. The car cost $3,250 in 1932 and only 120 were sold.
This convertible coupe with coachwork by LeBaron was originally a sedan and was used as a logging vehicle in northern Minnesota, after its life as a passenger car. A restoration was started in the early 1980s and the rotted sedan body was discarded. After purchased the car in 2001, the current owner purchased a Stutz with an original convertible coupe body and the restoration commenced. Sparing no expense, a lot of research went into determining what was correct and what had to be reversed to restore the car to an original 1932 Stutz SV-16 convertible coupe. Original parts were used when available. With the help and support of the Stutz Club and every known Stutz expert, the car is as authentic as can be determined many years later.
The less powerful of the two Stutz Eights, the Stutz SV16 was introduced in 1932 and was produced until 1936. These were the final years of the Stutz motor company. With only 113 hp, the SV16 did feature two long chassis that carried the same luxurious bodies much like the famous DV32, and a twin-ignition engine much like the more contemporary Nash unit. Unfortunately it wasn't a particularly light automobile, weighing in at over two tons.
The body itself of the Stutz SV 16 was magnificent and all Stutz models are CCCA Classics. Featuring graceful coachwork both open and closed, from 1932 until 1936 the Stutz SV16 was a beautiful automobile and there was also the existence of a Bearcat model. Weighing anywhere between 4,448lbs and 5,346lbs, the SV1 featured a ohc 1-8 engine, 322,0 cid and priced new ranged from $1,895 to $5,346. Unfortunately the SV16 was mechanically complex and less than 300 units were ever produced.
Only 35,000 vehicles were ever produced during Stutz's 25-year history. All Stutz vehicles produced during the Classis Era from 1925 until 1948 are officially recognized as Full Classics TM, ‘as defined by the Classic Car Club of America', as a final tribute.By Jessica Donaldson