Sold for $88,000 at 2013 RM Auctions - Amelia Island.
Riley became part of the Morris-MG-Wolseley Nuffield Organization in 1938. The RM was announced in 1945 and would continue to preserve the Riley character with a technically-advanced chassis and with coach-built choices of sporting designs. Riley's engine was carried owner and featured hemispherical combustion chambers and twin camshafts operating included valves through short pushrods. The Rile RM-series cars are often called 'the last of the real Rileys', were among the first to wear new British designs after World War II.
It is believed that this 1951 Riley was originally delivered in New York to a British fox-hunting family. A running fox hood ornament was added as well as a traditional 'owner's box' with an engraved silver plaque. The original owner's manual and original workshop manuals are still with the vehicle in modern times. It also retains its original seven-inch Lucas driving lights, officially referred to as 'King of the Road' lamps.
The car is finished in British Racing Green ad has new cognac leather upholstery. The mahogany trim has been restored and the instruments were rebuilt. There is a new Haartz fabric top with a full inner liner and a matching boot. There is floor level fresh-air ventilators found on either side of the coachwork.
Just 28,306 RM-series cars were produced, and just 503 were drophead coupes. It is believed that around just 50 examples have survived. This car has been driven 50,000 miles.
The 2443cc overhead valve twin-camshaft four-cylinder engine is fitted with twin SU carburetors and produces 100 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and an independent front suspension with torsion bars. In the back is a live axle with semi-elliptic springs.By Daniel Vaughan | May 2013