The name speaks to the car's powerful 16-cylinder, 1000-horsepower engine and Cadillac's heritage as a maker of fine luxury automobiles. Cadillac's reputation grew exponentially during the '30s in no small part because of the development of the automotive 's first V-16. The Cadillac Sixteen's grand exterior proportions create an unparalleled presence; its splendid interior is meticulously handcrafted and urbane.
General Motors' designers drew extensively on the traditions of the coachbuilt era in crafting the Cadillac Sixteen, employing the distinctive talents of leading artisans for the upholstery, instrumentation, interior wood and metal elements, and aluminum body panels.
As an exterior statement, the Cadillac Sixteen's proportional composition is bold. The aluminum hood is long, giving the Cadillac Sixteen tremendous dash-to-axle dimension; the wheel arches were designed to accommodate the beautiful 24-inch polished aluminum wheels. The four-door hardtop incorporates an all-glass roof and is without B-pillars. Crisp-edged lines of the midnight silver aluminum body panels accentuate the Cadillac Sixteen's striking appearance.
Even the engine compartment, wîth its sculpted design, has drama. With dual panels hinged about a center spine that runs the length of the expansive hood, it makes an event out of opening the engine bay. The hood panels are power-operated.
The interior theme is evocative of the posh accommodations of 1930s-era Cadillacs, but wîth contemporary style. For instance, the dashboard features a center-mounted Bvlgari clock.
The hand-stitched, Tuscany leather upholstered seats nestle the occupants. The right rear seat features power adjustable slope to recline like a chaise lounge. Warm, hand-woven silk carpets the floor in a light cream color that matches the leather upholstery. The dash, door panels, and front and rear consoles are trimmed wîth walnut burl veneer inlays.
Meanwhile, the custom-designed crystal on the cluster dials offers subtle cues of the Cadillac Sixteen's precise engineering, elegance and craftsmanship.
While GM designers drew inspiration from the ultra-luxury sedan's ancestry, the Cadillac Sixteen is thoroughly modern in its powerplant and technological content.
The Cadillac Sixteen's 32-valve V-16 concept engine displaces 13.6 liters and is mated to a four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
The engine features fuel-saving Displacement on Demand technology, debuting in 2004 on some 2005 GM models, which shuts down half of the cylinders during most driving conditions and automatically and seamlessly reactivates them for more demanding conditions, such as brisk acceleration or load hauling cylinders when the driver needs the engine's full power. The engine produces 1000 horsepower and 1000 lbs.-ft. of torque.
The extensive use of aluminum components and structure provide substantial weight advantages. The aluminum-steel chassis employs high-arm SLA suspension up front and independent semi-trailing arm suspension in the rear. Four-wheel §teering enhances the Cadillac Sixteen's maneuverability. The front and rear brakes are six-piston calipers wîth 16-inch rotors.
Electronic amenities include a rear-seat DVD information system, Bose sound system, and the fifth-generation OnStar in-vehicle safety and security communication system. The head and tail lamps feature LED technology.Source - GM
The all-aluminum 13.6-liter (830 cu in), 32-valve, 16-cylinder XV16 engine features:
• Displacement on Demand (DOD) fuel-saving technology that allows the engine to run on 4, 8 or 16 cylinders
• Variable camshaft phasing and an enhanced combustion system that enhance the XV16's fuel economy, emissions and power output
• Strong titanium alloy valves and valve springs
• Twice the number of cylinders but fewer parts than any DOHC V-8 engine in the The Sixteen embodies the bold, dramatic design of Cadillac
• Much of the car's structure and body panels are made of aluminum Source - Cadillac
• A one-piece, cast-aluminum front bulkhead replaces 13 stamped parts used in typical vehicle construction
• Únique vehicle form made possible by highly refined and malleable aluminum
Wheels wîth Class and Elegance
The Cadillac Sixteen's wheel arches are specially designed to accommodate the beautiful 24-in. polished aluminum wheels mated wîth Michelin P265/40R24 tires
4-wheel §teering enhances the Cadillac Sixteen's maneuverability and gives superior high-speed handling
The Quadrasteer™ 4-wheel §teering system features:
• At lower speeds, Quadrasteer™ allows for a tighter turning radius improving Sixteen's agility during tight turns and parking maneuvers
• At highway speeds, the rear wheels steer wîth the front wheels for remarkable stability and control
The interior of the Cadillac Sixteen is a pure expression of design, wîth fine woods, precision-cut metals and crystal
The Sixteen offers opulent yet refined interior features:
• Hand-stitched Tuscany leather seating surfaces
• Hand-woven silk carpets
• Custom-designed crystal gauge dials
• Custom BVLGARI® clock
• Reclining rear seats wîth foot and leg rests
• Bose® sound system
• DVD Information and Entertainment system
• 5th-generation OnStar in-vehicle safety and security communication system