1909 International Harvester Model AA
t the beginning of this new century, one of the most popular cars is the 'all purpose vehicle,' one that can carry the groceries, the lumber for weekend projects, and take the family on an outing. In 1907, the International Harvester Company introduced an earlier version of the 'one car to do everything' - the Auto-Wagon. With the rear seat removed, the Auto-Wagon could participate in daily work around the farm, and on Sunday with the rear seat in place, it could also carry the family to church in style. Sold through International dealers that traditionally handled farm equipment, and built purposely to look as much like a buggy as possible, these 'high-wheelers' had solid rubber tires and large wheels to allow for high clearance on the unpaved country roads.
In 1909, Auto-Wagons had horizontally-opposed, air-cooled engines - located under the front seat and bed - and its rear bead could be fitted with one or two passenger seats, carrying up to nine people. The tank on the front of the vehicle with the familiar IHC insignia is a gas tank, not a radiator, as the air-cooled engine didn't need a water reserve. By 1911, International Harvester was building 'high-wheelers' in truck form only and less than a year later, they were out of auto production completely, although they continued to build trucks for many years.
Collection of Ruth E. Staite-PorterSource - SDAM
This 1909 IHC (International Harvester Company) Auto Wagon was bought new by Dr. Hendricks to use in the BallGround Georgia Coca-Cola bottling plant. They had two Auto Wagons which were used to deliver coke and supplies in the country. It had a hard ....[continue reading]