1913 Cadillac Model 30
In advertisements for the 1913 model Cadillac's, the company first used their 'Standard of the World' slogan, a phrase that appears on this vehicle's Motometer (the Motometer is a glass-encased temperature gauge on the radiator that provides a reading visible to the driver. Cadillac's factory was, with precision manufacturing, producing interchangeable parts, a brand new concept within the auto industry. They had set 1/1000th of an inch as the standard of measurement. And with in-house mass-production of a single line of cars, they were able to offer a high quality car at a moderate price. Cadillac had every reason to feel that the '30' was a world-class car within the reach of most buyers.
Harnessing the necessary power to put the engine pistons and shafts in motion was a major advance. Prior attempts to harness the power of compressed air, springs, levers or acetylene explosion were unreliable. In 1912, Cadillac introduced the electric starter-ignition-lighting system, ending the chore of hand cranking forever. It took only four years for every major American car except the Ford Model T to abandon the crank. This system also provided the power to run electric lights.
The advent of the electric starter made operating a car much easier and less arduous. Starting a car with a crank required not only a good deal of strength, but agility as well.
Collection of Fern & Dwight SanfordSource - SDAM
The four-passenger Phaeton was a new body style for 1913, and was the only one that had trim molding running around the body. 1913 was the second year for the electric starter, for which Cadillac won the Dewar Trophy, and for which the slogan, 'The Standard of the World' was adapted. The engine in this car displaces 365.8 cubic-inches, and it produces 58.7 horsepower. This car was originally delivered on April 25, 1913, to Crescent Auto Company in Jersey City, NJ. The price was $1,975.00. This car has been driven on many tours, including one from Portland, Maine, to Portland, OR, in 1985.
Sold for $82,500 at 2009 Automobiles of Amelia Island.High bid of $90,000 at 2011 RM Auctions - Hershey. (did not sell)
In 1912, Cadillac introduced the revolutionary 'electric self-start', which made the starting process more convenient, less difficult and dangerous. Another important feature for the Cadillac cars of this era was the electrically operated lights, by virtue of their Delco electrical system. These innovative features helped Cadillac reach a new sales record in 1913 with 15,018 cars sold.
For 1913, Cadillac updated the styling of their vehicles, giving them more graceful, sweeping lines which were made easier due to the four-inch longer wheelbase. The carriage era styling had now been completely replaced by bodywork with a full cowl, fully enclosed driver controls, and flowing fenders.
The Model 30 was powered by an L-head 365.8 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine rated at around 40-50 horsepower. The Model 30 included a chain-driven camshaft, a longer stroke, an enclosed valve stem, and a simpler and more compact starter and generator.
This Model 30 Phaeton is a fully restored example that has been awarded a National First Place at the New England Region Cadillac-LaSalle show, held in Portsmouth, Rhode Island in 2008. It is finished in blue with black fenders and a black radiator shell. It has a black folding top, nickel-plated brass components, rear-mounted spare tires and artillery wheels with whitewall tires. The interior is trimmed in button-tufted black leather upholstery that remains in superb condition.
In 2009, this Model 30 Five-Passenger Phaeton was offered for sale at the Automobiles of Amelia Island Auction presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $90,000 - $120,000, and offered without reserve. It was sold for a high bid of $82,500, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
The Cadillac Model 30 was introduced in 1908 and remained in production until September of 1914. When first introduced, the Model Thirty sold for $1400 and available as a three-passenger Roadster, 2-door Demi-Tonneau with seating for four, or a two-door, five passenger Tourer.
The wheelbase was 106-inches and powered by a 226.2 cubic-inch engine with five main bearings. There were three forward gears with a selective sliding transmission and a reverse gear. Mechanical brakes were on the rear wheels.
In 1910, the cost of the Model 30 increased to $1600. Additional body styles were added to the lineup, including a limousine and coupe.
For 1911, the cost continued to increase, now reaching a base of $1700. A Torpedo and four-door Touring body style was added.
In 1912, the base price increased another $100 and by 1913 the price was just under $2000.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2007
Cadillac's first vehicles were single-cylinder vehicles that offered reasonable power and durability. The single-cylinder engine would stay in production for six years. The third year of Cadillac production, a four-cylinder engine was introduced offering slightly more horsepower allowing for larger and heavier bodies to be fitted on the chassis. In 1905 the Model D featured seating for five and powered by a massive 300 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine attached to a wheelbase that measured 100-inches. Only 156 examples were produced this year of the Model D, and accounted for only a small percentage of Cadillac's annual production, reaching around 4000 units. Nevertheless, the large and powerful engines in Cadillac's arsenal would continue to foster, growing into a sixteen-cylinder unit by the early 1930s.
In 1906 Cadillac offered two models with four-cylinder engines, the Model L and the Model H. The engines displaced 393 cubic-inches and provided ample amounts of power and torque. The following year, Cadillac introduced the Model G, which was a simpler version of the Model L and H. It had a 226.2 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine which produced 20 horsepower and rested on a wheelbase that was the same size as the Model D, and two inches shorter than the Model H. The Model H sold for $2400 to $3600 while the Model G, in all three bodystyles, sold for $2000.
For 1908, production of the Model G reached 1,030 units which accounted for 40-percent of Cadillac's annual total.
For 1909, Cadillac offered only one model, the Model 30, named for its 30 horsepower engien. It was a refined version of the Model G that rested on a longer wheelbase and offered only in open body styles. Its price tag was around two-thirds that of the price of the Model G. The public approved, buying nearly six times as many cars as Cadillac's annual production total in 1908.
The Model 30 was offered in three bodystyles consisting of a demi-tonneau, a tourer, and a roadster. The demi-tonneau had a detachable tonneau which could be converted to a runabout, greatly adding to the appeal and versatility of the vehicle. A windshield was optional equipment; when ordered it was attached to a wood dashboard fitted over the cowl. Closed bodystyles returned in 1910 in the form of a coupe and limousine.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007