In 1906 a new model, the 40/50 horsepower, was developed with a longer chassis and a six-cylinder engine. The popularity of the new Rolls-Royce grew quickly as it developed a reputation for smoothness, silence, flexibility and, above all, reliability. In 1907 a writer from the 'Autocar' described riding in the Rolls-Royce 40/50 hp as '....the feeling of being wafted through the countryside.' Engineers at Rolls-Royce coined the word 'waftability' to encapsulate that sensation. Today it is a word that cannot be found in any direction but it is a key design and engineering criterion.
The twelfth 40/50 produced had all its fittings silver-plated and the coachwork painted in aluminum paint. This car became known as the Silver Ghost and is probably the most famous car in the world. The name was later adopted for all the 40/50 hp car and had an immediate international impact, enhanced by the coachbuilders of the day, who could produce bodies of breathtaking beauty. The Silver Ghost was, quite simply, in a class of its own.
The motor car's versatility is legendary. It overwhelmingly won every reliability trial and distance record, dominated the great Alpine Trial of 1913 and won the Spanish Grand Prix of that year.
In May 1907, Claude Johnson drove the car to Scotland and back. This run was a precursor to the Scottish Reliability Trial for which the motor car was later awarded a gold model by the RAC.
The original idea was to drive 10,000 miles without stopping the engine, but the Silver Ghost proved so reliable that the target was raised to 15,000 miles. Despite a stall at 629 miles, when rough roads shook the petrol switch to the off position, the Silver Ghost ran faultlessly for 40 days and nights.
A further challenge was designed by Napier for Rolls-Royce to compete against them in a run from London to Edinburgh followed by high-speed runs at Brooklands. But the challenge was to complete the distance without changing gear, as opposed to how far you could travel. The car, driven by Ernest Hives, averaged 24.3 mpg between London and Edinburgh and attained a speed of 78.2 mph at Brooklands.
As an armored car in the First World War The Silver Ghost delivered exemplary service to the extent that Colonel T.E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) is quoted as saying, 'A Rolls in the desert is above rubies'.
In more elegant guise the Silver Ghost was the choice of the rich and famous across the globe. Kings, queens, maharajas, tsars and emperors owned them. The demand for the Silver Ghost was so high that manufacture was started in the United States in 1921 and continued in production with worldwide success until 1925.Source - Rolls-Rocye Motor Cars Limited The Rolls-Royce vehicles have always been the pinnacle of design, technology, and ambiance. The loudest noise that could be heard by occupants of their vehicles was said to be the clock. In 1904 engineer Frederick Henry Royce joined with the entrepreneur and businessman, the Honorable Charles Stewart Rolls. This union became known as the Rolls-Royce Company.
The Silver Ghost became available in 1906 and brought with it quality and technology to a level that had never been seen before on a motor vehicle. Most engines of the time had long and flexible crankshafts that were prone to vibration and noise. The Rolls-Royce engines had large bearings and pressurized oiling systems, secured by seven main bearings. This was then enclosed in a strong aluminum alloy crankcase eliminating much noise and creating a pleasurable driving experience for the occupants of the vehicle. The crankshaft had an accuracy of .00025 on its bearing surface. They were hand polished to remove any surface cracks left by the grinder. Instead of using noisy chains to drive the ignition, Royce used gears. Phosphor bronze and nickel steel were used in the construction of the timing gears which were then ground and polished by hand. The engine was further shortened by casting in triplets. Cooling problems and leaks were eliminated by the removable cylinder blocks and fixed heads. A Royce designed twin jet carburetor gave the engine all the breathing it required.
The Rolls Royce vehicles could accelerate from zero to top speed without shifting. Shifting during the early 1900's was a chore, with the lower gears never being smooth. It was not until top gear was achieved that the automobiles would operate properly. The Rolls-Royce Ghosts would accelerate as though they were being pulled. This feature, coupled with the vehicle's silent operation amplified the vehicle's prestige and was the ultimate driving experience of its day.
When first introduced, the Ghosts were given a four-speed gearbox with a direct drive third and an overdrive fourth. As time passed, the overdrive was dropped. The chassis was mostly conventional. Royce had fine-tuned the chassis to standards much higher than most marque's of the day. The body was held in place by a live rear axle carried in three-quarter elliptical springs. In the front, there was a solid axle supported by semi-elliptic leaf springs. Braking was by a foot pedal connected to a transmission brake. A hand brake operated twin rear drums.
Where Royce excelled in engineering, Rolls excelled in promoting and marketing. In 1906 a Ghost was entered in the Tourist Trophy Race, one of the most prestigious races of the time. The Ghost emerged victorious - well, much more than that. It had beaten the next nearest competitor by 27 minutes. Next, Rolls and Royce entered a Ghost in a 15,000-mile reliability run in 1907 which it did without incident. Upon its return to the Rolls-Royce shop, it took a small amount of money, about two-pounds or roughly ten-dollars by today's exchange rates, to restore the vehicle back to new condition.
The Silver Ghosts were entered in the Austrian Alpine Trials where the hoods were sealed shut to prevent any maintenance. The Silver Ghosts again dominated the competition and traversed the Alpine passes which were impassable for many motor cars.
This marketing worked and soon the Rolls-Royce vehicles became legendary and renowned for their durability, reliability, and style. To improve upon the prestige even further, Rolls supplied the Silver Ghosts to British royalty, a move that made sure the vehicles were seen in the right places by the right people.
The first Rolls-Royce distributor in the United States was Walter Martin of New York City, who was also a Cadillac distributor. As Cadillac continued to improve the ambiance of their vehicles, Martin naturally gave them more attention as the logistics of company location was in their favor. Rolls-Royce, on the other hand, was an ocean apart.
Over the early years of Rolls-Royce production, Brewster would become more effective in bringing Rolls-Royce chassis to America than Martin. Brewster imported several dozen chassis to supply its coachwork clients.
In 1913, the business manager for Rolls-Royce, Claude Johnson, formed a factory depot in New York and rented space from Brewster. Baker's US agent, Robert W. Schuette was appointed as Rolls-Royce distributor. At the time, Schuette also represented Fleetwood, Holbrook, Brewster, and Quinby. Around 100 Rolls-Royce's were imported over the next two years by Schuette, with around half of them bodied by Brewster.
As the First World War began to escalate, the production of Rolls-Royce automobiles slowed considerably. The factory's attention was turned to cars for military clients. Engines were produced for aircraft. By 1916, there were no more new Rolls-Royces available. Schuette and Brewster were still able to satisfy US demand for Rolls-Royce's by buying up existing chassis, renovating, and then fitting them with new coachwork. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
Production of the Silver Ghost's began in 1907 and would continue for nearly two decades. The name 'Silver Ghost' was taken from the silver Baker-bodied tourer built for Managing Director Claude Johnson. It had been christened the 'Silver Ghost', a....[continue reading]
This Rolls-Royce features custom coachwork by Merrimac Body Company, which was the largest supplier of bodies to the American-based Rolls-Royce manufacturing operation in Springfield, Mass. (1920-1931).....[continue reading]
This 1925 Silver Ghost, serial #364RK, was purchased new on August 2nd of 1926, by Mr. Henwar Rodakiewitz of Buzzard's Bay, MA. This car was his daily driver for over 50 years. In an interview with CBS television in 1972, Mr. Rodakiewitz commented th....[continue reading]
In 1921, Rolls-Royce opened a plant in Springfield, MA, to make the Silver Ghost. These cars were almost identical to the British manufactured examples including right hand drive. There were minor differences from the U.K. versions such as the wheels....[continue reading]
This automobile was and still is tops in the 'prestige field.' This vehicle was personally owned by Rudolph Valentino, of the silent screen era. The body paint was intentionally alligatored when new to create the effect of leather-covered body.....[continue reading]
This right-hand drive Springfield Silver Ghost Piccadilly Roadster is one of the last right-hand drive Springfield cars. It was delivered on April 15th of 1925 to Samuel S. Conrad, owner of a Boston department store and a celebrated yachtsman. It was....[continue reading]
This Springfield Silver Ghost was delivered new on 9/12/25 with a Pall Mall Phaeton body built by RRCCW Merrimac. In 1932, the Pall Mall body was removed and a Playboy Roadster body built by Brewster & Co. of New York was put on this chassis. At that....[continue reading]
This Piccadilly Roadster has completed over 30,000 miles by the current owners since 1988. It has toured throughout the United States, all the Canadian Provinces, New Zealand, Austria, the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Hungary, Italy and Germany.....[continue reading]
Named by Autocar magazine as 'the best car in the world' in 1907, the Rolls-Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost was produced both at the Derby, England, factory from 1907, and from 1921 until 1926 by the Springfield, Massachusetts, factory. The name 'Silver Gho....[continue reading]
Production of the Silver Ghost began in Springfield, Massachusetts in the late 1920s. All of the early Silver Ghosts were right-hand drive with left hand drives only coming in 1925. This was the last year for the Silver Ghost as it was replaced by th....[continue reading]
This 'Pall Mall' Sports Tourer was delivered new to Mr. J. R. Thompson, Sr. of Chicago, IL on May 12, 1925 and stayed with him for a number of years. In the mid-1970s this Ghost, still carrying its original body # M 1111, was purchased by Mr. William....[continue reading]
In December of 1919, Rolls Royce of America purchased a factory in Springfield, Massachusetts. From 1921 to 1926, roughly 1,700 Silver Ghosts chassis were produced at Springfield. The bodies were supplied by notable coachbuilders such as Smith-Spring....[continue reading]
Though the Rolls-Royce name is indelibly linked to England, the firm once manufactured automobiles on U.S. soil, in Springfield, Massachusetts. The reasons for this business venture were numerous: America had become the most important automobile mark....[continue reading]
The Merrimac Body Company of Merrimac, Massachusetts, became part of Rolls-Royce's custom Coachwork Division in 1923. They supplied the Springfield factory with over 420 different bodies, mostly open touring cars, although a few town cars were built,....[continue reading]
Atzbach Collection and 1965 Shelby GT350R Prototype among Historic Offerings
Walworth, Wis. – June 16, 2020 – Its full speed ahead come this July 10-18 as the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis opens for the annual return of Dana...
RM Sothebys reaffirms market leadership with %24117.9 million in sales at its flagship Monterey, California sale, August 19-20
Top-sellers Le Mans-winning Jaguar D-Type and stunning Alfa 2.9 claim top two sales of the 2016 Monterey auction week...
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2015) -- An Italian Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Cabriolet that once turned heads and garnered top prizes in the classic era glided to victory at the 65th Pebble Beach Concours dElegance on Sunday.
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best...
The 1929 Duesenberg Blue J and 11 collector cars from the William A. C. Pettit, III Collection will be sold at Gooding %26 Companys Pebble Beach Auctions
Estate Proceeds will benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children®-Tampa