Along wîth Packard and Peerless, Pierce-Arrow was one of the fabled 'three Ps' of Únited States automotive royalty. The firm started in 1901 as an outgrowth of the George N. Pierce Company, a bicycle manufacturer and earlier a bird cage maker. Pierce made its reputation wîth high quality cars, often custom built for its clients. This car was owned by the same family for 80 years. It was purchased as a 'used car' in 1923 for $800 by the last owner's father. It has a rich history of being driven to Pierce-Arrow meets for over half a century, accumulating over 300,000 miles in the process.Source - AACA Museum
Chassis Num: 67571
Sold for $319,000 at 2010 RM Sothebys
The Pierce-Arrow Model 66 A-4 Seven-Passenger Tourer rested on a 147.5-inch platform and was powered by a six-cylinder engine that displaced 825 cubic-inches. The engine was massive, and believed to have produced over 100 horsepower. It had so much power and torque that it was among the mightiest automobiles of the era.
Pierce-Arrow pioneered thin cast-aluminum panels work in its bodies, making the vehicles much lighter and stronger than the wooden bodies or metal-paneled wooden frameworks used by its competitors.
In 1914, electric starting was added to the Model 66. The following year, a pressurized fuel delivery system, using an engine-operated air pump to pressurize the fuel tank, was added. The final model 66 Series 4 debuted in 1916 and would remain in production through 1918.
The engine in the Model 66 had dual ignition from a coil-and-battery system and a magneto, plus it was built with a number of aluminum parts. The fuel tank could hold 36 gallons of fuel, something that was needed for the vehicle which got 8.5-miles per gallon.
It is believed that around 1,250 Model 66 Pierce-Arrows were built from 1910 through 1918. Around 14 examples are known to exist in modern time, and just seven are of the Model 66 A-4 series.
This example is finished in two tones of blue with a black leather interior and a black Panasote top. It rides on 27-inch Johnson wheels, has a luggage trunk and full side curtains with 'gypsy' windows providing protection to the occupants at the rear-compartment.
In 2010, this car was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey'
presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $400,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $319,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2010
The Pierce-Arrow Model 66 was one of the pinnacles of American design and craftsmanship of the early Twentieth century. Just like all Pierce-Arrows since 1910, they were powered by a six-cylinder engine. Originally they had a bore of 5.25-inches and a stroke of 5.5-inches giving it 714 cubic-inches of displacement. By 1913 it had grown to have a bore of 5-inches and a stroke of 7-inches. The engine displaced 825 cubic-inches and was double the size of many of its competitors. At 1600 RPM's, the engine was capable of producing 60 horsepower. This means the Type 66 was not only an elegant automobile, it was also a very fast machine. It is believed that the Type 66 had the largest displacement engine ever to power a production automobile. It had 44 more cubic-inches than the Bugatti Type 41 Royale. With an engine of this magnitude, it consumed lots of fuel. The miles-per-gallon was around 8.5, meaning the 36 gallon fuel tank was good for nearly 300 miles. This often posed problems for the drivers, as gas stations were not always readily available.
Pierce-Arrow placed this mammoth engine in a chassis that measured 147.5-inches. It was a suitable platform for many coachbuilders to work their trade. Pierce-Arrow was among the first to use cast aluminum panels in their bodywork, reducing the overall weight of the vehicle while maintaining a high degree of structural rigidity and strength.
In 1914 an electric starter was added. A pressurized fuel delivery system using an engine-operated air pump to pressurize the tank appeared in 1915.
In 1916 Pierce-Arrow introduced their final iteration of the Model 66, the Series 4. This would remain in production until 1918.
From 1910 through 1918, there were 1250 examples of the Model 66 produced. It is believed that around fourteen have survived in modern time and only seven are the Model 66 A-4 series.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007