The Bentley named first appeared at the 1919 London Auto Show, a product of W.O. Bentley, a well-known importer of D.F.P. automobiles. Bentley had pioneered the aluminum pistons for automotive and aviation engines, and a designer of the rotary aircraft engine.
The Bentley sport cars were legends in long distance racing and included Indianapolis and Le Mans in their racing history. The enamel colors of the radiator badge indicated the type of chassis, red for short chassis, blue long chassis and green for 100 mph short chassis.
Bentley's financial position was always weak, in the summer of 1931 Rolls Royce obtained the Derby manufacturing location. Rolls Royce produced their version of the Bentley Olympia in 1933. This was entirely different type, based on Derby's contemporary 3.7 litre ohv push rod 20-25. This model had a 4-speed transmission, Rolls Royce servo brakes and sold for $1460 pounds with saloon bodywork. In this form it could reach 90 mph and merited its slogan 'The Silent Sports Car.' Bentley receives Rolls Royce's first factory produced body in 1951 and sold for $4474 pounds in a standard steel saloon.Source - Frick Car Museum