1910 Mitchell Model S
This 1910 Mitchell Model S was produced by the Mitchell Motor Car Company of Racine, Wisconsin. They produced vehicles from 1903 through 1923. Their earliest vehicles were small, single-cylinder machines with steering by a lever instead of a conventional steering wheel. By 1905, the company was building larger, multi-cylinder vehicles. The success of the company during its early years was largely due to its racing endeavors. From 1907 to 1911, Mitchell automobiles were successfully raced in local and national competitions and endurance runs.
By 1910, the Mitchell Company was offering a variety of models. The Model S was the largest and most powerful vehicle offered. Powered by a six-cylinder, 50 horsepower engine, the Model S sold new for $3,500, almost six times the price of a new Model T Ford. Other sources listed the 1910 Mitchell Model S Touring sold for $2,000 F.O. B. Racine, Wisconsin. The sales brochure also listed the price of $2,150 F. O. B. San Francisco, California, and included Rushmore headlights and Prestolite gas tank.
The vehicle rides on a 130-inch wheelbase powered by a 50 horsepower six-cylinder engine with a change-gear, selective, three speeds forward and reverse transmission. This was the largest horsepower engine Mitchell ever produced.
The engine consisted of adjustable headlight brackets, dash and tail oil lamps, horn and a complete set of tools, including jack.
This example was discovered in unrestored condition during the 1950's by Winthrop Rockefeller. It was restored and became part of the famous Rockefeller Collection in Arkansas until the 1970's when it was purchased by the late Bill Harrah and added to his 2,000 vehicle collection in Reno, Nevada. When the Harrah collection was sold during the 1980's, the Mitchell was purchased by Ralph Engelstad and became part of the Imperial Palace Collection in Las Vegas, Nevada before being sold to its current owner.
The Mitchell Motor Car Company of Racine, Wisconsin, built motorcycles in 1902, and then built cars from 1903 to 1923. Its founder, Henry Mitchell, was among the earliest American automakers, having previously built wagons in Chicago for decades. By the 1870s, his company was one of the largest wagon makers in America. By 1910, the Model S had a six-cylinder, 50 horsepower engine with a three-speed gearbox, making it the largest Mitchell car available. Incorporating twin spark plugs per cylinder and a magneto and a distributor, it had an advanced design for its time.
The Mitchell Model S rode on a 130-inch wheelbase and was powered by an F-head six-cylinder engine offering 50 horsepower.
It was built in Racine, Wisconsin and sold for $2,200.
Sold for $242,000 at 2008 Gooding & Company. Touring
Chassis #: S16259
Engine #: 16259
The Mitchell vehicles were built in Racine, Wisconsin from 1903 to 1923. This 1910 Mitchell Model S Touring Car served part of its life as a water wagon by a volunteer fire department in southern Oregon. The body had been removed and a large water tank was welded to the frame. A Pennsylvania collector purchased the car from the fire department, along with the original body for the car. The car was treated to a complete restoration and used for many years before it was sold to a California collector, Gerald Freck, in 1970.
While in Freck's care, the car was given another complete restoration. Carl J. Schmitt purchased the car in 1987. Schmitt re-restored the car from 1990-1991. It has been given an electric self-starter to make it easier to use.
Mounted under the bonnet is a F-head six-cylinder engine that is mated to a three-speed selective-sliding gearbox. There are mechanically activated rear -wheel brakes and a semi-elliptic leaf springs suspension.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
In 2008, this Thomas Flyer was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction held in Pebble Beach, California. The car was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for $242,000, including buyer's premium.
This Mitchell was manufactured by the Mitchell-Lewis Company in Racine, Wisconsin. The company had its origins as one of the largest manufacturers of wagons in the 1800s. In 1903 they produced their first car and the company proceeded to produce an increasing number of models in steadily increasing volumes. By 1910 they were producing three models, the R, T and S, and became Racine's largest manufacturer and employer producing cars until 1923. The cars were of high quality and enjoyed an excellent reputation.
This Model S was the largest and most powerful Mitchell in 1910. It has a 130 inch wheelbase with a 50 horsepower, 6-cylinder, 426 cubic-inch engine, with both magneto and coil ignition with two spark plugs per cylinder. It has a 3-speed transmission, weighed 3,300 pounds and sold for $2,000. President Roosevelt rode in the back of a 1910 Model S identical to this one.
This car is one of only three 1910 Model S Mitchells known to still exist. It received a ground-up authentic restoration under the ownership of John McMullen and in 2007 received a class award at Pebble Beach. The present owner, purchased the car from the McMullen collection in 2010.