1960 Aston Martin DB4

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe

Chassis Num: DB4/342/R
Engine Num: 370/362

When the Aston Martin DB4 was debuted in 1958, it was instantly apparent that the British could rival (or even best) their Italian rivals at creating the ultimate Gran Turismo. The touring-styled car would have a very long production career, lasting....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe

Chassis Num: 1DDB-4/358/l
Engine Num: 370/487

This 1960 Aston Martin DB4 left the Newport Pagnell factory in England in March of 1961. It was delivered into the care of its original owner who was a resident of Germany. It is a rare and original left-hand drive DB4 that returned back to the facto....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/458/L
Engine Num: 370/389

The Aston Martin DB4 was produced between 1958 and 1963 and underwent a variety of subtle changes during that time. This example, chassis number DB4/458/L, is a Series II car, of which only 351 examples were built. ....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/287/L
Engine Num: 370/293

The original owner of this DB4 Series II Coupe was Ernest Swigert of Portland, Oregon. The coachwork is by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan and powered by Tadek Marek's powerful new engine. The car was ordered on August 26th of 1959 through North Country....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/347/L
Engine Num: 370/367
Gearbox Num: S432/3/444

David Brown's first DB2 series of road cars, produced from 1949 through 1958, were largely based upon pre-war technology. The DB4, however, was a totally new and thorough modern motor car. They made their introduction at the 1958 London Motor Show to....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/488/L
Engine Num: 370/491

This Aston Martin DB4 features a modern chassis, four-wheel disc brakes, a dual overhead cam straight six engine, and superleggera coachwork by Touring of Milan. Production of the DB4 spanned from 1958 to 1963 and during that time the model un....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe

Chassis Num: DB4/395/R
Engine Num: 370/390

The Aston Martin DB4, a replacement for the DB Mark III, was launched in 1958 and was the first Aston martin to be built at the company's then-new Newport Pagnell factory. It was given a number of new components and manufacturing processes that would....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Only 45 left-hand drive 1960 Series II DB4s are listed in the Aston Martin Owners Club Registry. The Registry has DB4s in five series to (roughly) define the minute differences in specification.....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/310/L

This Aston Martin DB4 Series II is an original left-hand-drive, Touring-bodied example. The car was ordered on May 24th of 1960, through English car distributor Charles Hornburg of Los Angeles, California. It was ordered in California Sage Green over....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe

First unveiled at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, the Aston Martin DB4 is a very traditional English grand touring car. With ample room and ample power, it is wrapped in a discreet, yet sporting body by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan.....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

Chassis Num: DB4/245/L
Engine Num: 370/243

This Aston Martin DB4 Series 1 is a left-hand drive example that was delivered new via Aston Martin's United States West Coast importer Charles Hornburg. Its first owner was Paul S. Pollack of Los Angeles, California. The factory order recorded that ....[continue reading]

1960 Aston Martin DB4 vehicle information

FastBack Coupe
Coachwork: Touring

The DB4 was introduced in 1958 and was Aston Martin's first completely new and modern motorcar following World War II. The coachwork was styled by Carrozzeria Touring and produced by Aston Martin's panel fabricators in Newport Pagnell. The sleek fast....[continue reading]

FastBack Coupe
Chassis #: DB4/342/R 
FastBack Coupe
Chassis #: 1DDB-4/358/l 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/458/L 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/287/L 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/347/L 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/488/L 
FastBack Coupe
Chassis #: DB4/395/R 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/310/L 
FastBack Coupe
 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
Chassis #: DB4/245/L 
FastBack Coupe by Touring
 

History

The DB name came from the name David Brown (later Sir David Brown), an individual who had purchased the Aston Martin Company.

The DB4 series was built from 1958 through 1963. A total of 1040 vehicles and five series were produced during this time frame. The coachwork was performed by Touring of Milan, Italy. The body panels were hand made of aluminum mounted on a steel tube frame and featuring the Superleggera method of construction. Superleggera means super light.

Initially, the DB4 series used disc brakes made by Dunlop but later switched to the Girling made disc brakes. Each of the five series featured improvements, design modifications, and technological enhancements. All of the DB4s received their power from a Tadek Mereck designed, 3670 cc, six-cylinder, all aluminum engine. The 220-240 horsepower engine could propel the car to a top speed of around 140 mph and the go from zero to sixty in just 8.5 seconds. David Brown, the owner of Aston Martin, produced the overdrive transmission.

The standard DB4 body style was the Saloon version; however, the Vantage series could be ordered and featured higher horsepower ratings.

In 1959, Aston Martin introduced the DB4 GT series. This series featured a shorter wheelbase and higher output than the standard DB4 Saloon. Due to the shorter wheelbase there were no rear seats. The engine had three twin-choke Weber Carburetors and twin distributors increasing the output of the standard engine to 302 bhp. This extra horsepower increased the top speed to around 153 mph and the zero-to-sixty time of around six seconds.

Other distinguishable features of the GT series were the exposed, racing style, fuel filer caps located on the rear wings. Perspex headlamp covers adorned the front of the vehicles.

The GT series was produced from 1959 through 1963. During this time period, 75 models were produced. The Italian coachbuilder Zagato was tasked at producing the bodies of 19 of these vehicles.

In 1960 the Zagato bodied cars were introduced at the London Motor Show. These hand-built vehicles were built to outperform Ferrari's. The short wheelbase, light weight construction, 314 horsepower engine, and a top speed of 160 mph made them very competitive.

The DB4 Drophead Coupe was produced from 1961 through 1963. During this time frame, 70 examples were created. They were convertibles built on the DB4 Saloon body style using the same aluminum, Superleggera body construction. The standard six-cylinder 3670 cc engine was now producing 260 horsepower. Thirty-two of the convertibles received the Vantage specifications which increased the output of the engine. The overdrive transmission was also available as an option.

In the 1960's, the DB4 Drophead Coupe was used in the movie 'The Italian Job.'

During the 1980's, an Aston Martin specialist named Richard Williams produced the remaining DB4's using the assistance of the Aston Martin factory and unused chassis.


By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
Aston Martin unveiled their DB4 at the 1958 Paris Salon. This was a big achievement for the small British manufacturer as it was a totally new car on a completely new steel platform chassis and disc brakes on all four corners. It was powered by an alloy twin-cam 3.7-liter straight six engine and bodied by Touring of Milan in an elegant fastback aluminum body. This combination was performance oriented with all the necessary criteria such as potent engine, lightweight body, excellent stopping power provided by the disc brakes, and finished in an attractive and elegant fastback configuration. It was state-of-the-art at the time, a modern masterpiece of British engineering and Italian styling.

Harold Beech was involved with the engineering of the chassis, including the fitting of an independent front suspension and a live rear axle located by trailing arms and a Watt's linkage. The coachwork was constructed by Aston Martin under license from Touring

At the September 1959 London Motor Show, Aston Martin introduced their competition variant dubbed the DB4 GT. It was based on the race-winning prototype SP199/1. In the very capable hands of Sterling Moss, the GT prototype had won its first outing in May 1959 at Silverstone.

The Aston Martin DB4 GT sat on a shortened wheelbase, made lighter, and given a more powerful engine. The engine was given a higher compression ratio, twin plug cylinder heads, and triple dual-throat Weber 45 DCOE carburetors. Weight was reduced by 91 kg overall, partly by reducing the wheelbase by around 5 inches. The Standard DB4 produced 240 horsepower while the DB4GT produced 302 BHP making it the most powerful British car of its era. Top speed was achieved at just over 150 mph and zero-to-sixty took a mere 6.1 seconds.

The DB4 and DB4GT were visually distinguishable by the faired in headlamps, a feature that was later made standard on the DB5. The DB4 GT had a quick-release 'Monza' fuel fillers on each of the rear wings, bumper overrider deletes, and frameless roll-down windows within the doors. The interior of the DB4 GT was rather luxurious with Connolly hides and Wilton wool carpeting. An oil temperature gauge was added to the array of instrumentation, along with an 8000 RPM tachometer.

The Ferrari SWB 250 Berlinetta was a very dominate and competitive car in FIA racing, but the DB4 GTs were able to mount a strong challenge in 1959 by both the Works team and Jon Ogier's Essex Racing stable. Individuals usually found behind the wheel included Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Roy Salvadori and Innes Ireland.

Production of the Aston Martin DB4 GT lasted from 1959 through 1963 with a total of 75 examples produced, plus an additional 19 created by Zagato in various configuration. 45 of the 75 were right hand drive with the other 30 having left hand drive. Six of the 75 are known to have full Factory lightweight construction details. These six are further divided into two additional categories. The first group consisting of four examples were originally ordered as 'Build Sheet GTs' meaning they were ordered with this lightweight specification. Two were Right Hand Drive and the other two were Left Hand Drive. The other lightweight group is referred to as 'BESPOKE' or Service Department created GTs. Meaning they were modified to the lightweight specification after the factory had performed the original build.

Thus, most of the DB4 GTs created were suitable for competition or Grand Touring, for road or track.


By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The Aston Martin DB4 was first introduced to the public at the 1958 Paris Salon and powered by a 3.7-liter straight eight and clothed in an aluminum body. Touring of Milan was tasked with creating the design. The Aston Martin DB4 GT was introduced a year later at the London Motor Show and was based on the race winning prototype SP199/1. 1959 was a great year for Aston martin as they had won the World Sportscar Championship title. The GT prototype inaugural race was in May of 1959 at Silverstone where it finished in first place at the hands of Stirling Moss.

The Aston Martin DB4 GT was lighter, shorter, and more powerful than the base DB4. In an effort to reduce the weight of the vehicle the bodywork was made thinner using 18 gauge alloy. The wheelbase was reduced by 13cm which made the rear seats obsolete. In total, 200 pounds had been shed. Under the graceful hood was the six-cylinder engine modified with twin plug cylinder heads and triple dual-throat Weber 45 DCOE carburetors. Horsepower was raised to over 300, bettering the standard DB4 engine by 60 horsepower, and making it the most powerful British sports car of its era.

Most of the DB4 GT's had Plexiglas rear screen and quarter windows. Disc brakes could be found on all four corners, as could the alloy Boranni wire wheels. The roll-down windows were frameless within the doors. A high-capacity fuel tank could be found in the rear. Quick-release 'Monza' fuel fillers were placed atop of the rear wings. All of this equated to a car that had a top speed over 150 mph and could race from zero-to-sixty in just over 6 seconds. Visually, in comparison to the DB4, the GT has cowled headlights and a very prominent hood scoop.

The interior of the cars were race inspired but still filled with luxurious amenities.

The DB4 GT was produced from 1959 through 1963 with only 75 examples being produced plus another 19 examples bodied by Zagato. 45 were right-hand drive and 30 were left hand drive. The Zagato bodied cars were necessary to keep pace with Ferrari's 250 GT machines. Zagato was legendary in the world or automotive weight reduction and their skills were in high demand. Ercole Spada of Zagato was given the task of performing the necessary modifications. Even after Zagato worked his magic, the Ferrari's proved to competitive for the DB4 GT's. Though the DB4 GT's suffered from oversteer and and low rigidity, its Achilles' heal was the fact that it was born from a road going car.

The final DB4 GT constructed was sent to Bertone who fitted it with a body and had it sent to the 1961 Geneva and Turin Motorshows. It was styled by Giorgietto Giugiaro who was in the infancy of his career. This, the 76th and final DB4 GT produced, was given an attractive steel body.


By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007

Recent Vehicle Additions

Bonhams Steps Up To The Crease For 20Th Aston Martin Sale

Bonhams Steps Up To The Crease For 20Th Aston Martin Sale

The 20th edition of the Bonhams Aston Martin Sale, the leading European auction dedicated to the Aston Martin and Lagonda marques, will be staged for the first time at the renowned Wormsley Estate in...
THE McLAREN F1

THE McLAREN F1

FOR THE DRIVER VITALLY – AS IN ONE OF McLARENS WORLD CHAMPION RACING CARS – DRIVER AND VEHICLE BECOME ENTIRELY AS ONE The primary design consideration for the McLaren F1 has been to make it without...
120 years of motor sport at Mercedes-Benz take centre stage at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2014

120 years of motor sport at Mercedes-Benz take centre stage at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2014

Addicted to Winning at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed, Mercedes-Benz looks back on some fascinating racing victories of the last 120 years The unique motor sport heritage of the Mercedes-...
STRIVING FOR VICTORY AND PERFECTION: BMW GROUP CLASSIC AT TECHNO CLASSICA 2014

STRIVING FOR VICTORY AND PERFECTION: BMW GROUP CLASSIC AT TECHNO CLASSICA 2014

Munich Essen. Techno Classica takes its place as the worlds largest and most important gathering on the vintage, classic and recent classic calendar once again this year, with more than 1,250...
Russo and Steele Collector Car Auctions Kicks off 2014 in a Big Way with Outstanding Results and New World Records at Scottsdale

Russo and Steele Collector Car Auctions Kicks off 2014 in a Big Way with Outstanding Results and New World Records at Scottsdale

Phoenix, Arizona (January 22, 2014) – At Russo and Steele Collector Car Auctions, we are thrilled to announce the achievement of outstanding results and world-record sales at our January 15-19...
© 1998-2019. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

data-full-width-responsive="true">


Vehicle information, history, and specifications from concept to production.

Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Conceptcarz Google+ Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed

Conceptcarz.com
© 1998-2019 Conceptcarz.com Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.