Formula 1

Arrow Image Teams Constructors Arrow Image Teams

United Kingdom Ridgeway Managements   |  Stats  |  1957 F1 Articles

Ridgeway Management: 1957 Formula One Season   By Jeremy McMullen

Page 1

The 1957 season would see the beginnings of Formula 2's influence in the World Championship once again. Back in 1952 and 1953 the World Championship would be conducted to Formula 2 regulations. In the 1960s, the engine size would be so limited the cars would be practically Formula 2 entries. Even by the mid-to-late 1950s, the costs of racing in Formula 2 were still much less than Formula One, and then there was the innovation.

Formula 2 would see the greatest number of models using mid-engine layouts. The Formula One cars were still using front-engine cars, but the costs were such the privateer entry was quickly being pushed out of the series. In 1957, however, there would be more than a couple of races where Formula One and Formula 2 cars were run concurrently. This meant a number of privateers and small teams would make brief appearances on the Formula One stage, but they would not be eligible for World Championship points.

Nonetheless, the openings would allow many individuals and small teams that would never really be heard from again in Formula One to make another appearance in the World Championship and Ridgeway Management would be one such team.

Lotus and Cooper would be the two main thrusts behind the enthralling Formula 2 competition. Lotus had their Lotus 12 while Cooper had their T41 and T43. Many of these cars would be owned by individual racers and would compete under the owner's name, or, under team names at certain moments.

Cooper and Lotus would be building cars for customers as well as their own factory efforts. Therefore, it was not uncommon for cars to change hands between drivers, often many times throughout a season. One such example would be the Climax-powered Cooper T41, chassis number F2-2-56. This chassis would actually be entered in the non-championship Formula One race, the Gran Premio di Siracusa, and would be driven by Bill Whitehouse.

Going up against the likes of the new Lancia-Ferrari, the Vanwalls and the venerable Maserati 250Fs, the Cooper-Climax would have little chance of success. In fact, Whitehouse would fail to even finish the 80 lap race having suffered an engine failure after 38 laps.

Tony Marsh had begun a career in hill climbing driving a Cooper-JAP that had previously been driven by Peter Collins. Marsh would take advantage of the situation by winning no less than three consecutive championships.

Marsh wouldn't just focus on hill climbing events. He would also look to Formula 2 and would order one of the new T43s from Cooper at the start of the '57 season. Putting in his order for the T43, Marsh would have an entry in the Easter Monday Races held at Goodwood. The intention was to compete in the Lavant Cup, which was a Formula 2 race. Unfortunately, the T43 would not be ready in time for the race.

However, by May, Marsh would have his T43 and would put the car to good use winning the 1st Maidstone and Mid-Kent M.C. Formula 2 race. This would be followed by a 2nd place in the 3rd BRSCC Formula 2 race held at Brands Hatch on the 19th of May. Bill Whitehouse would take part in the same event.

Broken down into two heat races, Whitehouse would finish the first heat in 2nd place ahead of Marsh. However, in the second heat, transmission trouble would leave Whitehouse out of the race while Marsh went on to finish in 3rd place.

Success would continue to come Marsh's way when he scored a 3rd place result at the 2nd Prix de Paris held at Montlhery on the 16th of June. At the same time, the T41 raced by Whitehouse would change hands and would end up with Paul England. The two of these men would end up completing the 5th BRSCC Formula 2 race held at Mallory Park Circuit in the top ten. Marsh would take the victory after also posting the fastest lap of the race. Paul England would use the older T41 to finish the race two laps behind Marsh in the 8th position.

Both men would again take part in the same race on the 14th of July. On the same weekend as the non-championship Grand Prix de Reims, the 5.15 mile circuit would also play host to the 1st Coupe Internationale de Vitesse. The field would consist of a number of Lotus 12s and a large number of Cooper-Climaxes. However, Scuderia Ferrari would also enter their new Dino 156 and with the grand prix winner Maurice Trintignant at the wheel.

Trintignant would be in a class unto himself as he dominated the 37 lap race winning by a whole lap over Jean Lucas in a Cooper T43. Marsh would complete the race in 3rd place in his own T43. Paul England would also take part in the race with his T41. Although he would finish the race more than three laps behind, he would still come through to finish in the 8th position. To finish 8th would actually be no small blessing given the fact there would be two fatal accidents during the race that would take the lives of two drivers. One of those that would perish over the course of the weekend would be Bill Whitehouse, the man that had formerly driven F2-2-56.

Following the Formula 2 race held at Reims over the weekend of the 14th of July there would be a couple of weeks in between events. This would be an important break as the privateer teams and individual entries would need time to prepare for one of the most important races of the season.

The calendar turned to August. This meant the season was absolutely in its last half. It also meant a race of important significance for the Formula 2 teams and privateers. On the 4th of August would be held the German Grand Prix, the 6th round of the 1957 World Championship. However, what made the race so special would be the fact the race in '57 would feature Formula 2 cars running at the same time as the Formula One stars. This meant the usually lesser-known drivers, like Tony Marsh and Paul England, would have the opportunity to go wheel-to-wheel, sort-of, with the likes of Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss and Jean Behra.

The weather conditions heading into the weekend would be absolutely ideal. The Formula 2 cars would have the opportunity to show what they were made of compared to the likes of the factory Formula One cars. Being that the weather would be sunny and warm, and that the circuit has just been resurfaced, meant the Formula One cars would certainly be faster around the circuit. Still, the Formula 2 cars could take part in an epic battle of their own around the infamous circuit.

Page 2

Practice would see Fangio's mastery come to the forefront. Having broken the lap record the year before, he would find it much easier to break his own record a year later with the track resurfaced. Fangio would set the lap record in 1956 with a lap time of 9:41.6. This would be an incredible time given the fact he had taken the pole for the race with a best lap of 9:51.2. However, one year later, Fangio would demolish his lap record posting a lap time of 9:25.6, a difference of some 16 seconds!

The 14 mile long Nurburgring, in spite of its more than 170 corners, would absolutely favor horsepower and handling. The Formula 2 cars would have the better handling; however, the thousand feet of elevation change and the long straight leading back to the start/finish line certainly didn't promote great battles between Formula One and Formula 2 cars. However, there would be enough tricky bends and corners around the circuit to help keep things relatively close.

Tony Marsh and Paul England would join forces for the arduous 22 lap German Grand Prix. The two men would form a single team to help support each other. The team would be called Ridgeway Management and would consist of the T43 that would be driven by Marsh and a T41 that would be driven by England.

In spite of Marsh's success, the Nurburgring was still a foreign entity to the British driver and this would be obvious during practice when he managed to post a fastest lap time of 10:48.2. This time would result in the Englishman starting from the seventh, and last, row of the grid. Starting 22nd overall, Marsh would be placed 7th amongst the Formula 2 entries. Starting beside Marsh would be England. However, the time difference would be very telling. England's lack of experience would hinder him as he would end up 20 seconds slower than just Marsh. He would start 23rd and 8th amongst the Formula 2 cars.

Bright sunshine greeted the teams and the spectators as the start of the race drew ever-closer. Ahead of the field waited 22 laps of the epic Nurburgring. But, while the race itself posed a great challenge, just a single lap of the circuit would be enough to scare even the most veteran driver. Situated in the Eifel Mountains in the western part of Germany, the Nurburging acts as a protective barrier standing guard of Nurburg Castle sitting high atop the hilltop over looking the village bearing its name. Leaving the stadium section of the circuit, the track rises and falls, twists back and forth. Full of blind corners, apexes and places where cars often go light or catch air, the car and the driver faces great punishment over the course of a single lap and provides little to no room for error.

With an incredible crowd on hand, the cars would be lined up on the grid. The seven rows would begin to form up with Fangio at the head of it all. A fifth championship was in the offering that day; if he could come through and secure victory. Starting all the way at the back and belonging in a totally different category.

The cars would come to life, as would the crowd. Then the flag would drop and the race would get underway with the Ferraris of Hawthorn and Collins streaking into the lead. Fangio would be right there following along as the cars powered their way toward the first turn. At the back, Marsh and England would actually be jockeying amongst themselves for position through the Sudkurve. The 311 mile race was just starting.

Throughout the course of the first lap it would be the Ferraris and Hawthorn and Collins holding onto the first two positions in the running order. Meanwhile, Marsh and England would be holding station at the back of the field. It was a long race and just making it through the first lap of the race would be no easy task.

At the end of the first lap it would remain Hawthorn ahead of Collins followed by Fangio. The Argentinean would be behind the two Ferraris by more than a couple of seconds. Still, he would be in a strong position to carry out an attack. Further back, it would be Marsh ahead of England. The two would come across the line to complete the first lap. Marsh would be in 21st place while England would be a little bit behind in 22nd.

Marsh and England would continue to hold station at the back of the field over the next couple of laps while Fangio attacked and finally passed Collins and Hawthorn for the lead on the 3rd lap of the race. It was important Fangio would get to the lead and pull away as it would become obvious he had started the race on only half-full tanks and would need to stop halfway through the race. There would be no stopping for Marsh or England, unless their race came to an end.

The speeds and the circuit would begin to exact a toll on the field. Horace Gould had been the first to suffer as his race would come to an end on the very first lap of the race. He would be one of a few Formula One entries that would fail to finish the race.

By far, the biggest sufferers over the course of the race would be the Formula 2 cars. Following Gould, the next three cars to fall out of the race would all be Formula 2 entries. Unfortunately for Ridgeway Management, one of those would be England. Ignition troubles after 4 laps of racing would cause England's first World Championship grand prix to come to an end. Tony Marsh, on the other hand, remained in the race but would be dead-last following the retirements of England and Dick Gibson.

It would be a tough day for all of the Formula 2 cars. They were certainly slower than the Formula One cars, even over a single lap. But in the race, the constant pressure of the pace and the extremely beautiful conditions meant the drivers pushed the Formula 2 cars harder than they were likely capable. Add to this the nature of the circuit and it would be little wonder why just four Formula 2 cars would actually finish the 22 lap race.

The Formula 2 battle would take a far backseat to what was happening at the front of the field. While Marsh carried on around 20th, Fangio would be in the lead and steadily pulling away from Hawthorn and Collins. The two British drivers realized they needed to stay close to Fangio if they were going to have any chance of retaking the lead and achieving victory.

Halfway through the race, Fangio's lead would be 30 seconds over Collins, who had take over the position from Hawthorn. At the back, Marsh would still be in the running, one of the very few Formula 2 cars remaining, and would be around 19th in the order when Fangio came into the pits for his one and only stop.

In reality, Fangio would have an advantage over the last half of the race. He would have the opportunity to have new tires fitted to the car and he would have a little bit of a break. Hawthorn and Collins would battle all the way to the finish. Their tires would be worn and they would be tired. So Fangio had an advantage, but all of that would seemingly go right out the window during the pitstop.

Page 3

While he would have fresh tires, Fangio wouldn't be going anywhere if his mechanics couldn't locate the knock-off hub to hold one of them on. It had come off and rolled away during the stop. It would take a while for it to be found and fitted. Fangio had come into the pits with 30 seconds in hand. He would finally rejoin the race with a deficit of 45 seconds. Suddenly, the great tactical move looked as if it was going to backfire. He would set off after Collins and Hawthorn and would put together one of the most impressive performances of his stellar career.

While Fangio re-entered the race and began to click off record laps in an effort to draw in Collins and Hawthorn, Marsh would also be climbing the running order as a result of the misfortunes of others. Aided by the retirements of Jack Brabham, Stuart Lewis-Evans, Roy Salvadori and Chico Godia-Sales, Marsh would find himself up to 17th just past the halfway mark of the race. He wasn't burning up the circuit by any means but it was clear he was determined to outlast it.

Hawthorn would retake the lead from Collins in a desperate attempt to outlast the onslaught Fangio was bringing forth in an attempt to regain what he had lost. It seemed, at least initially, the 45 second difference would be too great for even Fangio to overcome. However, as the laps ticked away and the Argentinean continually reset the lap record and took seconds off of the lead of the two Ferrari drivers, it would become increasingly impossible for Hawthorn and Collins to stop the coming tide. The only hope the two would be the number of laps remaining. Time was running out, but would it run out soon enough?

Constantly breaking the lap record each and every lap, it would become clear there was plenty of time remaining. Flying up the long straight leading to the start/finish line, Fangio would be right behind Collins and Hawthorn. Biding his time, Fangio's record lap would put him in a position of luxury. There was plenty of time remaining. He could pick his point and make the pass whenever he wanted.

This record pace would be something Marsh would get to witness first-hand more than a few times over the course of the race. Already driving a Formula 2 car, Marsh would be much slower than Fangio. However, when Fangio put together his incredible run in the second half of the race, Tony would have the opportunity to witness Fangio's greatness a couple of times before the end of the race. Though his view of the Argentinean would disappear rapidly, his presence in the race meant he would be one of the very few Formula 2 entries that would have the opportunity to witness the incredible action from the track.

At the beginning of the 21st lap Fangio would make his move. Collins would be the first to fall. Then there would be Hawthorn. Collins would be beat and would immediately back off the pace afterward. He would realize his race had come to an end. Under no pressure from behind he would back off and look toward the finish. Hawthorn, on the other hand, would not give up so easy. Though he would lose out to Fangio, he would not give up so easily.

Marsh would be impressive over the course of the race. He didn't have the pace of his fellow Formula 2 cars but he would recognize the need to take care of his car compared to beating it each and every lap praying it would hold together to the very end. Heading into the final moments of the race he would be running dead-last and in danger of ending up not classified in the results. However, he would be 4th amongst the Formula 2 cars and void of any troubles.

Waved home by the appreciative crowd, Fangio's finest performance would be his very last victory in Formula One. Streaking across the line after completing the race distance at an average speed of nearly 89mph, Fangio would stun everyone with his performance, especially over the last half of the race. Taking the victory by three seconds over Hawthorn, the performance would certainly go down in the history books as one of the most impressive performances in a Formula One race. Peter Collins would take it easy over the last couple of laps and would end up coming away with a 3rd place finish.

One of the most impressive performances in Formula One history, Fangio's victory would certainly be a memorable occasion, especially since it earned him a then record 5th World Championship title. A minor footnote to the very special race would be Tony Marsh's performance. Able to finish in 15th place more than 5 laps down to Fangio, Tony would end up not classified at the end of the race. However, he would still manage to come away with a 4th place result in Formula 2. Therefore, his good performances in the lower formula continued. The only unfortunate aspect would be that he would end up more than four laps behind Edgar Barth in the Formula 2 leading Porsche 550RS.

Though finishing well down in the order, Marsh's achievement at the Nurburgring was certainly not to be overlooked. He had managed to finish when many others failed to do so. And, given his inexperience at the circuit and in Formula 2, it would be a very impressive performance nonetheless. Unfortunately for England, the day would not be as kind.

There would be a couple of other Formula 2 races following the German Grand Prix. However, the next big event on the calendar would arrive in the middle of September and it would perhaps be the biggest event in all of England for Formula 2. The race would be the 9th BRDC Daily Express International Trophy race and it would be held, as usual, at Silverstone.

The International Trophy race would be out of place taking place on the 14th of September. The change in date; however, would be necessitated by global events, particularly the Suez Crisis that arose toward the end of the '56 season.

The Suez Crisis would be dealt with toward the end of the '56 season. However, the lingering effects would spill over into the early parts of the '57 season. Unfortunately, because of England's involvement in the situation, oil shipments to the U.K. would suffer. Therefore, as a result, the International Trophy race would have its date changed. Instead of its usual date in May the race would be pushed back to the middle of September when the World Championship came to an end.

The '57 International Trophy race would be new, and yet, old at the same time. Not since the 1954 season had Formula 2 cars featured so prominently in the race, and that would happen as a result of the new Formula One regulations coming into effect. However, in 1957, Formula 2 cars would feature very prominently in the race as they would be, by far, the most dominant presence in the field. The old element to the race would be its format. It had been since '54 that a two heat system had been used. However, in 1957 the two heat races and a final format would return. As with before, the two heat races would consist of 15 laps of the 2.9 mile circuit. The final would then be 35 laps.

The Silverstone circuit didn't necessarily suit a battle between Formula 2 and Formula One cars, but that is exactly what would happen. Though they would take part in the event at the same time, each would be fighting a top results in their own category.

Page 4

Measuring 2.9 miles and boasting of an average speed of greater than 100mph for a Formula One car, the circuit would test the Formula 2 cars severely over the course of the event. Therefore, the driver's approach to the race would be vitally important.

Ridgeway Management would enter two cars in the race just as they had the month before at the Nurburgring. Marsh would be at the wheel of the T43 while England was to be at the wheel of the T41. Unfortunately, England would not make it to the race, so Marsh would be left all to himself to take on an overwhelming field of Formula 2 entries.

Marsh would find himself in an overwhelming field of Formula One talent as well. Owen Racing would enter three cars in the race and they would be driven by Jean Behra, Harry Schell and Ron Flockhart. Behra and Flockhart would be listed in the first heat, the very same as Marsh. On top of Behra and Flockhart, Marsh would also find himself going against Tony Brooks in a Cooper-Climax, Masten Gregory in a Maserati 250F and Roy Salvadori in another T43.

Marsh had to be concerned following practice for the first heat when Tony Brooks took the pole for the first heat race with a lap time of 1:43.0. This would be more than a second and a half faster than Behra in the BRM. Of course, in fairness, Behra was still suggesting changes to the BRM 25 just to get it comfortable to drive. Flockhart would show his qualities earning the 3rd place starting spot on the front row. Masten Gregory would then complete the front row in a privately-entered 250F.

The next-fastest of the Formula 2 entries would be Roy Salvadori. He would end up on the second row of the grid with a lap time of 1:48.0. Marsh's fastest lap time would end up being just three seconds slower than Salvadori. This splendid performance would put Marsh on the third row of the grid in the 8th starting spot beside Ian Burgess, Bob Gerard and Innes Ireland.

The expected duel between Brooks in a Formula 2 Cooper and Behra in a Formula One BRM 25 would be intriguing and would garner a lot of excitement leading up to the 15 lap heat race. Unfortunately, as soon as the race started the expected duel would come to an end when Brooks' Cooper decided to shoot itself in the foot by losing its wheel before completing even a single lap of the race. This gave Behra clear sailing and he absolutely grabbed onto the clear air ahead of him and sailed away into the distance.

The BRM 25 in the hands of Behra would look like a totally different car from what people had witnessed over the course of the season. Over the course of the 15 lap race, Behra would steadily pull away at the head of the field leaving even Flockhart well behind in 2nd place. Gregory would do his best to challenge with Flockhart for his position but would have absolutely no chance of reeling in Behra over the length of the heat race.

Starting from 8th on the grid, Marsh would make a good start and would remain right there throughout the early part of the race. Over the 15 laps, Marsh would not be able to battle with the outright pace of Gould's Maserati and would have to give way. However, he would be able to hold off such talented drivers as Gerard and Salvadori.

Behra's pace would be incredible. Going faster and faster, he would blow away his own best effort in practice and would enjoy an incredible margin over his teammate and the rest of the field, after just 15 laps of the Silverstone circuit.

Heading into the final couple of laps of the race, Marsh would be fighting hard to maintain being on the lead lap. Unfortunately, Behra would be gaining ground quickly. Only one lap remaining in the race, Marsh would lose out on his battle to hold Behra off. Still, amongst the Formula 2 entries, he would be battling it out for the outright win in the heat.

Behra would cruise to the victory completing the heat race in just 25 minutes and 59 seconds. Flockhart would end up holding onto 2nd place beating Gregory by a margin of just 8 seconds. However, there would be nearly 45 seconds difference between Behra and Flockhart by the end.

A little more than a lap would be the difference to Marsh finishing in the 7th position. However, Tony would hold on to complete the heat race in the 2nd place in the fight amongst the Formula 2 entries.

The second heat would feature an even greater ratio of Formula 2 to Formula One cars. The greatest threat to win in the second heat would be Harry Schell driving the BRM 25. His greatest challenge would seemingly come from the Maserati 250Fs entered for Jo Bonnier and Ivor Bueb.

Not surprising, Schell would take the pole for the second heat race. Keith Hall, driving a Lotus-Climax, would end up in the 2nd position. The remainder of the front row would include Bueb in 3rd place while George Wicken would complete the row in 4th.

While much attention would be given to Bueb and Bonnier, both at the wheel of Formula One cars, Jack Brabham would prove everyone needed to pay attention to him in one of the evolved Cooper-Climax T43s. Starting from the very last row of the grid, Brabham would make an incredible start and would end up all the way up to 2nd place behind Schell. In fact, Brabham would challenge Schell over the course of the heat race and would keep him close throughout.

Actually, in many respects it would be Schell that would allow Brabham to remain close to him over the course of the heat race. Not facing any kind of threat from either Bonnier or Bueb, Schell would control the pace knowing he would likely start from the front row of the grid in the final. Then, in the final, he would push hard in an effort to take the overall victory.

Page 5

Sure enough, Schell would cruise to the victory defeating Brabham by seven seconds. Bonnier would be just three seconds behind Brabham finishing in the 3rd place position in a rather lack-luster performance in the more powerful Maserati.

The final grid could be formed following the conclusion of the two heat races. Determined by finishing time in the respective heats, the final grid would include Behra starting from on pole and Ron Flockhart heading off from 2nd place. Masten Gregory's solid performance in the first heat race would land him in the 3rd place position on the front row while Schell would end up in the final position on the front row.

Amongst the Formula 2 starters in the 35 lap final, Marsh would be in a strong position. In fact, Tony would be the 2nd place starter amongst the Formula 2 field. He would end up on the third row of the grid in the 11th place starting position overall, a very strong position heading into the final.

Heading into the final it was clear that unless the BRMs suddenly fell apart, which was historically possible, Marsh and the other Formula 2 cars would have little reason to think about an overall victory. However, the fight for Formula 2 honors would certainly be tight as each heat race had proven to be difficult to complete and the racing close.

Tony Brooks looked as though he could have threatened the Formula One cars in the heat race but would fall apart on the very first lap of his heat race. In the final, it would be much of the same as he would, again, be the first one to falter in the final suffering an engine problem that would take him out of the running. More and more of the Formula 2 cars would follow. Two Formula 2 cars would retire after just 3 laps and another would retire as a result of a half-shaft failure. There would be four cars out of the race and they would all be Formula 2 entries.

Up at the front, it would be more déjà vu as Behra would be out front with Schell would do his best to give chase. It was obvious Schell picked it up from the pace he had been running in the second heat race. However, Behra would remain consistently quick each and every time around and would keep Harry well at bay. Still, Owen Racing would have very little to complain about as its three drivers would be leading the way.

Further down in the field, Marsh would be looking quite impressive in the Cooper-Climax. Having started 11th, Marsh would take advantage of Brabham and Innes Ireland retiring from the race and would be fighting to get inside the top ten overall. He would be in position for a podium result in Formula 2 as long as he kept it on the circuit and out of trouble. Fighting with George Wicken and Noel Cunningham-Reid, Tony would be in strong position but would have very little in hand to do battle with Roy Salvadori in the Cooper factory entry.

The pace would be telling, and disastrous. Heading into the final five laps of the race all but one of the eight retirees would be Formula 2 cars. Therefore, there was no guarantee a race finish was in hand until the car crossed the finish line.

Victory would certainly look to be in hand for Behra even before he entered the final lap of the race. Enjoying a lead of a minute and a half, Behra could practically coast around the track the final time and eek out a win. The real battle would be for 3rd place between Flockhart and Jo Bonnier. Owen Racing had a sweep of the podium as a very real possibility. However, Bonnier would be all over Flockhart with just about a second being the gap between the two. The result was still very much in doubt.

Behra, anchored by the fastest lap of the final, would power his way to an easy victory defeating his teammate Schell. Coming around Woodcote for the final time Flockhart would delight everyone at Owen Racing as he would hold on by a mere second to give the team a sweep of the podium.

Amongst the Formula 2 ranks, the champion would be Roy Salvadori as he managed to fall just a lap behind Behra over the course of the 35 lap race. As a result of having a lap in hand over the rest of his Formula 2 challengers, Salvadori would coast to an easy victory finishing 8th overall.

For Marsh, the struggle would be to finish on the podium. He had been in position heading into the final few laps of the race but anything could happen at the very end. However, Marsh would use his experience and would guide his car to the finish. Making it to the finish wouldn't be the problem, nor would ending up on the podium. Driving a solid race throughout, Marsh would end up a lap down to Salvadori in 3rd place in the Formula 2 class. The 11th place overall result would be quite impressive given his relative lack of experience in Formula 2 and single-seater racing. Marsh would provide Ridgeway Management one more highlight for the season.

After the podium finish in Silverstone, Marsh would take part in a couple more Formula 2 events. One of those would take place at Goodwood. Tony would struggle in the event slightly but would still come away with a solid top ten performance. Then, at the 4th International Gold Cup held at Oulton Park, Marsh would start the race from the pole. But even though he would start the race from the pole he would have a hard fought contest ahead of him with Jack Brabham, Tony Brooks and Stuart Lewis-Evans in the field. Oh, and then there would be a certain Team Lotus driver by the name of Graham Hill.

Hill would go on to set the fastest lap of the race but he would prove not to be the biggest challenge to Marsh. That title would go to Cliff Allison and Jack Brabham. Brabham would be the class of the field and would power his way to victory defeating Allison by a margin of nearly 40 seconds. Marsh would go from starting on the pole to finishing valiantly in 3rd place.

Although the victory would slip through his fingers, Marsh would still manage to bring his season to a bright end. This would be just part of a racing career that would result in his being called the 'King of the Hills'.


Sport Obituaries: Tony Marsh', ( The Telegraph. Retrieved 4 September 2013.

'Germany 1957', ( Stats F1. Retrieved 4 September 2013.

'1957 World Drivers Championship', ( 1957 World Drivers Championship. Retrieved 4 September 2013.

'1957 Non-World Championship Grands Prix', ( 1957 Non-World Championship Grands Prix. Retrieved 4 September 2013.

'Race Index: Formula 2 1957', ( F2 Register. Retrieved 4 September 2013.

1957 German GP. Video. (1957). Retrieved 4 September 2013 from

'Grand Prix Results: German GP, 1957', ( Retrieved 4 September 2013.

Williamson, Martin. ''Inredible' Fangio Takes Title with His Greatest Drive', ( ESPN F1 . Retrieved 4 September 2013.

Wikipedia contributors, 'Tony Marsh (racing driver)', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 20 July 2013, 00:43 UTC, accessed 5 September 2013

Wikipedia contributors, 'Paul England', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 4 August 2013, 20:32 UTC, accessed 5 September 2013
United Kingdom Drivers  F1 Drivers From United Kingdom 
George Edgar Abecassis
Henry Clifford Allison
Robert 'Bob' Anderson
Peter Arundell
Peter Hawthorn Ashdown
Ian Hugh Gordon Ashley
Gerald Ashmore
William 'Bill' Aston
Richard James David 'Dickie' Attwood
Julian Bailey
John Barber
Donald Beauman
Derek Reginald Bell
Mike Beuttler
Mark Blundell
Eric Brandon
Thomas 'Tommy' Bridger
Thomas 'Tommy' Bridger
David Bridges
Anthony William Brise
Chris Bristow
Charles Anthony Standish 'Tony' Brooks
Alan Everest Brown
William Archibald Scott Brown
Martin John Brundle
Ivor Léon John Bueb
Ian Burgess
Jenson Alexander Lyons Button
Michael John Campbell-Jones
Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman
Max Chilton
James 'Jim' Clark, Jr.
Peter John Collins
David Marshall Coulthard
Piers Raymond Courage
Christopher Craft
Jim Crawford
John Colum 'Johnny Dumfries' Crichton-Stuart
Tony Crook
Geoffrey Crossley
Anthony Denis Davidson
Colin Charles Houghton Davis
Tony Dean
Paul di Resta
Hugh Peter Martin Donnelly
Kenneth Henry Downing
Bernard Charles 'Bernie' Ecclestone
Guy Richard Goronwy Edwards
Victor Henry 'Vic' Elford
Paul Emery
Robert 'Bob' Evans
Jack Fairman
Alfred Lazarus 'Les Leston' Fingleston
John Fisher
Ron Flockhart
Philip Fotheringham-Parker
Joe Fry
Divina Mary Galica
Frederick Roberts 'Bob' Gerard
Peter Kenneth Gethin
Richard Gibson
Horace Gould
Keith Greene
Brian Gubby
Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood
Bruce Halford
Duncan Hamilton
Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton
David Hampshire
Thomas Cuthbert 'Cuth' Harrison
Brian Hart
Mike Hawthorn
Brian Henton
John Paul 'Johnny' Herbert
Damon Graham Devereux Hill
Norman Graham Hill
David Wishart Hobbs
James Simon Wallis Hunt
Robert McGregor Innes Ireland
Edmund 'Eddie' Irvine, Jr.
Chris Irwin
John James
Leslie Johnson
Thomas Kenrick Kavanagh 'Ken' Kavanagh
Rupert Keegan
Christopher J. Lawrence
Geoffrey Lees
Jackie Lewis
Stuart Nigel Lewis-Evans
Michael George Hartwell MacDowel
Lance Noel Macklin
Damien Magee
Nigel Ernest James Mansell
Leslie Marr
Anthony Ernest 'Tony' Marsh
Steve Matchett
Raymond Mays
Kenneth McAlpine
Perry McCarthy
Allan McNish
John Miles
Robin 'Monty' Montgomerie-Charrington
Dave Morgan
Bill Moss
Sir Stirling Moss
David Murray
John Brian Naylor
Timothy 'Tiff' Needell
Lando Norris
Rodney Nuckey
Keith Jack Oliver
Arthur Owen
Dr. Jonathan Charles Palmer
Jolyon Palmer
Michael Johnson Parkes
Reginald 'Tim' Parnell
Reginald 'Tim' Parnell
Reginald Harold Haslam Parnell
David Piper
Roger Dennistoun 'Dennis' Poore
David Prophet
Thomas Maldwyn Pryce
David Charles Purley
Ian Raby
Brian Herman Thomas Redman
Alan Rees
Lance Reventlow
John Rhodes
William Kenneth 'Ken' Richardson
John Henry Augustin Riseley-Prichard
Richard Robarts
Alan Rollinson
Tony Rolt
George Russell
Roy Francesco Salvadori
Brian Shawe-Taylor
Stephen South
Michael 'Mike' Spence
Alan Stacey
William Stevens
Ian Macpherson M Stewart
James Robert 'Jimmy' Stewart
Sir John Young Stewart
John Surtees
Andy Sutcliffe
Dennis Taylor
Henry Taylor
John Taylor
Michael Taylor
Trevor Taylor
Eric Thompson
Leslie Thorne
Desmond Titterington
Tony Trimmer
Peter Walker
Derek Stanley Arthur Warwick
John Marshall 'Wattie' Watson
Peter Westbury
Kenneth Wharton
Edward N. 'Ted' Whiteaway
Graham Whitehead
Peter Whitehead
Bill Whitehouse
Robin Michael Widdows
Mike Wilds
Jonathan Williams
Roger Williamson
Justin Wilson
Vic Wilson
Formula One World Drivers' Champions
1950 G. Farina
1951 J. Fangio
1952 A. Ascari
1953 A. Ascari
1954 J. Fangio
1955 J. Fangio
1956 J. Fangio
1957 J. Fangio
1958 M. Hawthorn
1959 S. Brabham
1960 S. Brabham
1961 P. Hill, Jr
1962 N. Hill
1963 J. Clark, Jr.
1964 J. Surtees
1965 J. Clark, Jr.
1966 S. Brabham
1967 D. Hulme
1968 N. Hill
1969 S. Stewart
1970 K. Rindt
1971 S. Stewart
1972 E. Fittipaldi
1973 S. Stewart
1974 E. Fittipaldi
1975 A. Lauda
1976 J. Hunt
1977 A. Lauda
1978 M. Andretti
1979 J. Scheckter
1980 A. Jones
1981 N. Piquet
1982 K. Rosberg
1983 N. Piquet
1984 A. Lauda
1985 A. Prost
1986 A. Prost
1987 N. Piquet
1988 A. Senna
1989 A. Prost
1990 A. Senna
1991 A. Senna
1992 N. Mansell
1993 A. Prost
1994 M. Schumacher
1995 M. Schumacher
1996 D. Hill
1997 J. Villeneuve
1998 M. Hakkinen
1999 M. Hakkinen
2000 M. Schumacher
2001 M. Schumacher
2002 M. Schumacher
2003 M. Schumacher
2004 M. Schumacher
2005 F. Alonso
2006 F. Alonso
2007 K. Raikkonen
2008 L. Hamilton
2009 J. Button
2010 S. Vettel
2011 S. Vettel
2012 S. Vettel
2013 S. Vettel
2014 L. Hamilton
2015 L. Hamilton
2016 N. Rosberg
2017 L. Hamilton
2018 L. Hamilton
2019 L. Hamilton

United Kingdom Ridgeway Managements

1957Cooper Climax FPF 1.5 L4Cooper T43 Mark II
Formula 1 image Paul England
Formula 1 image Anthony Ernest 'Tony' Marsh 

Vehicle information, history, and specifications from concept to production.

Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter Conceptcarz RSS News Feed
© 1998-2020 Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.