1909 Auburn Model G
This Model G Auburn is owned by its third owner since new. It features its original interior of heavily-tufted leather and has had its exterior repainted in its original color of carmine. The two-cylinder opposed, water cooled engine produces twenty-four horsepower and the wheelbase measures 100 inches. The car sold new for $1,250, which was the same price for an Overland Model 30, an EMF Model 30, and the Buick Model F.By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
Auburn began producing motor cars in 1903 after producing carriages for several years. The popular Auburn Model G was introduced in 1908. The original price of $1,250 was cut by $100 and sales tripled in 1909, marking the first year that Auburn sold over 1,000 cars.
The Model G featured a two-cylinder, opposed-type, mid-mounted engine producing 24 horsepower. It had two forward gears, plus reverse. Power is transferred to the rear wheels via a center chain drive. The engine is lubricated by a spring-belt six-feed Hill Precision Oiler. The car was advertised to achieve speeds of up to 40 mph in high gear.
The current owner of this vehicle purchased it in 1999 and participated in several local tours for the next 10 years. It was restored in 2009 and won a Primary First Place at the 2012 Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Festival.
The Model G Touring Car, a two-cylinder automobile, was one of the most popular vehicles in the Auburn line. Production of the Model G began in 1908 and would continue until 1911. Through all these years, the 2-cylinder water-cooled engine produced 24 horsepower.
For 1909, the company cut the price on the two-cylinder line by $100. Sales for the year tripled and, for the first time, Auburn exceeded the 1,000 mark. A total of 1,018 Auburns in all models was produced for the year. This upsurge in sales prompted Auburn to plan a plant expansion to increase production capabilities.
1909 was also the same year the company introduced its first line of four-cylinder automobiles. In addition to the larger engine, the four-cylinder line was built on a larger chassis.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
The Auburn Automobile Company of Auburn, Indiana was founded in 1903 by Frank and Morris Eckhart, sons of a successful carriage maker. The automobiles produced by the young brothers soon gained a loyal following and by 1909 they were able to build a foundry and machine works to facilitate manufacturing of their Auburn cars. Production would continue until 1937.