The Kiblinger Company has a history that dates back to 1887, when they were formed to manufacture buggies and eventually bicycles. In 1894, it was purchased by W.H. McIntyre after Mr. W.H. Kiblinger passed away. By 1907, the company was producing commercial automobiles. It is believed that the first cars they produced were built in Eckhart factory. Soon, the company acquired a plant on Lincoln Street in Auburn, Indiana.
When a patent infringement suit appeared by the Success Company in 1908, the company changed its name to the W.H. McIntyre Company and continued with production until 1915.
The Kiblinger automobile, bearing that name from 1907 through 1909, was priced at $250. The Model F, the most expensive Kiblinger in the lineup, sold for $450. The Model A was powered by a two-cylinder engine that produced 4 horsepower. Two other versions of the engine were available - the Model B and C were fitted with a 6 horsepower unit while the Model D, E, and F had the 10-horsepower version.
This original 1907 Runabout was purchased by Henry Ford in 1930 for the Henry Ford Museum collection. The vehicle was in good condition and in running order. The owner, Mr. C. R. Saunders of Grass Creek, Indiana, originally offered the vehicle to the museum for the sum of $500. After months of negotiation, Mr. Saunders sold the vehicle for $25 plus freight charges.
The car has been well preserved by the Henry Ford Museum and remains in excellent condition. The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum purchased the vehicle from the Henry Ford Museum in 1978.
This vehicle is powered by a two-cylinder, horizontally opposed, air cooled engine. The engine displaces 100 cubic-inches and produces twelve horsepower. That power is sent to the rear wheels via a chain. This two-passenger highwheeler has a 65-inch wheelbase and - when new - cost $375.By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2010