Mopar Unveils Avenger Rally Car to Celebrate New Relationship with Magneti Marelli
A new Dodge Avenger rally car was unveiled today at Chrysler Group LLC's Mopar Complex in Center Line, Mich., heralding the first collaboration in the brand's newly announced relationship wîth Magneti Marelli.
The public will get their first glimpse of the vehicle up close at the New York International Auto Show, April 22–May 1.
'Our Dodge Avenger Rally car showcases Mopar's new relationship wîth Magneti Marelli,' said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group's service, parts and customer-care brand. 'Our companies worked closely together to bring this vehicle to life in a joint build that utilizes proven, quality-tested performance parts and accessories from Mopar and Magneti Marelli. We will gauge reaction to this vehicle and determine which parts will go into production.'
Mopar's choice of a rally car to christen the new alliance wîth Magneti Marelli found its roots in the Italian aftermarket parts supplier's rich tradition in rally car competition in Europe, as well as the rising popularity of the motorsport in the Únited States. The build was conducted at Mopar's accessory and performance parts lab in Center Line, Mich., where the vehicle was prepared. The result is a rally car that blends American flair wîth distinct European tradition.
'This is a purpose-built vehicle wîth collaborative parts from Magneti Marelli and Mopar,' said Dino Maggioni, CEO of Magneti Marelli Aftermarket. 'We selected Magneti Marelli and Mopar parts, adapted them to the Dodge Avenger and made them unique. The result is a fascinating blend of these two iconic brands.'
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 3.6 L., 6-cylinder|
Power: 283 hp
Torque: 260 ft-lbs
Starting wîth a stock 2011 Dodge Avenger Heat, Mopar and Magneti Marelli engineers transformed the vehicle into a race-inspired vehicle equipped to handle the most challenging rally courses, while reducing the weight of the vehicle by nearly 200 pounds.
The Dodge Avenger's interior was stripped down to bare essentials then outfitted wîth a variety of unique Mopar and Magneti Marelli parts to complete the conversion into a rally car, including a purpose-built center stack and console wîth a compact high-performance 1 GB data logger and an integrated GPS and inertial platform wîth real-time calculation of pitch and roll angles. A full 8-point Mopar roll cage, race seats wîth 5-point racing harnesses, §teering wheel and diamond-plate foot well from OMP, a world-renowned racing component manufacturer, round out the interior transformation.
A new Dodge Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 engine powers the Dodge Avenger rally car, controlled by paddle shifts integrated into the §teering wheel. To enhance performance, the exhaust system and Mopar cold-air intake boost horsepower from 283 bhp to 300 bhp. A high-performance Mopar/Magneti Marelli braking system provides a stable, solid braking performance under all driving conditions for the Dodge Avenger. As part of this braking package, a single-lever, dual-control rear braking system, which allows the driver to actuate both rear brakes in order to initiate the sudden slides and turns required in negotiating tough rally courses, is included.
A special Mopar/Magneti Marelli-modified suspension lowers the ride of the Dodge Avenger by 1.5 inches, improving handling, cornering ability and response as the vehicle zooms over rally course obstacles on durable Pirelli tires and unique Mopar/Magneti Marelli 18-inch alloy racing wheels. The exterior is finished in Brilliant Black and features a Mopar/Magneti Marelli graphics wrap wîth a rear spoiler, hood and mud flaps.
Úpon completion of the vehicle, engineers conducted extensive performance testing at Chrysler Group's proving grounds in Chelsea, Mich.
Following is information on Mopar's Dodge Avenger Rally Car:CHASSIS
• Stock 2011 Dodge Avenger Heat INTERIOR
• Flat carbon fiber inner door panels
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique carbon-fiber hydra-graphics center stack
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli fully programmable slim racing display wîth shift lights and alarm multi-color LEDs
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique carbon-fiber hydra-graphics center console
• OMP racing seats, branded Mopar
• OMP 5-point racing harnesses
• OMP §teering wheel wîth Mopar/Magneti Marelli integrated paddle-shift system
• OMP footrests
• Mopar full 8-point roll cage
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli fire extinguisher
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli compact high-performance 1 GB data logger
• GPS box wîth integrated inertial platform wîth real-time calculation of pitch and roll angles ÚNDERHOOD
• Dodge Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 engine
• Mopar tower-to-tower cross-car brace
• Mopar cold-air intake
• Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust w/Magneti Marelli tips
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli high-performance ECÚ wîth TC, DBW, VVT BRAKES/GEARBOX
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli rally package rear brake system, wîth hand-operated rally brake
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique front brakes wîth 14.25-inch diameter front rotors and 13.5-inch diameter rear rotors
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique paddle-gear shift
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli shift knob
• Stock 6-speed 62TE autostick transmission SÚSPENSION
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli suspension system, lowering the car 1.5-inches WHEELS/TIRES
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli 18-inch alloy racing wheels
• 225/650 R18 competition Pirelli P-Zero tires EXTERIOR
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique rear spoiler
• OMP hood pins
• Mopar/Magneti Marelli unique mud flaps
• Mopar and Magneti Marelli graphics, wîth logos from sponsor Shell Lubricants
• Mopar Brilliant Black body color Mopar-First Features
Mopar has introduced numerous -first features including:
• Camper trailers: first to introduce off-road camper trailers
• Vehicle-information smartphone apps: first to introduce smartphone vehicle-information applications, a new channel of communication wîth consumers
Electronic owner manuals: first to introduce traditional owner manuals in a DVD and brief user-guide format
• Electronic Vehicle Tracking System (EVTS): first to introduce new vehicle tracking system that sends owner a text when vehicle is driven too fast or too far based on set parameters
• 2011 Challenger Drag Pak: first to introduce a 500-plus cubic-inch V-10 drag-race package car
• WiFi: first to offer customers the ability to make their vehicle a wireless hot spot
• WiTECH: first to support vehicle diagnosis and software updates leveraging off-the-shelf personal computers and a dedicated wireless tool network About the Mopar Brand
Mopar is Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brand.
Mopar distributes approximately 280,000 parts and accessories in more than 90 countries and is the source for all original-equipment parts for Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge, Ram and Fiat vehicles. Mopar parts are unique in that they are engineered and tested wîth the same teams that create factory-authorized vehicle specifications for Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram and Fiat vehicles – a direct connection that no other aftermarket parts company can provide. A complete list of Mopar accessories and performance parts is available at www.mopar.com.Source - Dodge
Based on the platform of the Mitsubishi Galant the Dodge Avenger was produced from1995 through 2000. A two-door sports coupe, the Avenger easily fits up to four passengers with ease, yet is still sleek and powerful enough to attract sporty drivers.
The Avenger was available in both base and ES trim models and originally was available in two different engine size an transmission types, the four-cylinder 5-speed base model and the V6 automatic ES. The V6 eventually became standard on all trim models, but was only available as an automatic. The original Avenger featured 103in wheelbase. The V6 engine was only available with the A604 transmission and could not be swapped out easily due to a lack of transmission capable of fitting around the front axle.
Born out of a partnership between Chrysler and Mitsubishi, the Dodge Avenger featured an exciting style and a spacious cabin. The Avenger was built by Diamon Star Motors, along with the similar Chrysler Sebring coupe on a stretched Mitsubishi Galant platform
The Avenger was discontinued in 2000 and Dodge's newest coupe was renamed the Stratus Coupe.
In 2008 the Dodge Avenger name resurfaced as an athletically designed 4-door sedan that became the successor to the Dodge Stratus. Sharing its platform with the Chrysler Sebring the '08 Dodge Avenger featured 3 engines, a fuel efficient, relatively weak 2.4 liter 4-cylinder capable of 173 horsepower, the mid range offering 189 horsepower 2.7 liter V6 and a 3.5 liter V6 powerhouse that delivered 235 horsepower. The 2.4 liter 4-cylinde engine sent horsepower to the front wheel via a 4-speed automatic transmission, while the 2.7 liter V6 was more refined than the noisy 4-cylinder. The 3.5 liter V6 was available with front or all wheel drive.
The 4-cylinder Avenger SE features power windows, mirrors, door locks, AM/FM/CD stereo with auxiliary audio jack, AC and cruise control. The Avenger SXT features 17-inch alloy wheels, and anti-lock brakes. The Avenger R/T featured 18-inch wheels, 4-wheel disc bakes, a sport tuned suspension system, 6 disc CD/DVD changer and automatic climate control. The R/T came standard with traction and stability control.
Basically a 5-passenger sedan, the 2008 Dodge Avenger is one of the many sport themed midsize sedans in the market today. The Avenger will replace the outdated and aging Stratus sedan and along with the redesigned Sebring will use a shared DaimlerChrysler/Mitsubishi Motors platform called the GS. The GS platform will be stretched in size and known as the JS.By Jessica Donaldson