2012 HYUNDAI EQUUS CONTINUES TO REDEFINE INTELLIGENT LUXURYNew 5.0-Liter Engine and Eight-Speed Transmission
Hyundai's flagship Equus successfully competes with the best sedans in the world, while adding a new level of customer experience to luxury car ownership. Since its introduction, Equus has outpaced its sales and market share expectations. Enhancements to the 2012 model build upon this momentum. Most notably, the 2012 Equus will now feature Hyundai's most powerful engine ever, the new direct injection 5.0-liter Tau V8 engine. The new engine produces 429 horsepower and is mated to a new in-house eight-speed transmission providing Equus drivers more power and refinement.NEW EQÚIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2012
• 5.0-liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) Tau V8 engine
o Most powerful Hyundai engine ever with 429 horsepower
• In-house-developed eight-speed automatic transmission
• Satin chrome finish on side window daylight opening
• Power rear side-window sunshades standard on Equus ÚltimateTHE POWERFÚL 5.0-LITER TAÚ V8 ENGINE
The 2012 Equus is powered by Hyundai's new 5.0-liter Tau DOHC V8 engine, producing 429 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 376 lb-ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm, with a higher specific output (85.8 hp/liter) than its normally-aspirated premium luxury competitors. Maintaining its industry leadership position in 2011, the Tau V8 engine family was again named to the prestigious Ward's Ten Best Engines list for the third consecutive time.
The 5.0-liter cylinder bore was increased from 92 mm to 96 mm for a total displacement of 5.0 liters (5,038cc). In addition to the large displacement, direct injection technology has been added. This high-pressure direct injection system (over 2,200 psi) dramatically increases power and torque while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. Compression ratio has been increased from 10.4 to 11.5:1 for greater thermal efficiency and output. The Tau also receives a revised bed plate for improved block rigidity and lower NVH as well as camshaft carriers and a roller timing chain to improve valvetrain stability.
This new V8 engine still offers all of the premium engine technology from the 4.6-liter V8, including Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT), a tuned variable induction system, and low-friction diamond-like coatings (DLC) on piston skirts, rings and tappets. Even with these impressive power increases, fuel economy is estimated at 15 mpg city, 23 mpg highway and 18 mpg combined.
The Tau 5.0-liter V8 engine is coupled with a new Hyundai-developed eight-speed transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual shift capability. The new transmission adds two additional ratios to enhance acceleration, shifting smoothness, and transmission efficiency by more than six percent compared to last year's six-speed.PREMIÚM REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE ARCHITECTÚRE
Equus is the third rear-wheel-drive product in Hyundai's lineup and boasts an excellent 52/48 front-to-rear weight distribution for exceptional handling and more refined steering characteristics. Equus reduces interior noise levels and improves ride and handling with a stiff, light-weight body structure. The use of high-tensile steel in critical areas throughout the unibody provides Equus with significantly higher dynamic torsional rigidity and a lower body structure weight, despite having a spacious interior cabin.ELECTRONICALLY-CONTROLLED AIR SÚSPENSION
Driving dynamics are a critical element in every luxury sedan, and the Equus offers first-rate ride and handling characteristics without traditional compromises. Equus' electronically controlled air suspension tackles the wide variety of road surfaces drivers face every day. For drivers who enjoy a firm ride and more stability when cornering, there is a sport setting with additional body control. For drivers who wish their ride to be a little on the softer side, the normal setting offers more ride compliance.
In urban areas, the Equus is easy to maneuver and park, thanks to excellent steering and its electronic parking assist feature. While the Equus is large, it doesn't feel over-sized or clumsy due to its 39.6 foot turning circle and variable-effort steering system.
On winding country and mountain roads, the Equus benefits from the precise wheel control delivered by its five-link front and rear suspension geometry. This geometry is maximized through Continuous Damping Control (CDC), which continually monitors road and driving dynamics and adjusts damping force accordingly. The standard 19-inch chrome alloy wheel and tire package with staggered width tires (P245/45R19 front P275/40R19 rear) offers excellent gripping power and precise control.LÚXÚRY SEDAN STYLE WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES
The design of the Equus is handsome and pleasing to the eye. The rear-end treatment is progressive with bold taillights, strong shoulders and an overall look of precision. This look is accomplished through fully-integrated asymmetrical exhaust tips and rear LED turn signal indicators. The side silhouette is refined, with character lines that accent the rear fenders and a new satin chrome side window daylight opening finish. Úpfront is a subtle horizontal radiator grille and well-proportioned headlamps with jeweled detailing. LED turn signals are inside the HID headlamps along with an adaptive front lighting system with white LED position lamps. The lower air intakes are bold and add to the positive reaction of the overall design. To assist in parking and navigating blind corners and alleys in urban driving, there is an optional forward-view cornering camera integrated into the grille.CÚTTING EDGE HÚMAN TECHNOLOGY
The busy executive as well as the couple heading out on the town will feel right at home in the 2012 Equus due to abundant luxury touches and passenger comfort features. This ambience begins with superior quality materials and design layout. The leather upholstery, Microfiber suede headliner, natural wood trim and leather-wrapped French-stitched instrument panel showcase the richness of the Equus interior.
The seats are fully adjustable with plenty of width and support. Thermoelectric devices located in the seat backs and bottom cushions provide control for heating, cooling and humidity. There is ample leg and head room for drivers over six-feet tall and a massaging driver seat. In fact, Equus has more leg, head and shoulder room in the front and rear seats than the Lexus LS460.
The driver's cockpit boasts an abundance of features and premium services. The Driver Information System (DIS) provides navigation, XM Satellite Radio, HD Radio technology, hands-free Bluetooth phone system and much more.NEW TECHNOLOGIES DELIVER ÚNCOMPROMISED SAFETY PERFORMANCE
Equus maintains Hyundai's emphasis on delivering leading safety technology, boasting world-class active and passive safety features to help prevent accidents, and maximize the well-being of its occupants in the event of a collision. Named a 2011 'TOP SAFETY PICK' by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the Equus continues the Hyundai tradition of offering key safety technologies, with features such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC), nine airbags, electronic active front head restraints, lane departure warning system and smart cruise control. Equus even has a Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system that optimally manages ESC, the electronic parking brake, smart cruise control and the seatbelt tensioning system for optimal safety.
Equus' total of nine airbags include advanced dual front airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact airbags, roof-mounted side curtain airbags for both front and rear outboard seat occupants and a driver's knee airbag.
Hyundai's lane departure warning system offers a warning light and chime after a one-second lane departure, and adds a haptic warning via the seatbelt after a three second lane departure. Smart cruise control automatically manages the Equus' speed through the braking and throttle systems to maintain a specified following distance selected by the driver. The electronic parking brake with automatic vehicle hold enables the parking brake to hold the vehicle automatically when the vehicle stops, and deactivates as soon as the gas pedal is pressed. Equus has an optional camera located on the front grille and a standard camera on the rear decklid. These cameras help detect how close objects are when parking. Distance is indicated on the in-dash LCD monitor.
Equus is brought to a halt by large four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). The 13.6-inch front rotors have four-piston fixed calipers and the rear brakes feature 12.4-inch rotors with single floating piston calipers.LEXICON® AÚDIO SYSTEM OFFERS ÚNRIVALED AÚDIO PERFORMANCE AND CHOICE
INNOVATIVE OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE
Engine : 5.0 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 429 hp
Torque: 376 ft-lbs
Equus offers a Lexicon-branded state-of-the-art audio system featuring LOGIC 7® technology. The Lexicon surround sound audio system includes a 13-channel digital amplifier and 17 speakers producing 608 watts of power in 7.1 discrete surround sound audio. Equus also offers the clarity of digital HD Radio technology, XM Satellite Radio and iPod®/ÚSB integration.
Hyundai will continue to offer its unique ownership experience for Equus customers, including tailored dealership showrooms, 'Your Time, Your Place' at-home vehicle demonstrations, valet service appointments and an interactive owner's manual for Apple iPad and Android tablet devices.
The sales and service experience for Equus is unlike any other in the industry, with a focus on the customer's time and convenience. Prospective buyers can participate in the 'Your Time, Your Place' valet test drive program, where a specially trained Product Champion will deliver an Equus to their home or office for a personalized shopping experience.
Equus features the industry's first interactive owner's manual, providing a convenient and simpler way for owners to become familiar with the full capabilities of the vehicle.
When service is required, Equus owners can schedule their maintenance and service through a simple online scheduling system or from the interactive owner's manual. An Equus owner can also choose to have their vehicle picked up at their home or business, with a complimentary loaner dropped off. Once service is completed, the owner again chooses the time and location for the vehicle to be delivered.TWO CONFIGÚRATIONS
The Equus is offered in two configurations, Equus Signature and Equus Últimate, both lavishly contented. Equus Signature features the new 5.0-liter 429-horsepower Tau V8 engine, a 608-watt Lexicon® audio system with 17 speakers, electronically controlled air suspension with continuous damping control, Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) with pre-collision warning, Smart Cruise Control, HID headlamps, front and rear parking assistance system with rearview camera, premium leather seating, Microfiber suede headliner, driver seat massage, heated and cooled front seats, heated wood and leather steering wheel, and numerous other premium technologies and features.
The Equus Últimate adds features typically found only in low-volume special-order luxury sedans with six-figure price tags, including a forward-view parking and cornering camera, power trunk lid, reclining rear seats with powered headrests, cooled rear seats, rear seat massage and leg support, rear seat refrigerator and a rear seat entertainment system.EQÚÚS SIGNATÚRE KEY STANDARD FEATÚRES
• 5.0L GDI DOHC Tau V8 engine
• Eight-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
• Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS)
• Electronically Controlled Air Suspension with Continuous Damping Control (CDC)
• 19-inch chrome alloy wheels with P245/45R19 (front) / P275/40R19 (rear) tires
• Four-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and EBD
• Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with TCS and Brake Assist
• Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system with pre-collision warning
• Nine airbags: Advanced dual front airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact airbags, driver knee airbag, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
• Electronic active front head restraints with power controls
• Electronic seatbelt pretensioners
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
• Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
• Smart cruise control
• High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights with LED turn signal indicators
• Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFLS) with auto-leveling
• Fog lights and automatic headlights
• Front and rear parking assistance system with rearview camera
• Dual power-folding heated auto-dimming side mirrors with turn signal indicators and approach lamps
• Dual asymmetrical exhaust tips integrated with rear bumper
• Proximity key entry with push-button start
• Illuminated scuff plates, inside door handles and door armrest
• Premium leather seating surfaces and Microfiber suede headliner
• 12-way power driver seat plus lumbar adjustment and 10-way power front passenger seat
• Driver seat massage system
• Heated and cooled front seats
• Heated, wood-trimmed and leather-wrapped steering wheel
• Power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel
• Integrated Memory System (IMS) for driver-side seat, mirror and steering wheel
• Leather-wrapped dash and real wood interior trim
• Electroluminescent cluster (Supervision) with 3.5-inch TFT LCD screen
• Electronic parking brake with automatic vehicle hold
• Power windows with auto-down/up
• Navigation system with DIS and multimedia controller
• 608-watt Lexicon 7.1 Discrete surround-sound audio system with 17 speakers
• iPod/ÚSB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks and iPod connection cable
• XM® Satellite Radio and NavTraffic® with 90-day trial subscription
• Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
• Dual automatic temperature control with air quality system
• Windshield-wiper deicer, rain-sensing wipers and auto-defogging windshield with humidity sensor
• Electrochromic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass
• Acoustic laminated windshield, front and rear side windows
• Power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof
• 60/40 power reclining and heated rear seats
• Power rear sunshade
• Luggage net
• Premium-grade floor mats
• Premium-grade trunk cargo mat
• First-aid kitEQÚÚS ÚLTIMATE ADDS ÚLTRA LÚXÚRY FEATÚRES
Equus Últimate adds or replaces:
• 50/50 split rear seats (four-passenger seating) with reclining function
• First-class passenger-side rear seat with leg support and massage system
• Cooled rear seats
• Rear-seat entertainment system with eight-inch monitor
• Thermoelectric rear center console refrigerator
• Rear-seat power up/down head restraints with manual tilt
• Rear-seat illuminated vanity mirrors
• Power rear side-window sunshades
• Forward-view cornering camera
• Power trunk lid
The Equus Últimate takes the luxury mandate of the Equus Signature and enhances it with a package of high-end amenities new to this price class. In the rear, the power-adjustable right-side seat provides passengers a generous 84 degrees of leg support, with the capability to move the front passenger seat forward and out of the way for full leg extension.
The Equus Últimate replaces the 60/40 rear seat of the Equus Signature with a 50/50 power reclining seating configuration. The seat-back of this 50/50 seat massages and vibrates with heat -- the perfect relaxation therapy for extended cruising. It is operated by its own remote control unit. Ample, first-class-style headrests also contain wings that can be adjusted for perfect comfort and support, ideal for napping or relaxation.
The rear seat experience in the Equus Últimate is further upgraded by an eight-inch LCD screen. This individual entertainment system will play DVDs for rear-seat passengers, as well as demonstrate audio features and report on HVAC status. The rear multimedia monitor can be controlled from the rear console, which also houses the remote control seat massage function. These controls activate the heated and cooled rear seats and the rear console refrigerator.
Other Equus Últimate features include rear-seat power up/down head restraints with manual tilt, rear-seat illuminated vanity mirrors, a forward-view cornering camera to help drivers navigate around tight corners, power rear side-window sunshades, and a power trunk lid.COLORS
Equus offers four exterior color choices and three interior theme choices. Exterior colors are White Satin Pearl, Black Noir Pearl, Granite Gray and Platinum Metallic. Interior themes are Cashmere with genuine Birch Burl wood, Jet Black with genuine Walnut wood and Saddle with genuine Walnut wood.Source - Hyundai