'SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' to Make World Premiere at Los Angeles Auto Show
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that the world premiere of the 'SÚBARÚ BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' will take place at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November 2011 (Press day: November 16 and 17; Open to the public from November 18 through 27 in the Únited States).
The 'SÚBARÚ BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' is a concept car based on the 'SÚBARÚ BRZ', an all-new rear-wheel drive (RWD) compact sports car developed from an ongoing joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation. Built with Subaru's core technology of the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine, this model has a low center of gravity that realizes a 'Pure Handling Delight' driving experience. Combined with motifs of Subaru's iconic performance brand 'STI', the concept car embodies an ultimate handling performance.
Source - Subaru
About Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, is a leading manufacturer in Japan with a long history of technological innovations that dates back to its origin as an aircraft company. While the automotive business is a main business pillar, FHI's Aerospace, Industrial Products and Eco Technologies divisions offer a diverse range of products from general-purpose engines, power generators, and sanitation trucks to small airplanes, crucial components for passenger aircrafts, and wind-powered electricity generating systems. Recognized internationally for its AWD (all-wheel drive) technology and Horizontally-Opposed engines in Subaru, FHI is also spearheading the development of environmentally friendly products and is committed to contributing to global environmental preservation.
'SUBARU BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' to Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today unveiled the world premiere of 'SÚBARÚ BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' at the 2011 Los Angeles International Auto Show. (Press days on November 16 and 17. Open to public from November 18 to 27 in ÚS) The 'SÚBARÚ BRZ CONCEPT - STI -' is a concept car based on the 'SÚBARÚ BRZ', an all-new rear-wheel drive (RWD) compact sports car developed from an ongoing joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation. By making full use of the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer, Subaru's core technology, this concept car further pursued a 'Pure Handling Delight' driving experience that can be realized by the Boxer engine's low center of gravity. Combined with motifs of Subaru's iconic performance brand 'STI', the concept car embodies an ultimate handling performance and symbolizes the possibilities the SÚBARÚ BRZ holds for the future.
• By installing the Boxer engine as low as possible, the low hood and sleek roofline together compose a sophisticated form. This is also blended with STI performance touches for a Subaru sporting profile.
• A hexagonal lower front grille, hawk eye headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps make the front face instantly recognizable as Subaru.
• STI-made lower front spoiler and rear wing magnify down-force and aerodynamics performance. They allow stable straight driving and excellent handling at high speeds.
• The rear design with bold rear fender flares, large rear-diffuser, and twin dual tailpipes intensifies the STI performance feel.
• A carbon-fiber roof, already installed in a WRX STI model and highly acclaimed, has been employed by the concept car. With it, extra weight reduction and an even lower center of gravity were achieved, contributing considerably to the ultimate handling performance this concept model aims to offer.
• The lively exterior color 'WR Blue Pearl II' is a new generation of the iconic WR blue paint scheme that emphasizes the racing image.Engine
• The Boxer engine has inherent qualities of light weight, compactness, low center of gravity, and high rigidity – all pointing toward its great potential as a sports car engine. Taking full advantage of these features, a 2.0-liter horizontally-opposed four-cylinder direct fuel-injection gasoline engine has been developed exclusively for BRZ.
• The engine has been designed with a square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm. Combined with Toyota's D-4S direct injection technology (fuel injection system), high output and high environmental standards were both attained, both expected of a new generation sports car.Chassis and Body
• Compared with other Subaru models, the engine in SÚBARÚ BRZ CONCEPT - STI - sits an impressive 120 mm lower and is positioned 240 mm closer to the center of the chassis. As a result, this car has achieved one of the lowest possible center of gravity in cars on the market today.
• By incorporating lightweight parts such as a carbon-fiber roof, the overall weight has been reduced. Subaru has also succeeded in attaining a body structure that is both lightweight and highly rigid in a striking balance. The concept car is the embodiment of pure driving enjoyment only obtainable with a 'Boxer sports car'.
• Its unique handling performance has been remarkably refined by adopting STI's lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels with performance tires and STI tuned suspension with excellent lateral stiffness.
• Brembo brakes enhance braking performance.Source - Subaru