Exquisitely balancing the enjoyment of driving with environmental friendliness, the car, under its product concept of 'Revolutionary Sports Tourer', embodies Subaru's theme of 'Confidence in Motion'. This C-segment class car was developed as a new-generation sports wagon providing both superior driving performance and utility. It features an innovative exterior design not found in conventional wagon models and expert wagon utility Subaru has cultivated over the years.
The well established sports power unit, the Horizontally-Opposed Subaru Boxer engine, is now with direct fuel injection. This highlight mixed with Subaru's downsizing concept and original Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) expertise has enabled Subaru to make considerate progress on its unique Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) technology. An even sportier drivability and advanced environmental friendliness are both attainable in this new concept car.
2. Design and Packaging
• Subaru's brand statement 'Confidence in Motion' is portrayed in the outward design as well. The dynamic yet sleek look promises an enthusiastic drive, while the cabin offers all the usability of a C-segment wagon.
• A flowing line on the side surfaces augments the stylish design calling to mind a coupe style car.
• In pursuit of Subaru's human-centered philosophy, all passengers are assured a safe and pleasant ride in a comfortable and quality interior.
• An entire roof made of glass adds to the spacious feel. Various textures such as wood and metal are incorporated into the inside layout to produce ample ambiance.
• A large monitor is built into the steering wheel allowing access to maps, television and internet services.
Information will be available at hand to support contemporary lifestyles even in the car.
- High torque compatible Lineartronic (CVT) -
(1) Next-Generation Power Únit System
- Downsized direct fuel injection turbo engine -
• The downsized direct fuel injection turbo engine is one of the principal technologies that will guide Subaru's engine strategy in the future. Not only is acceleration quick and smooth with the new-generation Horizontally-Opposed engine, it is environmentally friendly. The direct fuel injection system which injects necessary amounts of fuel into the cylinders at appropriate moments, and a turbo system which efficiently supplies large amounts of air into the cylinders, along with the downsizing of current turbo engine displacements (2,500cc and 2,000cc) to 1,600cc drastically improve combustion efficiency at practical driving-speed range compared to the existing turbo engine.
• Lineartronic is Subaru's continuously variable transmission device designed for the new era. It is the world's first longitudinally-mounted chain drive CVT to be utilized in mass-produced AWD passenger cars. For the concept car, the Lineartronic was refined to satisfy the high-power output turbo engine.- Hybrid system -
• Subaru's original hybrid system has been developed to harmonize with the Symmetrical AWD
technology, another one of its specialties, and to further enhance its appeal. A single motor system was employed for its simple structure and light weight.
• This system has an Electric Vehicle (EV) mode which allows AWD motion using only the motor at start-ups and low-speed drives. When decelerating, the regenerating mechanism uses the motor as a power generator.
Subaru's advanced driving assist system EyeSight (Version 2), well received since its release in May 2010, has made further progress. The recognition range of the stereo camera has expanded considerably, both in width and depth.
SÚBARÚ IMPREZA SPORT
Engine : 1.6 L., 4-cylinder
Length x Width x Height: 4,580 x 1,840 x 1,430mm
Engine type: 1.6 liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel injection turbo engine
Transmission type: High torque compatible Lineartronic
Drive train: Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with hybrid system
Battery type: Lithium-ion battery
(5-door) / IMPREZA G4 (4-door)
(information release date: November 30) Concept
The product concept is 'Redefining Value, Redefining Class'. In addition to incorporating the latest model Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine and the newly developed Lineartronic (CVT), every aspect of the basic structure was reviewed and modified. The modifications include the reduction of overall weight, advances in aerodynamics and rolling resistance, etc. Significant progress was made in its environmental friendliness, most of all fuel efficiency.
Furthermore, special attention was paid to the further refinement of fun-to-drive characteristics which is an essential role of the vehicle. Plus, the new IMPREZA offers a spacious and comfortable cabin with high-quality feel, without increasing its body size. Body types: 5-door/4-door
Length x Width x Height (5-door): 4,415 x 1,740 x 1,465mm
Engine types: 1.6/2.0 liter third generation Horizontally-Opposed engine
Transmission type: Lineartronic (CVT)SÚBARÚ BRZ
Based on its product concept of 'Pure Handling Delight', at its core is the Horizontally-Opposed engine known for its light weight, compactness, and low center of gravity. That combined with Subaru's rear-wheel drive platform, the SÚBARÚ BRZ seeks a new level of lowness in center of gravity, one of the lowest in the world, and offers excellent handling performance. It is a sports car that can provide a pure handling delight experience to anyone behind the wheel. 2. Mechanisms
Founded on the third generation Horizontally-Opposed engine, the SÚBARÚ BRZ carries a new 2.0 liter Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder engine which was specially designed to fulfill the desired factors of a sports car. Specifically, the bore and stroke are set in a square formation of 86 x 86mm and combined with Toyota's direct fuel injection technology (D-4S), thus allowing higher output and more environmental friendliness – the ideal for a new age
Length x Width x Height: 4,240 x 1,775 x 1,300mm
Engine type: 2.0 liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel injection engine
Transmission type: 6MT/E-6AT
Drive train: Rear-wheel drive
Suspension: front – strut
rear – double wishbone S206 (information release date: November 24)
Subaru Tecnica International Inc.*, which manages all of Subaru's motorsport activities, put in their years of engineering expertise into the original tune-up of 4-door SÚBARÚ IMPREZA WRX STI. S206 is a STI complete model that has been refined to ultimate maneuverability, stability and handling performance.
*Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI; President Hiroyuki Karamatsu; located in Mitaka, Tokyo)
List of Exhibits
- SÚBARÚ ADVANCED TOÚRER CONCEPT (world premiere; concept car)
- SÚBARÚ IMPREZA SPORT / IMPREZA G4 (Japan premiere; information release date - November 30;
- SÚBARÚ BRZ (world premiere; display model)
- S206 (information release date - November 24; display model)
- SÚBARÚ LEGACY B4 2.5GT EyeSight S Package – Premium Leather Selection (display model)
- SÚBARÚ EXIGA 2.5i spec. B EyeSight (display model)
- SÚBARÚ FORESTER 2.0XS typeS (display model)
- SÚBARÚ LEGACY OÚTBACK 2.5i EyeSight EX Edition (production model)
- New generation Boxer engine lineup (technology exhibit)Source - Subaru