The Sweptside was a glamorous Dodge pickup with wild 'jet -age' styling. Introduced in 1957 and built in limited numbers through the 1959 model year, the Sweptside's, high-style appearance was achieved ingeniously and economically, by grafting 1957 Dodge station wagon quarter panels onto the sides of a standard pickup truck.
New-for-1958 'quad' headlamps gave the face -lifted Dodge trucks a more modern appearance, and the massive grille was especially impressive. Only 975 Dodge Sweptside pickups were built in 1958.
Our featured 1958 Sweptside is a ground-up restoration of a well-equipped California vehicle. Options include the large-window deluxe cab, 315 cubic-inch 'Power Giant' V8 engine, pushbutton Torque-Flite automatic transmission, power steering and roof -mounted radio. The current owner acquired the truck in 2000, after it had been stored for two decades in the decaying Detroit Packard Plant.
In mid-1957, Dodge introduced its Sweptside pickup to compete head-to-head with Ford's passenger car-based Ranchero and Chevrolet's Cameo Carrier. Dodge Trucks' Special Equipment Group wedded the finned rear quarters and rear bumper from the 1957 Dodge suburban two-door station wagon to the flanks of a standard Dodge half-ton pickup. Along with new styling, the truck was given an optional V-8 engine that Dodge the most powerful engine in the light truck field.
Sweptside pickups came standard with the custom cab, which added a glove box, two tone seat material covering foam rubber cushions, two sun visors, a wraparound rear window and 2-speed wipers. Custom cab exterior features additional chrome trim and embellishments. Dodge offered the Sweptside with two tone paint, wide white wall tires and full wheel covers.
All 1957 Dodge trucks received a bold new Forward Look front-end design with hooded headlights, a stylish new grille and a fully-opening, rear-hinged hood.
Many of the Dodge Sweptside Pickups featured a 315 cubic-inch Wideblock V8 engine, three-speed push-button LoadFlite transmission, power brakes, whitewall tires, and two-tone paint.
There were less than 3000 made over a three year period of time and approximately 900 were built in 1958.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012