This Packard was a 'one-off' dual windshield Phaeton built on a twin-six V-12 chassis. In 1940, Brooks Stevens purchased the car from the original owner, through his friend James Melton, and kept it until his death. The current owners purchased the car from Brooks Stevens estate in 1997 and subsequently had a full ground-up restoration completed
The car is powered by a 424.1 cubic-inch 12-cylinder engine that offers 90 horsepower. There is a Packard Downdraft with Fuelizer carburetor, a wheelbase that measures 136 inches and seating for five passengers.
Since the company's inception in 1899, the Packard Motor Car Company established its reputation as the maker of one of the world's finest motorcars. Originally founded in Warren, Ohio, the company moved to Detroit, Michigan in 1905. Also in 1905, the company moved away from one and two-cylinder mid-engine machines to four-cylinder offerings. In 1907, the company introduced their four-cylinder Model 30.
A new six-cylinder car was introduced for 1912. It was initially known as just that - the Six, later being called 'the 48' as its name.
Under the leadership of engineer Jesse Vincent, a twelve-cylinder engine was introduced. By late 1915, production began on the model dubbed the 'Twin Six.'
This particular Touring car is a Model 3-35 Twin Six. It has been driven just 8,000 miles that remains in highly original condition. It is finished in black and Packard blue over straw wheels. There is an aluminum dash board which houses all the original instruments and equipment.
The engine is a 424 cubic-inch V12 fitted with a single carburetor and offers 88 horsepower. There is a three-speed tranmsision and rear-mechanical brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2017
The Packard Twin Six was produced from 1915 - 1923. The name 'Twin Six' would be revived years later eventually becoming known as the Packard 'Twelve'.
There were 7,746 examples of the Packard Twin Six sold in 1916, its introductory year, with figures increasing to 8,899 in 1917. This was an amazing accomplishment considering the relatively high starting price of $2,600 that these luxury cars demanded.
The V-12 engine was comprised of two six-cylinder cars-iron blocks set at a 60-degree angle and rested atop an aluminum crankcase. It was a side-valve design that displaced a total of 424 cubic-inches and produced 88 horsepower. The pistons were made from lightweight aluminum alloy and there was full pressure lubrication which aided in the engines longevity.
The engine, clutch, and gearbox were a single unit and replaced Packard's earlier design of having the transaxle mounted on the rear axle. Packard was one of the first to use this type of drivelines. This setup reduced unsprung weight of the rear axle, improved ride and handling, and provided more reliability and rigidity.
The technological improvements continued for 1917 with Packard introducing a redesigned Twin Six with separate cylinder block and head castings. The aluminum pistons now had two compression rings and an oil scraper. Also, the intake and exhaust manifolds were redesigned. Even with these improvements, the horsepower rated remained at 88, although the rated RPM figure droped from 3000 to 2600. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2008
The Packard Twelve was produced from 1933 to 1939 with over 35,000 examples produced. It is considered by many to be one of the finest automobiles produced by Packard and one of the most significant creations of the classic car era. The long and flowing front hood hid a 445 cubic-inch side-valve twelve cylinder engine that was refined, powerful, smooth, and quiet.
The engine was originally destined for a front wheel drive project which eventually proved to have weaknesses. That and the anticipated development cost were too much to be practical so Packard decided to scrap the idea. Cadillac had introduced their 16-cylinder engine and other marques such as Pierce-Arrow were improving the performance of their offerings. Packard was feeling the pressure and decided to place the engine into the Deluxe Eight Chassis and dubbed it the Twin Six. The name was in honor of Packard's achievement fifteen years earlier when the introduced their first 12-cylinder engine. By 1933 the name was changed to Twelve to be inline with the rest of the Packard models.
Most of the Packard production Twelve's received factory bodies. Only a handful received custom coachwork by such greats as LeBaron and Dietrich.
In 1935 Packard introduced more horsepower and mechanical improvements. The suspension became more plush and comfortable while the steering became easier to operate. The cars were designed and built as one unit including the fenders, running boards, hood and body.
1936 the final year for 17 inch wire wheels and the double blade bumpers with hydraulic dampers. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
A prototype Acura NSX has lapped the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington Ohio just prior to the running of the Honda Indy 200 exciting fans in the state where the NSX is being developed and will...