The Swallow Sidecar Company was formed and 1922 and by 1934, they were known as the S.S. cars Ltd. In 1945, the name was changed to Jaguar Cars Ltd for reasons as described by Sir William Lyons in a charmingly British understatement, 'The initials 'S.S.' are now inappropriate for an English car company, as they were shared by Nazi Germany's most feared troops, a sector of the community not highly regarded....'
The Swallow Sidecar Company was formed in Blackpool by William Lyons, on September of 1922 (at the tender age of 21). His partner was William Walmsley. The purpose of the company was to produce sidecars for motorcycles. Over the years the company prospered and soon was able to move into larger facilities at Crocker Street. At that time, the name of the company was changed to Swallow Sidecar and Coachbuilding Company. Their Austin Swallow Two-seater soon followed and orders for close to 500 examples helped enjoy its longevity. The vehicle was a re-bodied version of the Austin Seven.
In 1928, the company moved to Coventry. A larger vehicle was soon introduced and based on FIAT chassis. The company continued to introduce new designs and various models throughout the early 1930s.
By Daniel Vaughan | May 2013
The S.S. II was produced from 1933 through 1935. They were fitted with a Standard 4-cylinder sidevalve (flathead) engine of 1006, 1343, or 1608cc's. In comparison to their S.S. 1 sibling, they were an entry level version that was smaller and more economical. Bodystyles included a coupe, saloon, and touring versions.