The Mercedes-Benz W02 was introduced at the Berlin Motor Show in October 1926, powered by a two-liter, straight-six cylinder side-valve engine. The 8/38 refers to 8 taxable horsepower, and 38 actual (metric) horsepower. It was developed under Technical Director Ferdinand Porsche along with the smaller Mercedes-Benz W01 (which never progressed beyond the prototype stage) and the larger three-liter W03. This was one of the first cars bearing the name 'Mercedes-Benz' following the creation of Daimler-Benz in July 1926 from the merger of the Daimler and Benz firms.
The maximum output of 38 PS at 3,400 RPM offered a top speed of 47 mph. Power was transmitted via a three-speed manual transmission to the rear wheels. The rigid axle suspends from semi-elliptic leaf springs. Rod linkages actuate four wheel mechanically controlled brakes. The car was built from 1926-1929, when it was reintroduced as the Type Stuttgart 200, and production continued until 1933. Customers could buy a bare chassis, 2 or 4 door sedans, cabriolets, touring cars, a sports model, delivery van or landaulet taxi.
The current owner executed a complete restoration. The effort revealed many years of incorrect work that required extensive body panel creation, along with restoration and re-creation of some wood frame members out of mahogany. This car features an automatic chassis lubrication system, automatic distributor advance and includes a throttle and mixture control on the steering wheel. It once served as a Taxicab, not an uncommon use at that time, and features 4 doors along with a divider window.