Sold for $887,000 at 2008 The Richard C. Paine Jr. Collection.Sold for $1,100,000 at 2013 Bonhams - Quail Lodge Auction. Tourabout
Chassis #: 7686
Engine # 10288
Karl Benz is given credit for the first series-produced internal combustion vehicle. Daimler and Maybach demonstrated the commercial viability of the automobile and continued to develop, refine and improve the products of Daimler Motoren gesellschaft.
Many concepts would follow including the first mass-produced four-cylinder engine and an inline eight-cylinder. These would consume Daimler's capital, forcing him to accept investors. They quickly clashed with Maybach who soon left. In less than a year even Daimler abandoned his company but the two were persuaded to return three years later. They were joined by Paul and Adolf Daimler, Gottlieb's son, who would later take over his responsibilities.
Maybach, who continued to be the innovator and designer, was largely responsible for the introduction of the Mercedes in 1901. In just a short period of time, Maybach introduced a re-designed series of Mercedes cars which were named Mercedes-Simplex. These new cars brought with them several improvements, primarily a much lighter engine and improved cooling which also reduced complexity and weight.
Five models were available, ranging from 18/22hp to a large 60HP. These cars were appealing to many wealthy individuals, even those located in the United States. These customers sought the largest, fastest, and most luxurious automobiles. American owners included Bernard Baruch, Henry Clay Frick, Isaac Guggenheim, Harry Payne Whitney, and Colonel John Jacob Astor, and William Kissam Vanderbilt.
By 1906 Mercedes had a showroom in Times Square where it was represented by the company's longtime agent, William Steinway of the piano-making family.
The Mercedes cars were built of the finest materials, though Maybach's designs were as lightweight as possible. Power was provided by a four-cylinder T-head engine with 4-speed manual transmission in unit with the differential on the cross-shaft to the double rear wheel drive chains. This Car
This example, car number 7686 with engine number 10288 was shipped from their German works and arrived with the U.S. Distributor in January 1910 as a complete rolling chassis ready for coachwork. The agent who received the car was William Steinway. Popular coachbuilders in the New York City area included Brewster, Holbrook, and Rothschild & Company.
The car is thought to have been bought by Scher on the East Coast in the late 1950s. It is possible that the car existed in that region of the country new. In 1958 and 1960, Dr. Scher advertised in The Antique Automobile
for a carburetor for a 1906/7 Mercedes 45 'must be original', so it seems likely that he restored this car in that era.
By the mid-1960s, the car was in show condition. Around this time, Dr. Scher concluded his multi-car sale to Richard C. Paine Jr. and was part of the deal on the 41 cars listing of that sale. The car remained in Paine's collection until his death in 2007 and was subsequently sold by Bonhams at their September 2008 Owls Head, Maine auction when it passed to the current owners. During this ownership, the car was displayed at the Casino in Baden-Baden in Germany alongside a Mercedes Factory SS Sports Tourer.
The car is finished in beige with a maroon undercarriage and body accent and highlighted by deep tufted leather upholstery and a beige cloth top. It has Gerhardt bullseye kerosene headlights, sidelamps and taillight, dual rear spares, leather covered top frame, blackwall tires and a brass trumpet horn. The four-cylinder T-head engine has a single carburetor and offers 45 horsepower. There is a chain drive, 4-speed manual transmission, and rear drum brakes.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2013
The car wears 'Double Roadster' coachwork. Healey & Co., one of the favored coachbuilders for Mercedes cars, was particularly fond of the double roadster style and built many bodies for Mercedes motor show display cars. The other prominent American sporting coach builders Quimby and Holbrook also produced numerous double roadster bodies. Thomas Flyer offered a double roadster as well as Simplex