Sold for $506,000 at 2014 RM Auctions - Automobiles of Arizona. Two years after the introduction of the DB5, Aston Martin introduced the DB6 in late 1965. In comparison to the DB5, the DB6 was more practical and offered more comfort, while still retaining the performance of the DB5. Aston Martin stretched the DB5 chassis by 3.75 inches and relocated the rear axle in order to create space for two rear seats. Even though it was longer, it was just 18 pounds heavier than the DB5.The DB6 was similar to its predecessor from the front. Moving rearward, it had a higher and more vertical windshield and a slightly raised roofline, which gave occupants increased headroom on the interior. In the back, the DB5's tail was replaced with a more modern Kamm-style one, which provided additional downforce at the rear while also helping to improve top speed over the DB5. There were other differences, with the most notable being redesigned seats, which are considered to be more supportive.In July of 1969, Aston Martin introduced its second iteration of the DB6, referred to as the MK 2. These models had slightly flared wheel arches, allowing for slightly larger wheels and tires that were fitted. The MK 2 A fuel-injection system that was engineered by AE Brico was an option for the first time on the DB6 MK 2. Production ended in November of 1970, and by that time, only 1,321 DB6s of all iterations had been produced.
This particular example was sold new in 1970, in its home market of the United Kingdom. There, it was converted to left-hand drive and installed with air conditioning by Post vintage Engineers Limited, in Otley, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, just before it was imported to Canada, under the custody of its current owner in 2005. After arriving in Canada, the car was stripped to bare aluminum to be fully restored and repainted in its original color of Moss Green. All of the chrome was either re-plated or replaced. The interior was completely refinished. Recently, the motor was meticulously rebuilt to 4.2-liter capacity. Since that time, it has only been driven test miles.
Sold for $700,000 at 2015 RM Sotheby's : Amelia Island. The Aston Martin DB6 arrived in late 1965, and it brought with it an improvement to comfort and practicality over the DB5. The chassis grew by 3.75 inches, and the rear axle was relocated in order to create additional cabin space for two rear seats. Even with these extensive changes, the DB6 only weighed 18 pounds more than the DB5.In the front, the Aston Martin DB6 had a similar design to the car it succeeded. Towards the back were numerous differences, starting with a higher and more vertical windshield and a slightly raised roofline, which allowed for additional interior headroom. Also in the back was a Kamm-style tail at the rear in an effort to provide additional downforce. Inside were several additional small changes, with the most notable being redesigned and more supportive rear seats. The Aston Martin DB6 was in production for four years before an updated version was released, the MK II. The updated version was given slightly flared wheel arches over the original DB6, which allowed for the larger wheels and tires. Aston Martin also offered AE Brico fuel injection for an option on the DB6 Mk II; the Weber carburetors remained as standard equipment. For customers seeking more, they could upgrade to Vantage specification. With a higher compression ratio, along with several other improvements, horsepower was raised from 282 brake horsepower to 325 brake horsepower.
This DB6 is a MKII example that was originally delivered to Canada. Allegedly, this is one of the final DB6s built. The car left the factory finished in Aluminum silver paint and trimmed in Dark Blue Connolly leather with a grey headliner. The car received several optional accessories, including front and rear seat belts, two wing mirrors, a pair of Lucas driving lights, and a Bosch New Yorker radio. Additionally, the car was given a rare factory Coolaire air conditioning system.
This car was purchased new by Oskar Rajsky, of My Lord Shirt Manufacturing Company. Mr. Rajsky collected the car from the factory directly and drove the car around Europe for a few weeks of vacation. The car was then shipped to Canada and delivered back to him through Performance Centre, of Toronto, Ontario, on May 15, 1970.The car has remained in Rajsky's care in the Toronto area and has never been given a restoration, except for just one repaint in its original color. The interior is completely original. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2015
Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin created the Aston Martin Company in 1913 for the sole purpose of racing. They built a car which sat atop an Isotta-Fraschini chassis. The name of the company was in honor to the Aston Clinton Hillclimb race combined with Lionel Martin's surname. After World War One they created their own cars which quickly gained a reputation for reliability and speed by setting many speed records. In 1924 the company was taken over by new ownership, which began a series of ownership changes for the company that lasted for many years.After World War Two, the company was in financial distress and production was slow to resume. David Brown purchased the company in 1947, also purchased the Lagonda automobile company. Though his financial support brought the company back into existence, it was his charismatic designs that are responsible for its longevity and success. The DB series, David Browns initials, first appearing in 1957 are some of the most memorable and skillfully crafted designs of all time. They offered superior handling and power than most of their competitors. The aluminum body panels of the DB4 were part of the reason they were given the 'supperleggera' name, meaning superlight. The DB6 was produced for a short period of time, lasting from 1965 through 1970 with only 1327 examples being created. They are the climax of David Brown's expression of a gentleman's ultimate touring motor car.
The DB6 was given styling cues from the DB4GT and DB5 but sat atop a chassis that had been extended by 3.75 inches to give extra room for the rear passengers. The DB5's followed the success of the DB4's and featured similar body work as the 2 door, 4 seater Saloon. Under the hood of the DB5 was a six-cylinder engine of 3995 cc displacement and capable of producing over 280 horsepower. The Vantage option increased the output rating to 314 bhp. Most of the DB5s featured a new ZF five-speed transmission. Unlike the DB4's, the DB5's were equipped with Electric windows and Selectaride type Armstrong Dampers. These were luxuries, but they also increased the weight of the vehicle and decreasing the overall performance. The zero-to-sixty time was 8.1 seconds with the top speed being in the neighborhood of 143 mph.
Instead of using a gracefully rounded DB5 tail, the DB6 now featured a rear spoiler. 1966 was the final year for Carrozzeria bodied Aston Martins. Instead of utilizing assembly lines, the Aston Martins were hand built. The specialized process of creating a vehicle took around 2900 man-hours, thus the low production figures. A 4 liter six-cylinder engine could be found under the hood. The Vantage option included three twin-choke Weber 45DCOE9 carburetors and produced 325 horsepower. Top speed was just under 150 mph while zero-to-sixty took just 6.2 seconds. A five speed manual gearbox was standard as was the limited slip differential. The vehicle was suspended by an independent front suspension with coil springs and shocks. Stopping power was provided by disc brakes located on all four wheels. The interior continued the appeal of sophistication with Connolly leather and Wilton wool seats. The DB6 was the final phase of evolution for the DB series. It is the pinnacle of style and performance and encompasses both form and function. The lightweight body, aggressive stance, potent engine, and perfectly tuned suspension continued the Aston Martin racing heritage without sacrificing care or comfort. It is the ultimate gentleman's sport car. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
Highlights include the first production Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback, the 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing steeped in Hollywood history, and the 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso last seen in 1978....
The 2015 Les Grandes Marques auction on 5 February at the Grand Palais in Paris will be the biggest to date, with around 130 motor cars on offer. The sale will be led by two fantastic vehicles from British...