1936 MG PBW
illiam Morris's Morris Garages in Longwall Street, Oxford, was the Oxford agent for his Morris cars. In 1921, Cecil Kimber joined the dealership as sales manager, and a year later was promoted to general manager. Kimber produced his own special versions of Morris cars as a way to stimulate sales. It is unclear when MG car production officially began, although the early cars were re-bodied Morris models that wore coachwork from Carbodies of Coventry. These early cars, known as 'Kimber Specials' wore both Morris and MG badges. Popularity and growth saw the 'MG' production move to several locations during the mid-to-late 1920s. By 1928, the company was producing vehicles in significant figures to warrant an identity separate from the original Morris Garages, and the M.G. Car Company was used from March of 1928.
From 1932 to 1934, MG produced the J-Type 2-door sports car powered by an overhead camshaft, crossflow engine, used in the Morris Minor and Wolseley 10. It had also be previous used in the MG M-Type Midget of 1929 to 1932, powering the rear wheels via a four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox. The suspension was sourced from the D-Type, with half-elliptic springs and Hartford friction shock absorbers in the front and back. It had an 86-inch wheelbase and most bodies were open two-seaters, with a few being a closed salonette version of the J1. Some chassis were given external coachwork by coachbuilders.
The MG P-Type was introduced in 1934 and produced until 1936. The early PA models were powered by a 847cc engine similar to the J-Types, but modified with a 3-bearing and improved crankshaft, and twin OM-model SU carburetors. The 36 horsepower was sent to the rear wheels through the same J-Type four-speed gearbox. It had a slightly longer and strengthened version of the J-Type chassis with half-elliptic springs and a Marles Weller steering system. A Bishop Cam system later replaced the Marles Weller setup.
Again, most of the P-Types were open two-seaters with a wheelbase that measures 87 inches. A few Airline coupes were also made, as well as a four-seater.
In 1935, the engine bore was enlarged from 57 to 60mm, resulting in a displacement size of 939cc. Horsepower rose to 43 bhp. In recognition of these changes, the MG PB was born and would remain in production until 1936 with 526 PB examples produced. The bodystyles were nearly identical to the MG PA, with most noticeable change being the radiator grille, with it changing from a honeycomb design to vertical slats. The dashboard of the MG PA and PB are also different.
Most of the 51 examples of the Airline Coupe bodies were built atop of the PA chassis, with fifteen being built on the PB chassis.by Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2020
Related Reading : MG PB History
The MG Model P was produced from 1934 though 1936, during that time 2499 examples were produced. It was built as a replacement for the Model J. Using the same 847 cc engine but with a new 3 bearing crank it was more refined that its Midget predecessor. It continued the basic look defined by the J type. It had a fold-flat windscreen and a wheel strapped to the back of the car. The fuel tank was....Continue Reading >>
Related Reading : MG PB History
From 1934 until 1936 the MG P-type was produced by the MG Car Company. The P-type was a two-door sports car powered by an updated version of the overhead camshaft, crossflow engine driven by a vertical generator connecting the crankcase to the camshaft, like the one in the 1928 Morris Minor and Wolseley 10. It drove the rear wheels through a four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox and thermo-syphon cooling.....Continue Reading >>
This is a rare example of a pre-war supercharged MG. It was used as a rally car in many European events through the 1950s. Later in the United States, it appeared at The Great Divide and Elkhart Lake, among other sports racing venues.....[continue reading]
This 1936 MG PB was purchased by the current owner in March of 2011 and has undergone a frame-up restoration. It is finished in the original Cambridge and Oxford blue. One of only 400 two-seater PBs produced, it is a matching numbers car and features....[continue reading]
The earliest MG sports car was the 1929 M type 'Midget'. The M type had an 847 cc four-cylinder overhead cam engine that produced 20 horsepower. The M type was replaced in turn by the C, D, and J Type Midgets all using the same basic two main bearing....[continue reading]