This 1929 Bugatti Type 40 Grand Sport Boat Tail has lived most of its life in Europe and Australia. It was restored in Belgium in 2009. It has toured the globe in many Bugatti World Rallies and has participated in most events in Europe.The current owner imported this car in 2013.Bugatti built their Type 40 from 1926 to 1930 and powered these vehicles with a 1.5-liter 3-valve inline four-cylinder that was first used on some of the later Type 37 models.
This is a matching numbers Type 40 Grand Sport that was sold new with a sport body. It was later upgraded to Grand Sport coachwork.
The original owner of this car was Neville Burkitt who purchased it at the Taylor Brothers Bugatti dealership in Sydney, Australia and then used it in RACA Reliability Trials. Bill Thompson later raced the car in RACA sanctioned speed trials. Jim Perry owned the car from 1939 to 1982. During that time, Mr. Perry club raced the car. In the 1940s, he installed a removable cylinder head cover.
Sold for $375,000 at 2016 The Finest : The Elegance at Hershey. This Bugatti was built in 1929 and would remain at the factory in Molsheim for the following seventeen months. Just prior to being sold, the chassis was upgraded by the factory to the Type 40A specifications by the addition of a 1625cc block with twin plugs per cylinder. The chassis was also clothed with Jean Bugatti Roadster Luxe bodywork with Dickey Seat. This Bugatti was sold new on June 19th of 1930 to Alistair Leveson-Gower. The new owner drove his Bugatti to Paris with the able assistance of Louis Chiron as co-driver.Little is known about this Bugatti's Parisian life. The car does have a Dominique Lumberjack tag attached to its body, so it was undoubtedly owned by him (the Parisian agent) at some point. It remained in France during the war. It came to the United States after the war and was later discovered in southern California. The car was purchased by Rudi Van Daalen Wetters on July 20, 1961. At that time, the car had the French license plate 69 JG 75, but it was subsequently registered in California as UBK 795.
After Rudi Van Daalen Wetters passed away in 1999, the Type 40A was inherited by Ria Van Daalen Wetters, his wife. She has continued to own the car until it was offered for sale in 2016 at The Finest auction at The Elegance of Hershey.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2016
The Bugatti Type 40 was powered by a four-cylinder engine that produced an impressive amount of horsepower, considering the vehicles size and weight. It was a detuned version of the engine found in the Type 37 and initially featured a splash lubrication system to its five-bearing crankshaft. Later, a full-pressure lubrication system would become standard. The engines had 12 valves, twin Weber carburetors, coil ignition and produced around 70 horsepower. In traditional Bugatti fashion, the cylinder block and head were in the form of a single casting. The three-valve heads had two inlets each and a single large exhaust valve. They was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox with center change. The suspension was comprised of a beam front axle on semi-elliptic springs, while in the rear was a live axle on reversed quarter-elliptic springs. Hartford-type friction shock absorbers were placed on all four corners, as were the drum brakes. The Type 40's were entry level vehicles that had low-cost construction methods making them reasonable to produce and purchase. The were introduced in 1926 and served as a replacement for the touring versions of the 16-valve Brescia range. The Type 38, introduced at the same time as the Type 40, was a replacement for the Type 30. The Type 37 with its 1500cc engine replaced the racing version of the Brescia.The standard bodystyle for the Type 40 was the four-seater coupe. When introduced, it used the wheelbase of the Type 23, which measured 2.55 meters. Bugatti created the rolling chassis and custom coachbuilders outfitted the vehicle with its bodywork.
Around 745 (some sources say as high as 900) examples of the Type 40 were produced, and 35 examples of the Type 40A constructed. The Type 40A had engines fitted from the Type 49.