Sold for $1,017,500 at 2014 RM Auctions at Monterey.
Luigi Chinetti was Ferrari's first continental importer to the United States. Along with brining these exotic vehicles to the US, he was also an accomplished racer during the Scuderia's formative years, and best appreciated for his North American Racing Team. The N.A.R.T. badge graced several desirable Ferrari sports cars of the 1960s and 1970s, resulting in period race winners. Many of these famous race cars wore a design orchestrated by Chinetti. Over a period of several decades, Luigi and his son Luigi 'Coco' Chinetti Jr., crafted a lineage of modified one-off, or limited-edition, Ferraris. Their most memorable creations were the ten 275 GTB/4 N.A.R.T. Spiders, one of which won at Sebring in 1967.
This particular car is chassis number 2235 GT which began its life as the 28th first-series 250 GT 2+2 created. It was given a long-wheelbase four-seat grand touring body and designated as a GTE model. It was given a green paint scheme with a black interior. Assembly was completed on January 13th of 1961 and subsequently sold to Luigi Chinetti Motors.
The car was intended for sale at a customer in Buenos Aires named Miguel Carcano, but it unclear if it was ever delivered to him. In 1964, it was damaged in a minor accident, and re-purposed by Chinetti and his son. It was shipped in 1965 to Italy for new coachwork in Coco's design and to be built by Carrozzeria Fantuzzi.
The new design called for a small-mouthed slant nose with covered headlamps and bumperettes, and GTO-style fender gills. The windscreen was raked and fitted with wind wings, and a hollow aluminum basket-handle roll-hoop in the style of Ferrari's 250 P race car.
The work was completed in the autumn of 1965. The car was finished in silver and shipped to San Francisco for the eighth annual Import Car Show at Brooks Hall in November. After its West Coast debut, it made an appearance at the Miami Auto Show and the New York International Automobile Show in April of 1966.
After its show appearances, the car was sent to Modena Sportscars where it was made road-legal and safe to race, which resulted in the addition of driving lights and the reinforcement of the basket-handle with a functional roll bar and cushioning. The engine was uprated to near-Testarossa specifications, which included the installation of six Weber carburetors and a racing camshaft. The gearbox was also converted to a five-speed unit.
Coco Chinetti used the car for several months before selling it to Michael Stone, of New York City, who is believed to have occasionally entered it in local events.
Phil Tegtmeier acquired the car in 1970, part owner of Kirk White Motorcars in Paoli, Pennsylvania. Soon after, the car was offered for sale, but the reserve of $10,000 was not met.
In 1971, Mr. Tegtmeier sold the Spider to Ed Osborne, of Cleveland, Ohio, who raced it once by Tegtmeier the following year, at a local track called Nelsons Ledge.
In 1974, David Berger, along with the resources of two additional enthusiasts under a consortium dubbed the 'Fantuzzi Partnership', purchased the car for $13,700. By this time, Tegtmeier had removed the car's bumperettes. Berger also removed the wind wings and then repainted the exterior in Rosso Chiaro in 1977. A short time later, the car was raced at venues such as Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Mount Equinox, and Sebring.
The car grazed the tire wall at Summit Point, West Virginia, when Berger spun the car during a passing move. There was minor damage, yet a full restoration soon began around 1980 and took eight years to complete. During that time, the gearbox was disassembled and rebuilt and the engine was cleaned and tuned. The body imperfections were reworked and refinished. The interior was re-upholstered in black leather.
After the work as completed, the car was shown by Mr. Berger and his friends at Ferrari Club events.
Eventually, one of the other members of the Fantuzzi partnership assumed principal care of the car. In 1995, the current owner had a professional rebuild of the engine performed on the car. In 1997, the car displayed 43,900 kilometers. Since that time, the car has accrued less than 5,000 miles.
In January of 2014, the car was shown at the XXIII Cavallino Classic, where it was awarded First Place in a Design Distinction class.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S
and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export
. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza
were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet
. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France'
(TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB
produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR
was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007