The Nash 600 was produced from 1940 through 1942, and began after World War II, from 1946 through 1949. It was priced as the entry-level Nash vehicle with the name '600' representing the number of miles the vehicle could travel on one tank of gasoline. The Nash 600 was also the first mass-produced unibody construction car built in the United States. In this guise, the car body and the frame are welded as one unit, instead of the traditional body-on-frame construction method.
Power was from a 172.6 cubic-inches L-head straight-six engine that offered just over 80 horsepower. The 600 had a three-speed manual gearbox with electric overdrive along with coil springs at all four corners.
Production resumed in the fall of 1945. These were similar to the models produced prior to War with the exception of revised chrome trim and a projecting center section on the lower grille. For 1946, the 600 the company offered an option that allowed the rear seat to be converted into a bed. For 1947, the front grille was widened and new raised center hubcaps were installed on the wheels. For 1948, the chrome molding located below the beltline was removed. The interior bore the work of Helene Rother, Nash's new interior stylist. Changes were made to the upholstery and trim colors that harmonized with specific exterior colors. A Business Coupe joined the lineup and was the lowest-priced model with minimal features, and was devoid of a rear seat.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2016
For 1949, Nash introduced its first new redesign in the Post War era. The design was based on the aerodynamic Airflyte series that was developed by Nils E. Wahlberg, Nash's Vice President of Engineering. The cars were six inches lower than the 1948s with a more rounded body with enclosed fenders.