In 1912 Fred Chandler left the Lozier Motor Works to start his own company. The Chandler motor car company made cars from 1913-1929 in Cleveland, Ohio. Ralph Mulford (famous race driver) drove a Chandler to an overall win in the 1925 Pikes Peak Hill Climb. By 1928 Chandler had over-expanded and was $475,000 in debt. In 1929 Hupmobile purchased the factory and the brand was discontinued. He switched over to making automotive fasteners & Chandler Products continues today in Cleveland.
There are only three
Special Six Dual Cowl Phaeton's known to exist. This car is loaded with Cowl lights, Trippe driving lights, Search light and backup lights. Most significantly it has one of Chandler's noted vacuum power assisted brake systems and a centralized lubrication system. The entire chassis can be lubricated with one lever.
This vehicle was built October 28th of 1927 as a 1928 model and was restored over 55 years ago. It is powered by a 180 cubic-inch straight-six engine offering 45 horsepower and mated to a three-speed manual transmission.
From its inception in 1913, the Chandler Motor Company produced an excellent car at a moderate cost. The company was founded in Cleveland, Ohio by Frederick C. Chandler, a former designer for Lozier Motor Company, a luxury automobile manufacturer. Únlike many of its competitors, Chandler cast its own engines, fabricated its own chassis, and later built its own bodies. Chanlder advertisements trumpeted record runs up Pike's Peak in Colorado, portraying the car as a strong performer.
Despite the quality and affordability of the Chandler, as well as ongoing advancements to the vehicle, competition stiffened throughout the 1920s. Chanlder was forced to merge wîth its Cleveland Automobile Company subsidiary to form the Chandler-Cleveland Motor Company. The Standard Six shown here is a product of that merger. It carried a long list of standard equipment and distinctive design features such as the duotone paint scheme and three-bar radiator shell.
1927 was a peak year for the company wîth sales of 20,000 automobiles, but hopes for continued growth of the market led to overexpansion. In 1928 the Hupp Motor Car Corporation of Detroit purchased a majority interest in Chandler, and the line was discontinued in 1929.Source - The Frick Car and Carriage Museum