The Chrysler Imperial LeBaron was among the most luxurious vehicles of the 1930s, with a chassis manufactured by Chrysler and bodies built by the coachbuilder LeBaron. In 1953, LeBaron was acquired by Chrysler along with its parent Briggs Manufacturing Company. The name 'LeBaron' has become synonymous with luxury, becoming its own model designation in 1957 through 1975, and is one of the longest-running nameplates in Chrysler history. The Chrysler LeBaron re-appeared in 1977 as a mid-sized vehicle and produced through 1995.
The third generation of the LeBaron was introduced in 1987, built on the J platform, and available as a convertible or coupe. The styling was modern and aerodynamic with a waterfall grille and similarly raked windshield, headlights hidden behind retractable metal covers, curved style rocker panels, and full-width taillight lenses.
Interior accouterments included full instrumentation with a trip and fuel economy computer.
The big news for the 1989 Chrysler LeBaron was the departure of the notchback sedan and station wagon from the model's lineup. The base engine was an overhead cam four-cylinder unit displacing 135 cubic-inches and offering 93 horsepower. Two turbocharged engines were offered, one with a 2.2-liter displacement and the other a 2.5-liter unit.
The 1989 LeBaron was available as either a coupe, convertible, or sedan in various trim levels. The high-performance GTC/GTS models came equipped with the more potent turbocharged engine as standard.
The LeBaron gained four-wheel disc brakes and a driver's airbag. Transmission options included a five-speed manual or three-speed TorqueFlite automatic.
This Third Generation of the LeBaron continued through 1995, receiving a slight facelift for the 1993 model year, including the removal of the hidden headlights and replaced by flush-mounted replaceable-bulb headlamps. Additional changes included amber rear turn signals introduced on the deluxe 1992 models, and new wheel styles became available. by Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2017
Related Reading : Chrysler LeBaron History
The LeBaron nameplate is one of the longest-running nameplates in Chrysler, if not in all automotive history. Manufactured more than six decades ago, the original bearer of the LeBaron name is the 1931 Chrysler Custom Imperial Eight. One of the numerous prominent coachbuilders that sprung up in the 1920s, LeBaron was founded in Bridgeport Connecticut in 1920 by Thomas L. Hubbard and Raymond Dietrich,.... Continue Reading >>
This Chrysler LeBaron is a one-owner car since new and has just 18,726 miles on its odometer. It has been well cared for and has been kept in a garage. The convertible top has been down only about four times.....[continue reading]
The 70th anniversary of the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance celebrated with a spectacular display of previous Best of Show winners. Thirty-seven examples graced the showfield and many were still with the same owners who raised the trophy...
September 22, 2015 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Six, Airflow, Imperial, New Yorker, 300 and Town %26 Country are just some of the nameplates that mark the rich history of the Chrysler brand.
2015 marks the 90th anniversary of Chrysler, which...
June 7, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio was recognized as the Best Small Convertible during the third annual Topless in Miami Convertible Awards on Thursday, June 6, by the Southern Automotive Media Association (SAMA)....
Lightweight materials, alternative fuels, extremely low fuel consumption - key words for the car of today. Yet, these were the very properties that formed the basis for the LCP 2000, Light Component Project. This was a concept car study aimed at the...
S Class the epitome of automobile comfort
Every generation of vehicles provides ground-breaking solutions to the expectations of customers with regard to comfort
The history of the Mercedes Benz S Class shows that automobile comfort is far more...
1989 Chrysler LeBaron Production Figures
Sport Sedan 5,436
224,097 total vehicles produced by Chrysler in 1989 The 1989 Chrysler LeBaron accounted for 43.0% of Chrysler's 224,097 production.