Claude M Cox's original Overland car was developed in the early 1900s by the Standard Wheel Company, of Terre Haut, Indiana. The Overland Company was formed in 1903 by Mr. Cox and Charles Minshall but it didn't take off until John North Willys arrived in 1907. Mr. Willys was a New York auto dealer and a major Overland customer. He ordered 500 Overlands and paid a deposit of $10,000. After his product was not delivered, he traveled to Indian only to find Overland on the point of closure. Wanting to re-coup his investment, Willys secured additional credit and re-organized the company. By mid-1908 they were in a position to build a new factory. Production increased and by 1909 the company had moved to Toledo, Ohio. Willys eventually became president of the company.
From 1910 to 1914, the company produced only four-cylinder models and they were all right hand drive. (The company began using left hand drive in 1915).
Overland built a quality automobile that was advanced for its time. The early models had a removable ignition plug that prevent auto theft. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2017