To create a racing pedigree for the marque, Donald Healey built four lightweight Nash-Healeys for endurance racing. Like many road cars, they had Nash Ambassador engines and drivelines. However, fitting higher compression aluminum cylinder heads, spe....[continue reading]
In 1949 Donald Healey and George Mason had a chance meeting on an ocean liner. Healey was in the business of designing and producing sports cars while Mason was the president of Nash-Kelvinator. Their conversation led to sports car and resulted in an agreement that the Nash Company would provide engines for a new Healey sports car. In 1950, production began on this Nash-Healey alliance. In 1951, the Nash-Healey was debuted at the Chicago Auto Show. It was a sporty vehicle with amenities such as leather upholstery and adjustable steering wheel. A three-speed manual transmission with overdrive was coupled to the powerful Nash engine. The front suspension was comprised of a Healey trailing link with coil springs and anti-roll bar, attached to a ladder-type steel frame. The rear suspension was a rigid axle with coil springs and track bar. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners.