1907 Franklin Model GH
erbert Henry Franklin was introduced John Wilkinson, a Cornell-educated engineer, and became fascinated with an automobile that Wilkinson had built. By 1902, the Franklin Company was formed in Syracuse, New York and would remain in production until 1934. The company is often remembered for its air-cooled engines. Wilkinson preferred this setup as it kept weight to a minimum. Other weight saving measures were employed, including using the lightest suspension components available, like tubular axles and flexible, full-elliptic springs. The bodies were formed from aluminum and rested on laminated ash frames.
Franklin produced 13 vehicles in 1902, growing to 224 a year later. By 1905, approximately 1,500 vehicles were built that year. The early Franklins were runabout powered by a four-cylinder overhead valve engines mounted transversely and backed by a two-speed planetary transmission. Wooden artillery wheels replaced the original wire wheels in 1903. A 'barrel-front' hood was adopted in 1904, with a simple screen at the front which allowed cooling air to reach the engine. Renault-style 'scuttle' hoods were later adopted, and still later, a 'horse-collar' grille.
The 1907 Franklin Model G was offered as a runabout or a 4-passenger tourer. The wheelbase measured 90-inches and the four-cylinder engine offered 12 horsepower. Other 1907 Franklin models included the 20 horsepower Model D and the six-cylinder, 30 horsepower Model H. The Model G sold for around $1,800 while the top-of-the-line Model G was priced at $4,000 for the 7-passenger tourer or the runabout, and $5,200 for the Limousine. 1907 was the company's best sales year to date, with approximately 2,400 examples sold. This would be their best sales year until 1915, when over 3,000 Franklins were built.by Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2020
Related Reading : Franklin Model G History
The H.H. Franklin Manufacturing Company built the most successful American direct air-cooled cars from 1902 to 1934. John Wilkinson was the engineer who built the first Franklin car and whose design principles combining high quality with light weight gave Franklin their distinct reputation for dependability and long life. All Franklins utilized air-cooled engines and double elliptical springs on all....Continue Reading >>
Chassis Num: G3358
This Franklin Model G 'barrel-front' Tourer was acquired from the Imperial Palace Collection in 1998. Previous owners have included Jim Thomas of Miami, Florida. It has been given a 1,600 hour-plus restoration, and was finished in deep blue with a wh....[continue reading]