Packard's famous advertising slogan, 'Ask The Man Who Owns One', originated in 1901 and from the first models in 1899, were a leading luxury car maker. They enjoyed a prestigious reputation for very high quality, reliable luxury cars right on up to World War II. Then the factories were converted to wartime military production, primarily making engines, and most notably over 55,000 Rolls-Royce Merlin aircraft engines. By 1928, Packard sold 55,718 cars, outselling all other luxury cars and beating the next volume leader, Cadillac, by 3 to 1.
In 1911 Packard offered two models, the Model 18 and Model 30. The Model 30 was the larger of the two with a 123.5 inch wheelbase and a large 432 cubic-inch 4-cylinder engine producing 40 horsepower. The 1865 Model 30s were built in 1911 and this is one of only 12 known to exist today. Both the Model 18 and Model 30 are highly regarded by collectors today.
This 1911 Packard was a barn find in January of 2007 in Greenwich, CT. The 1911 production of the Model 30 was 1,865 of which, only 12 are known to exist. This car was originally purchased by Jacob Ruppert of New York City, owner of Ruppert Brewery and owner of the New York Yankees.
The current owner is the third owner. Restoration began in August 2007 and was completed in June of 2011 by Robinson Restorations, noted Packard experts of Schwenksville, PA.
James Ward Packard purchased his first automobile in 1898. The car had been produced by a Cleveland based company headed by Alexander Winton. The car proved to be a disaster causing Packard to voice his opinions about the vehicle. Winton responded [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
High bid of $130,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. (did not sell) Sold for $137,500 at 2016 RM Auctions. The Packard Model 30 was in production from 1907 through 1912. They were powered by a 431.9 cubic-inch T-head four-cylinder engine offering 30 horsepower at 650 RPM. The power produced by the engine is where the name of the Packard 30 is derived. The [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
Packard first introduced its Model 30 in August of 1906. The company claimed that the car had undergone more than 50,000 test miles before being introduced to the public. The test car was nicknamed 'Gasoline Gus' and in one test, Gus covered 606 mile [Read More...]
The first owner of this car was considered to be James Ward Packard. The car was shown with the Packard Family cars at the National Packard Museum in 2004. The current owners purchased this car in 1982 and were married in the car. [Read More...]
The slogan 'Ask The Man Who Owns One' is one of the most famous in American History. It was the response given to most individuals when asked about a Packard. They were reliable, elegant, powerful, and quality automobiles. Their attention to detail and ingenuity were some of the key factors in making the company successful.
The Packard legend begins in 1898 when James Ward Packard, a mechanical engineer, purchased a Winton. The Winton automobiles were good automobiles but the one that Packard had purchased had many flaws and broke down on its first road trip. Packard returned the vehicle to Winton and voiced his displeasure. Winton challenged Packard to build a better product. James and his brother William Dowd Packard began immediately on building a vehicle. A year later their first car, a one-cylinder, was introduced. They built four more cars that year, and the following year, in 1900, they produced 47 of a Model B under the name New York and Ohio Company, a subsidiary of the brothers' Packard Electric Company, manufacturers of transformers and electric lighting equipment. The cars were simple yet durable. They featured a single-cylinder engine mounted under the seat and attached to a two-speed planetary transmission and chain drive.
On September 10th of 1900 the Ohio Automobile Company, based in Warren, Ohio, was formed. In 1903 the name was changed to the Packard Motor Car Company when it moved from Warren, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan. The move was the result of a majority stock purchase made by investors in the Detroit area.
In 1907 Packard introduced their Model 30 which would remain in production until the early 1910s. It was called the Model 30 because of its 30 horsepower engine. By T-head four-cylinder unit displaced 431.9 cubic-inches and powered the rear wheels via a three-speed manual transmission mounted in the rear.
The Model 30 was a very important car for Packard and was a top seller for many years, even after it was joined by a smaller Model 18 in 1909.
In 1908 Packard extended and enlarged the wheelbase and fitted them with 36-inch wheels. The results of this revised Model 30 was designated UA. There were additional body styles such as a close-coupled tourer and a victoria, and windshields were optional equipment. Packard made another bold claim in 1909 by touting this Model 30 UB as 'The Masterpiece of the Largest Exclusive Motor Car Factory in the World.' The claims were justified as Packard was the largest exclusive motor car factory in the world with its floor-space that extended 14 acres and their payroll had 3,200 employees.
In 1909 founder James Ward Packard's presidency was passed on the Henry Joy.
In 1910 the Model 30 UC was introduced. The list of new bodystyles included a phaeton, and a four-passenger tourer. Mechanical improvements included a dry ply clutch which replaced the expansion ring unit.
In 1911 the succession continued with the Model 30-UD. A coupe and a brougham were new body styles, replacing the landaulet and demi-limousine. The six-cylinder cars was the big news for the year with production models designated as 1912.
The final year of the Model 30 saw significant changes. The wheelbase was lengthened providing even more luxurious accommodations for its passengers. Side curtains were now standard. The ride and handling was enhanced with improved shock absorbers. In the front were 37 x 5 tires and 36x4.5 in the rear. A spare tire of each size could be found on the right running board. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The Packard Motor Company displayed their first motor carriage in 1900, at first New York City auto show. Three years later, the Packard's had improved significantly and their reliability was greatly increased. A 1902 Model F fitted with a Packard single-cylinder 12 horsepower engine and automatic ignition advance made the transcontinental trip from San Francisco to New York in 53 days.
In 1907, Packard introduced their first model to have its name indicate its engine power. It was the Model 30. The Packard Model 30 was powered by a newly-designed T-head four-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 40 horsepower under the ALAM system. The engine had a 5-inch bore and a long 5.5-inch stroke. It displaced 432 cubic-inches and was advertised as making 30 brake horsepower.
The new engine was designed to carry the long, large, and heavy coach-bodys which were become more popular with the wealthy. The engine, itself, required a longer wheelbase chassis to accommodate its size. The drive was through an unusual expanding band clutch with a three-speed transmission to a live rear axle. This setup was in favor of the prior configuration of transverse leaf springs which had been abandoned the previous year with the Model S. Now, the front and rear was given semi-elliptical leaf springs. Redundant braking on the rear wheels was provided by both expanding shoe and contracting band brakes.
During its introductory year, over 1,300 examples were sold. It was an immediate success for the Packard Company. It was a very versatile vehicle, offered in two-wheelbase sizes and several body styles to accommodate a diverse clientele. The Touring, Limousine, and Landaulette coachwork rode on a 122-inch wheelbase while the Sporting Runabout and Gentleman's Roadster rode atop a shorter 108-inch wheelbase. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2008
Coker Tire-equipped classics took home Best of Show and 15 Best in Class wins out of 26 classes, with 77 out of the 110 cars in pre-war classes riding on Coker Tires, at the prestigious Pebble Beach...
There are times to spectate and there are times to roll up ones sleeves and participate. At the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion this year, both options brought abundant joy, as more than 550 authentic...