Packard entered The Great Depression head on, offering even more luxurious and expensive cars than they had done prior to the close of 1929. In 1932, they introduced their Twin Six which kept this name for a year before becoming the Packard Twelve. The Packard Twelve was their flagship vehicle. Its twelve cylinder engine was powerful and capable of gracefully carrying the elegant coachwork which carried the passengers. To appeal to the segment below this, Packard offered a medium-priced car called the Light Eight. It was produced for only one year, 1932. The selling price ranged from $1795 to $1940. Power was from the L-head, inline-eight, iron block, aluminum crankcase, rated at 319 cubic-inches, generating 110 horsepower. The car sat atop a 195 inch wheelbase.
In comparison to other marque's at this time, Packard had a strong cash position. Large companies such as Cadillac were able to pass through this rough time in history with the support of the GM brand. Lincoln had the luxury on relying on the Ford brand. Other companies in Packard's position, such as Ruxton, Marmon, Franklin, Pierce-Arrow, Duesenberg and Stutz were not as lucky, and were forced to cease production by 1938.
Packard kept its costs down by offering a single production line with inter-changeability between these models. Instead of introducing new models ever year, they persisted for many years. Another tactic was offering low-cost vehicles. Their Packard 120, introduced in 1935, was the companies first vehicle to be offered for sale for less than one-thousand dollars.
Packard's eight-cylinder, 320 cubic-inch engine produced 120 horsepower. Standard features on the Eight Series included automatic Bijur chassis lubrication system, fender lamps, dual trumpet horns mounted under the headlights, and a fully synchromesh three-speed quick shift transmission. Available options included: front and/or rear bumpers, Dual sidemount spare tires, sidemount covers, clock and cigar lighter.
This 1932 Packard 904 Convertible Victoria has coachwork by Dietrich. It sits atop a 148-inch wheelbase and has a 'V'-shaped windshield. There are two doors, a rear storage trunk, and a covered, side-mounted spare tire. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
With custom designed coachwork by Dietrich Incorporated of Detroit, Michigan, this Packard is considered one of the most stylish automobiles of the Classic Era and is particularly noted for its rakish chrome framed windshield design. This Packard is [Read More...]
Henry Leland founded the Cadillac Motor Car Company in 1903 from the remains of Henry Ford's second failed attempt to start an auto company. In 1917, Leland found the Lincoln Motor Company and built a high caliber automobile that was very well-built, [Read More...]
This rarely seen Packard Dietrich body style combined roadster style with a convertible coupe for all-season comfort. The body is mounted on the venerable Packard Eight De Luxe chassis, powered by Packard's 385 cubic-inch straight-eight engine, a pro [Read More...]
This Dietrich-bodied Packard is one of only four 90 Deluxe Eight Dietrich Convertible Victoria models produced in 1932. For the past 50 years, it has resided in some of the finest car collections ever assembled. [Read More...]
This is one of two 1932 Stationary Coupes by Dietrich known to survive, and it has been in the possession of its current owner for forty years. The Model 904 was offered in five custom bodies including a Convertible Coupe, Sport Phaeton, Convertible [Read More...]
Packard was the leading luxury automobile marque at the start of the Classic era. It was one of the oldest car companies in America, with the first Packard being built in 1899. The company began life as the Ohio Automobile Company based in Warren, Oh [Read More...]
In 1932 the Packard Standard eight engine was updated with a redesigned manifold and fan. The compression ratio was increased to 6.0:1 and now produced 100 horsepower. A redesigned air cleanser improved both noise and vibration, and the fitting of new rubber engine mounts was accomplished by the driveshaft being jointed and rubber mounted. Both the components and the lengthened chassis were redesigned.
Created out of economic necessity, the Packard Light Eight was introduced in early 1932 and was the first newly designed Packard since 1923. It was also the first medium-priced Packard that was intended to sell in higher volume to help consumers in the luxury market ride out the Depression. Built with the same meticulous care as any Packard, the Light Eight sold for $500-$850 less than the Standard Eight.
Unfortunately though, despite its 'Light' name, the Light Eight used the same 320-cubic-inch engine that was in the Standard Eight, though it rode the shortest wheelbase, 127.5 inches. The Light Eight was sold in coupe roadster and sedan, four-door sedan, and rumble seat coupe.
All new Packard models for the 1949 model year featured a 'flow through fender'. The Packard station wagon was considered by many to be one of the most stylish wagons of the time period. For 1949 the Packard Standard Eight featured a fold down rear seat that made the vehicle quickly transform the station wagon from a functional utility vehicle into a passenger car.
The Packard Straight Eight was equipped with a three-speed manual transmission and was capable of producing 135 horsepower. Both the driver and the passengers enjoyed the bump-free smooth ride in the Standard Eight.
Between 1948 and 1950 only 3,865 Packard Station Sedans were ever produced. Today this vehicle is an extremely collectible piece of the Packard Motor Car Company legacy.
The 1950 Packard Standard Eight featured avante-garde styling along with strong, sturdy vertical wooden slats on the doors. The ‘woodie wagon' was formed by taking a six passenger sedan from the assembly line, then changing the roofline and trunk lid. Briggs Manufacturing Company transformed the once sedan into a complete station wagon. The Packard Standard Eight featured 288 cubic inch straight eight.By Jessica Donaldson
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours dElegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top...