Image credits: © Honda.
2005 Honda Legend news, pictures, and information
· The engine delivers outstanding performance. Maximum output is 221kW (300PS) at 6,200rpm; maximum torque is 353N-m (36.0kg-m) at 5,000rpm. And yet it is more compact than the previous engine: 36mm narrower and 61mm shorter. Magnesium cylinder head covers and a two-piece aluminum die-cast intake manifold help make the engine lighter as well.
· The Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport has certified the new Legend as an Últra Low Emissions Vehicle. Its emission levels are 75% lower than those required by 2005 standards. ( posted on conceptcarz.com)
· The fully dual exhaust system splits into two pipes immediately after the under-floor catalytic converter. Independent exhaust pre-chambers have also been added to achieve significant flow enhancement while contributing to quieter operation. The variable-flow mufflers combine quiet operation at low rpm’s wîth powerful output at high rpm’s.
· DBW (Drive By Wire) electronic throttle control optimizes throttle characteristics in accordance wîth vehicle speed, providing the driver greater control. An organ pedal integrated wîth the DBW provides a linear pedal feel by positioning the pedal fulcrum close to the heel of the foot.
Electronically controlled 5-speed Sequential SportShift automatic transmission
· A more compact 5-speed automatic transmission takes full advantage of the engine’s superior performance. Gear ratios have been set to deliver responsive off-the-line and acceleration performance, as well as economical cruising. Shift control is smooth and faithful to the driver’s intent, wîth minimal gear change shock.· Honda’s Prosmatic transmission control technology, which provides intelligent shift control in response to driving conditions, has further evolved, wîth a new shift hold control that reduces unnecessary gear changes.
· Complementing the Sequential SportShift automatic transmission, the gun-grip shift knob provides easier gear changes and a sporty image. The new Legend is also equipped wîth paddle shifters that allow the driver to enjoy a more sporty, manual transmission feel, changing gears without taking hands off the §teering wheel.
SH-AWD Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system
· A world’s first, the SH-AWD system combines front-rear torque distribution control wîth independently regulated torque distribution to the left and right rear wheels to freely distribute the optimum amount of torque to all four wheels in accordance wîth driving conditions. Front-rear torque distribution varies between ratios of 30:70 and 70:30, and lateral torque distribution in the rear wheels varies between ratios of 100:0 and 0:100. Torque is used not only for propulsion, but for cornering as well, resulting in a significant enhancement in vehicle maneuverability.
· The system’s torque control logic operates primarily on active feed-forward control based on driver input. This is combined wîth feedback control based on vehicle behavior to achieve highly precise control that respects the driver’s intent.CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) propeller shaft
· The propeller shaft transmitting torque to the rear wheels is made of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) for reduced weight.
Chassis and body
The newly developed chassis combines outstanding levels of driving performance wîth a luxurious ride.· The front double-wishbone suspension provides outstanding straight-line stability and ride comfort. · The rear multi-link suspension, composed of an upper arm, two lower arms, and a control arm, combines stability wîth superior comfort. · Large-diameter front ventilated disc brakes are combined wîth large-diameter rear ventilated drum-in-disc brakes. To save weight, both the front and rear calipers are made of aluminum, wîth high-rigidity, opposing 4-pod calipers used in the front. · The body has been made approximately 33% more rigid overall compared to the previous model, wîth approximately 34% higher bending rigidity and 30% higher torsional rigidity. Front-rear rigidity balance has also been enhanced and welds strengthened throughout to achieve higher rigidity. · Front-rear lift balance has been optimized, wîth lightweight aerodynamic parts employed on the vehicle’s underside. A flush surface design has been applied throughout, including elimination of level differences around the side windows and repositioning and reshaping of the wiper blades, to achieve a Cd value of 0.29*. * According to Honda in-house measurement Weight Reduction Technologies
Since strong, lightweight, high-tensile steel is used in some 50% of the body frame’s main structural components, the body is approximately 19kg lighter than if conventional materials were used.· The sub-frame employs a hybrid construction. Members formed from aluminum pipe using an innovative blow molding process are welded to cast members to achieve significant gains in both lightness and rigidity. This saves approximately 19kg in weight compared to the use of cast members. · The lower arms in the front and rear suspensions and the front and rear bumper beams are made of aluminum wîth a new manufacturing process which helps save weight and increase rigidity. · The hood, front fenders, and trunk lid are made of aluminum using high-speed blow molding that enables one-piece molding of complex shapes, wîth approximately ten times the stretching capacity of conventional presses.· Higher engine output and various weight reduction measures combine to significantly improve the new Legend’s power-to-weight ratio, for outstanding acceleration performance. As compared to the previous model’s 7.86 kg/PS, the new Legend achieves an impressive 5.87kg/PS. Quietness
· Fluid-filled mounts are used for the engine and transmission mounts, and the front and rear engine mounts are electronically controlled. Further, the front sub-frame is supported by a floating bracket wîth the engine mounts attached to it using a double anti-vibration mechanism to more effectively absorb engine vibration.· Noise reduction technologies such as Active Noise Control, which sends an opposite phase signal through the car’s audio system to cancel out engine hum to ensure a quiet ride. The target frequency is identified based on engine speed, and microphones mounted in the front and rear roof monitor conditions. Sound is emitted from the car’s audio system as required to cancel out noise and reduce engine hum. · Lightweight, high-performance sound-absorbing materials are employed in the carpet, dashboard insulator, roof lining, and trunk compartment lining. Lightweight sound absorbing materials are used wherever possible, resulting in quieter operation wîth only one-third the weight of conventional materials. Styling
Exterior design built on the concept of concentrated excitement
· The sleek exterior design was created to give expression to the power within. Naturally flowing surfaces offset by powerful, sharp lines deliver outstanding aerodynamic performance while presenting an attractive, windswept form.· The front view’s low, wide stance and intrepid look express an overwhelming sense of speed. · The dynamic side view presents a wedge-shaped design from the low-slung front nose, through the forward-positioned cabin, to the short-cut rear deck, brought powerfully together by character lines that sweep from below the side windows all the way back to the tail lights. The side windows are designed wîth the guides attached to the glass, eliminating level differences between the glass and the pillar garnish to create a flush surface. · The body’s wide stance combined wîth wide tires and twin mufflers provides a sporty flare, while the deep curve of the trunk lid and LED rear combination lights add a touch of elegance. Interior design based on the concept of "esensuous functionality"
· The interior is designed to appeal to the senses by imparting a feel of luxury and driving pleasure throughout.· The natural wood of the instrument panel curves around to the left and right doors, combining wîth the center panel to form an ‘M’ shape that suggests breadth and fluid power, while ensuring ample leg room on both sides. · The instrument panel features three-dimensional, self-illuminating gauges, backed by blue-gradation dials that are illuminated by indirect-illumination LED. · The multi-functional display beneath the speedometer provides the driver wîth a range of information, including fuel consumption, average vehicle speed, and other driving details, including the operating status of the SH-AWD system. · Blue illumination from a series of small lamps imparts an elegant touch to the interior. Últra-high-gloss exterior finish for deep contrast and a spectacular shine
· Conventional single clear-coat finishes involve a prep coat applied using electrodeposition, followed by a first intermediate coat, a second intermediate coat, a base coat, and a clear coat. The new Legend goes beyond this standard and has an ultra-high-gloss exterior finish. Specialists painstakingly water-polish the surface after the intermediate coats are applied to make it smooth, then apply two coats of clear finish. Increasing the thickness of the clear coats creates a deep contrast that shows off all six body colors beautifully.Genuine wood paneling made by TENDO CO., LTD. imparts the high-quality feel unique to natural wood (Exclusive Package)
· The genuine wood paneling in the instrument panel is made from curly maple wîth its distinctive furrowed pattern. Changing its expression wîth each viewing angle, the paneling offers beauty that only natural wood can provide.
Packaging and Interior
Each mechanism has been made lighter and more compact and precisely laid out wîth consideration for balance and weight distribution. The ultra-high-density packaging maximizes dynamic performance while securing ample interior space.· The engine is more compact and transversely mounted, allowing the overall vehicle length to be shortened by 65mm and the wheelbase by 110mm, while interior length is increased by 30mm. Overall width is increased by 25mm, while the interior is 40mm wider. Cabin height is also increased by 20mm, despite the adoption of SH-AWD. These new dimensions create a short, wide stance ideal for nimble driving, while also providing a more spacious cabin. · The seats, which offer greatly improved vibration absorption, are shaped to invite occupants to sink back naturally; they wrap around the back to hold the person securely. A thick layer of urethane beneath the seat covers adds softness, combining seating comfort wîth a firm hold. Both the driver and front passenger seats are equipped wîth 10-way power adjustment, while magnesium seat frames contribute to weight reduction. · The 10-way adjustable seats wîth Schukra electric power lumbar support and power telescopic tilt §teering wheel mechanism ensure the optimum driving position for each driver’s physique and help reduce driver fatigue. · Seat, §teering wheel, and side mirror positions can be stored in the memory in each of two Honda Smart Card keys. · To enhance the driver’s rearward visibility, a switch located in the ceiling over the driver’s head can be operated from the driver’s seat to fold down the three rear power headrests when there are no passengers in the back seats. · The power trunk lid*1 features automatic opening and closing. Anyone carrying the Smart Card key can auto-open the trunk lid using a switch on its exterior, or auto-close it using an interior switch. The trunk lid can also be operated using the driver’s seatswitch or the Smart Card. · The intelligent dual fully automatic air conditioner provides independent left, right, upper and lower temperature control for both the driver and front passenger seats. Also, a GPS-regulated sunlight angle control function determines the direction and intensity of the sun’s rays and automatically adjusts left-right temperature and air flow. · The trunk compartment has a 452-liter*2 capacity. Features including a trunk lid lining and smaller trunk hinges that prevent damage to luggage and enhance the trunk’s appearance and convenience. *1 Available wîth the Exclusive Package
*2 Honda in-house measurements according to VDA formulaAdvanced Functions
HiDS*1 (Honda Intelligent Driver Support System) provides driver support during highway driving (Exclusive Package)
· LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) recognizes the vehicle lane using the images from a C-MOS camera mounted inside the upper front windshield, and applies the appropriate input to the EPS (Electric Power Steering)*2 to help keep the car in its lane.IHCC (Intelligent Highway Cruise Control)*3 uses information from a millimeter-wave radar mounted inside the front grill to measure the distance to the vehicle ahead, while vehicle speed and yaw rate sensors detect the vehicle’s driving parameters. In addition to maintaining a set speed, this cruise control system is also able to automatically regulate vehicle speed and distance relative to a vehicle ahead traveling in the same lane.In combination, these two systems reduce the burden of freeway driving, enhancing driver comfort and safety. *1 HiDS is available wîth the Advanced HI Package
*2 HiDS-equipped vehicle (non HiDS-equipped vehicles come wîth electronically controlled, vehicle-speed-sensitive hydraulic power §teering)
*3 IHCC is available wîth the Advanced Package
Honda HDD Inter Navi System + Progressive Commander
· The 8-inch-wide display is positioned for easy visibility to minimize the need for the driver to shift his or her line of sight. The many functions made possible thanks to the ample information storage and retrieval capabilities of the system’s high-capacity (20GB) HDD can be accessed via the Progressive Commander, located within easy reach of the driver’s seat.
The Legend’s custom audio system was developed in a collaboration wîth BOSE that began at the chassis design stage. The system consists of a 260W amplifier combined wîth ten speakers precisely positioned based on a thorough analysis of the vehicle’s spatial characteristics. It utilizes 5.1-channel surround sound to create a three-dimensional sound environment wîth a concert hall-like ambiance, delivering high-fidelity sound to all seating positions.· The Honda Smart Card Key, which enables the owner to more conveniently lock and unlock the doors and operate the ignition, has further evolved. In addition to its existing functions, it now comes equipped wîth a personalization setting that stores individualized settings for the vehicle’s electronically controlled equipment. Further, an emergency ignition function has been added: even if the Smart Card Key’s battery is dead, the driver can start the car by placing the Smart Card Key in a dedicated slot. · A power rear sun shade* increases comfort for backseat occupants by blocking out intense sunlight. The rear sun shade can be raised or lowered using a switch located in the ceiling over the driver’s head, and lowers automatically when the shift lever is put in reverse. · The left and right rear doors are also equipped wîth manually operated sun shades* that can be drawn from below the windows and hooked in place above the tops of the windows. * Available wîth the Exclusive Package Source - Honda Media
|ACURA NSX PRODUCTION SITE SELECTED IN OHIO|
|05/14/2013 - MARYSVILLE, Ohio Acura today announced that the all-new NSX supercar will be produced at a new Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, a $70 million advanced production facility encompassing 184,000 square feet to be housed inside Honda's former North American Logistics facility and located in the midst of Honda's existing R&D and production engineering operations. The site for the new production facility, which will be Honda's third auto plant in Ohio, is only a few mi...[Read more...]|
|FORD LAUNCHES NEW FUEL-EFFICIENT 1.5-LITER ECOBOOST ENGINE; BOOSTS COMPANY'S GLOBAL ECOBOOST CAPACITY|
|-Ford announces new fuel-efficient 1.5-liter EcoBoost® engine, extends successful EcoBoost lineup to meet global demand for four-cylinder EcoBoost engines -Ford now has capacity to build 1.6 million EcoBoost engines annually, triples number of plants that produce EcoBoost engines in Europe, Asia and North America from 2010 to 2013 -1.5-liter EcoBoost offers trademark EcoBoost turbocharging, direct fuel injection and variable valve timing; delivers power of a larger engine with smaller unit ec...[Read more...]|
|HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA POSTS ALL-TIME FULL YEAR SALES RECORD|
|•Best December ever •Sonata and Elantra both finish in the Top 10 in car retail sales •Sonata and Elantra both top 200K in sales •Sonata, Elantra, Veloster, Genesis, Equus have best-ever sales years COSTA MESA, Calif., Jan. 3, 2013 - Hyundai Motor America today announced record sales of 59,435 vehicles in December, a 17 percent total sales increase and three percent retail sales increase compared with the same record-setting period a year ago. For the year, Hyundai sales wer...[Read more...]|
|FORD POLICE INTERCEPTORS SWEEP THE COMPETITION IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT TESTING|
|•Ford Police Interceptor sedan and utility vehicle topped the competition in series of annual performance tests conducted by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD) •Following their successful performance in Michigan State Police testing last month, the Ford Police Interceptors consistently demonstrated their class-leading performance •Ford has more than 15 years of leadership in the police car business and is the first and only manufacturer to offer pursuit-rated all-wheel-driv...[Read more...]|
|2013 KIA SOUL WINS ACTIVE LIFESTYLE VEHICLE OF THE YEAR AWARD IN URBAN CATEGORY|
|•Hip Hatchback Earns Praise for Its Roomy Interior and Cargo Space •With 19 cubic feet of cargo space, 14 storage zones and fold down seats, the Soul can accommodate mountain bikes, snowboarding gear and other outdoor necessities •The Soul's fun-to-drive factor and signature style make it the perfect ride to take to the mountains, desert or the beach IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 24, 2012 - The 2013 Kia Soul, Kia Motors America's (KMA's) wildly popular hip hatchback, has been named the Act...[Read more...]|
|Other models by Honda|
© 1998-2012. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.