1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB news, pictures, specifications, and information
Sold for $8,140,000 at 2013 RM Auctions
1960 Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta ‘Competizione' by Carrozzeria Scaglietti
Anchored by a lighter-weight aluminum alloy body and highly-tuned Colombo V12 engines, the Ferrari 250 GT SWB would earn an exceptional reputation on the track earning victories in the Tour de France from 1960 to 1962, as well as, victories in the RAC Tourist Trophy classic races at Goodwood between 1960 and 1961. The car would be so good that it would lead Stirling Moss to declare, 'it was quite difficult to fault, in fact.'
One of these faultless 250GT SWB Berlinetta 'Competizione' by Ferrari would become available for sale in the 2013 RM Auctions in Scottsdale, Arizona. This particular example, chassis number 1905GT, would be just the 17th example of the berlinettas to be built.
The Ferrari 250 GT SWB was considered one of the most desirable performance sportscars for the street at the time. However, the 'Competizione' models, the ones specifically tuned for the track were something else entirely. Boasting of 280bhp, a four-speed manual gearbox and an alloy aluminum body fitted over a chassis with tweaked suspension, the 250GT SWB Berlinetta 'Competizione' took performance, both in acceleration, braking and handling, to a whole new level. In addition, the Scaglietti made for one aggressive, and yet, beautiful car in which to lap the competition.
This particular chassis, according to most historians and enthusiasts, is among the best documented of all the SWB examples. Accordingly, it is noted with authority that the car's Colombo engine had been completed on May 18th, 1960 and was fitted to the chassis on the 21st of May. Additionally, it is noted the car's engine was completed with three Weber 40 DCL 6 carburetors with short trombette horns. The reason for this detail is that it indicates the car's configuration was meant to provide better low-end performance as would be necessary for hill climbs and shorter circuits. The racing pedigree of the car is further attested to with the addition of a Bonaldi 700 brake servo booster.
The car would be an interesting build. It would feature such characteristics as a non-sleeved brake cooler ducts and side and hood vents that would lack the embellishments. And, finally, the car would still be produced with wind-up Perspex windows instead of the sliding panes that would adorn most of the competition models. But, given that Ferraris were custom built cars, this detail is not entirely unusual and reflects something of its purpose when it was finally received by its first owner on the 24th of May, 1960.
It is widely believed Renato Bialetti, despite the build and details of the car, was by no means a racer. It is more than likely that he just wanted the highly-tuned Berlinetta 'Competizione' model for all to gawk at while out and about on the streets of his town of Omegna, Italy.
Two years after taking delivery of the car, Mr. Bialetti would have the car serviced at the Ferrari factory's Assistenza Clienti in Modena. At that time it is recorded the car's read 43,361 kilometers.
The car would remain with Bialetti for a number of years. It wouldn't be until February of 1967 that he would sell the car to a Domenico Piantoni of Milan. The car wouldn't remain with Piantoni for very long, however. Toward the later part of 1967, the car would be packed up and shipped off to the United States. The car had been purchased by the well known marque collector Norman Blank and would be brokered via another well-known Ferrari connoisseur from southern California.
Blank was quite well known amongst the Ferrari community as he would be known for owning a number of vintage V12 Ferraris. During the car's period of ownership under Mr. Blank it would be decided the power from the Colombo V12 wasn't quite enough. Therefore, Mr. Blank would set about purchasing a Testa Rossa V12 to put in the car. The rest would be truly remarkable in so many ways. Still retaining its gorgeous looks, but possessing the kind of power that could make a heart stop, Mr. Blank believed to have created the 'ultimate' SWB racer. For a period of three decades the car remained in this state.
Mr. Blank would have a change of heart by 1997. Determined to undertake some restoration work on the car, Mr. Blank would determine to replace with the Testa Rossa engine with its original. While considered wise and prudent, the move would also be made out of a sense of understanding the nature of the times. Highly original Ferraris were in great demand and he still had the car's original engine on hand. Therefore, it only made sense to return the car to its original condition.
While the engine would be replaced, the chassis and body would continue in its restoration process carried out by Charles Betz and Fred Peters. The work would be completed and Mr. Blank would enter the car in the 1999 Concorso Italiano held at Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, California. Then, in 2002, the car would be on exhibition at the 38th FCA National Meeting and Concours. At that event the car would earn a Platinum Award in the Racing Class.
After Mr. Blank's passing in 2004, the car would become the property of another esteemed collector who would enter the car in numerous events including the Quail Motorsports Gathering, the 31st Monterey Historic Races and vintage campaigns like the 2004 Colorado Grand, the 2005 Tour Auto Lissac in France and the 2005 Quail Rally.
Brian Hoyt would be contracted to refresh the 250GT SWB in 2008. Hoyt's Perfect Reflections would perform a careful repaint in Barchetta Rossa and would complete many other detailing to ready the car for concours events.
The work would pay immediate dividends when the car earned Best in Show and the Coppa Milano-Sanremo Award at the 2008 Concorso Italiano. Then, at the 2009 Palm Beach Cavallino Classic, the car would earn yet another Platinum Award in the Racing Class. It would also earn a special award for the Best GT Car at the Classic Sports Sunday event held at Mar-a-Lago the next day.
1905GT would then undergo concours preparation and would be shipped to Switzerland to take part in the 2009 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este at Lake Como in Italy. While in preparation, the historian Marcel Massini would have unrestricted access to the car and plenty of time to further his well-documented history of the car.
The preparations would be successful as the car would receive a second place Mention of Honor in the Modena Thoroughbred Class. However, upon returning to the United States, the car again would rise to the top step earning yet another Platinum Award, this time at the 45th FCA Nationals held at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Then, at the Marin Sonoma Concours, the car would earn a Platinum and a First in Class at the Chateau Julian Concours.
The restoration work would continue. In 2010, Wayne Obry's Motion Products would be commissioned to complete even more restoration work. This was done in preparation for that year's Pebble Beanch Concours d'Elegance. This would be a special year as part of the concours events would include a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta. When it was all said and done, the car would earn a score of 95 points.
The car's remarkable exhibition record would continue throughout 2010 and 2011 and would include the Phil Hill Award and a feature article in the August 2011 issue of Cavallino magazine.
The 17th of just 72 aluminum-bodied competizione-spec SWB examples, boasting of just four owners since new and bursting with numerous and highly coveted awards, including multiple Platinum Awards, 1905GT certainly seems beyond the definition of remarkable. It is easy to understand why. Those evocative lines, the sound of the Colombo V12 and restoration work worthy of its many accolades, this particular 1960 Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta 'Competizione' certainly defines its class.
Absolutely 'race-ready', fully documented and award winning, 1905GT's estimated value could only learned upon request by serious buyers. But one thing is certain, and that is this: its value would have to be determined beyond the mere limits of money.Sources:
'Lot No. 164: 1960 Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta 'Competizione' by Carrozzeria Scaglietti', (http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ13&CarID=r159). RM Auctions. http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ13&CarID=r159. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
'1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB News, Pictures and Information', (http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z8769/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB.aspx). Conceptcarz.com: From Concept to Production. http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z8769/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB.aspx. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
'1959-1962 Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione', (http://www.supercars.net/cars/2075.html). Supercars.net. http://www.supercars.net/cars/2075.html. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
'Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione', (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1559/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Berlinetta-Competizione.html). Ultimatecarpage.com: Powered by Knowledge, Driven by Passion. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1559/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Berlinetta-Competizione.html. Retrieved 10 January 2013.By Jeremy McMullen
Chassis Num: 2083GT
Engine Num: 0540 F
Ferrari 250 GT SWB All Alloy Competition was the 36th constructed and finished on September 9th of 1960. It is a left hand drive and fitted with engine number 0540 F, though, during the 1960s its engine was replaced. It was purchased by the Scuderia Serenissima team and raced in the 1960 Monza GT race where it was driven by Carlo Maria Abate to a first place finish.
During the early 1980s it was shown at the International Ferrari Concours by Chuck Reid, who later brought the car to the Monterey Historic Races. The car would return to the International Ferrari Concours in Monterey in 1994, this time under the care of Judson Dayton. Dayton has brought the car to the Cavallino Classic in 2004 and in 2007.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
The 250 GT Short Wheelbase was shown at the Paris Auto Salon in October 1959 equipped with an improved 3 liter Colombo designed V-12 engine and bodywork designed by Pinin Farina and built by Scaglietti. The new GT was built as a Lusso version in steel and a competizione model in lightweight alloy and was the first Ferrari equipped with Dunlop disc brakes. Ferrari built 42 alloy bodied cars and this car is the 13th which features unusual side vents with no fairings. The car ran in the 1960 and 1961 Targa Florio races driven by its owner Pietro Ferraro and Armando Zampiero and in the 1962 Targa Florio it was driven by its second owner Giuseppe Crespi and Alberto Federici. The SWB Berlinetta is one of the most successful Ferraris of all time winning at Le Mans as well as almost every other major race in the early 1960s including Tourist Trophy wins in 1960 and 1961 when Stirling Moss drove the famous Rob Walker - owned SWB. The 250GT SWB is the sort of car that could be driven to the circuit in the morning and after removing any luggage and applying race numbers the owner could go on and win the race in the afternoon and then go on to dinner.
The 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti Competizione with chassis number 2033 has chassis type 539, engine type 168B, and internal number 422 F. The gearbox is number 31/539 and the rear axle internal is number 220. The original exterior color was (and is) white with a maroon stripe. The original interior color was brown. It is the 30th of a total of 165 units constructed. The alloy body was constructed by Carrozzeria Scaglietti.
It is the 30th of a total of 165 cars constructed.
It was sold new by the factory Sefac SpA on August 5th of 1960 to its first owner, Vladimiro Galluzzi's building company S.I.L.E. (Societa Impressa Lavori Edili), resident at Via Alumino 25 in Milan, Italy.
On September 4th of 1960 it was raced at the XII Coppa Inter-Europa at Monza by Galluzzi and wearing number 54. It placed 7th overall.
On October 30th of 1960 it was raced at the 1st Criterium Sociale Leopoldo Carri at Monza by Galluzzi, wearing number 59, where it placed 1st overall and 1st in class. The race was organized by the Automobile Club of Milano.
On April 6th of 1962 it was sold by S.I.L.E. S.r.l. to second owner Lorenzo Bandini. Bendini later became a Ferrari team Formula One and sports car driver from 1962 to 1967.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2013
This car is fitted with a Scaglietti lightweight steel body. This competition Berlinetta has magnesium components in the 3-liter V12 engine which develops 290 horsepower.
Ferrari 250GT SWB with chassis number 2291GT is the 59th example created and was completed in January of 1961. It is an alloy bodied Berlinetta in Left-Hand Drive configuration that was first owned by Lorien Dernier who competed in Belgium. Dernier was to race the October running of the 1000km of Paris but failed to start the race.
Sometime during the 1960s the car was sent to the United States and to its next owner, John Ling. Ownership later passed to Don Luke who kept it until 1983 when it was sold to Dr. Robert L. Bodin. While in his care, the car was entered in the Chicago Historics in 1987 and 1992, the Monterey Ferrari gathering in 1992 and 1994, and in the Monterey Historic Races in 1994, 2004, and again in 2007.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2017
This Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta Competition Coupe is a Left Hand Drive example with chassis number 2095GT. It is the 37th example created and was completed in August of 1960. The first owner was Dr. Alberico Cacciari or Bologna, Italy who used it in compettiiton. It was driven the Coppa dei due mare, the Coppa Inter Europa in Monza, the 1000km Paris, Montlhéry, and the Coppa Sant'Ambroeus, Monza where it finished 2nd overall. The next race, a six hour event, it failed to finish. It placed third at the Mille Miglia Rally and 3rd in Class at the Grand Prix of Pescara. At the Targa Florio, it failed to finish.
It was sold in 1962 to Hans-Georg Plaut who raced it in 1962 and 1963. It scored 4th overall at the German Grand Prix and 18th at the Spa 500km.
Peter Lindner purchased the car in 1963 who sold it a year later to Erich Bitter. Bitter raced in two events in 1964 with a 3rd in Class being the best finish. Also that year the engine was replaced with engine number 5213GT from a 250 GT Lusso. Karl Stuver purchased the car in the mid-1960s; Lloyd rex of Boulder Colorado purchased the car near the close of 1967. In 1974, it was purchased by its present owner. It has been raced in vintage events since then, mostly the Monterey Historic Races.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2009
Sold for $8,140,000 at 2013 RM Auctions
Standard road versions of the SWB had a steel body with a 90 x 54 mm frame and detuned Colombo V12, while the competizione versions featured an alloy body and a smaller 80 x 45 mm frame. Offering a substantial weight savings, the competition cars attained class victories at the biggest evens, including Le Mans and the Tour de France. This car, chassis number 1905GT, was raced during the early 1960s in Italy. It was sold to an owner in the United States in 1966.
This 250 GT Short Wheelbase competition car is the sixteenth car built by Scaglietti, the bodybuilder for this series although no two aluminum cars were precisely the same.
The 2953cc, SOHC, V12 gave upwards of 280 horsepower at 7,000 RPM, dependent on tune, and used a 4-speed, all-synchro gearbox. The lightweight, competition cars - under 2400 pounds - handled very well, had real brakes and could readily exceed 150 mph.
Sold for $2,824,217 (€2,090,000) at 2007 RM Auctions
Sold for $5,280,000 at 2011 RM Auctions
It is believed that just 42 examples of the alloy competition 250 GT cars were built in 1960 and chassis number 2209 GT was the fourth from the last example constructed. It was sold new to Ardilio Tavoni of Modena on October 18th of 1960 and was registered on Modena plates MO 60578. Just a few days after taking delivery, racing driver Jo Schlesser and Andre Simon raced the car at the French 1000 kms of Montlhery where they finished third overall. Next was the March 12, 1961 Monza 'Coppa Saint'Ambroeus' with Sandro Zafferi at the wheel and the car numbered as #197. The car placed 4th in the GT Class at the Tour de Corse on November 4th and 5th of 1961, driven by Jo Schlesser and his wife.
The second owner of the SWB was Gianni Roghi of Milan on November 2nd of 1962. February 18, 1963 Roghi had the Ferrari serviced by the factory Assistenza Clienti in Modena. Later, on June 2, 1963 Roghi placed 3rd in class at the XXV Coppa della Consuma Hillclimb. Other events during the 1963 season include Coppa Pisa, the Monza Coppa Inter-Europa and the Coppa Citta d'Asagio.
The car was sold to Tullio Lombardo on January 19th of 1967 who passed it on to the fourth owner, Gastone Crepaldi, both residents of Milan. In 1968 Carrozzeria Piero Drogo of Modena re-bodied the car to a design by Tadini. The original engine was replaced with a 250 GTE engine numbered 4291.
The next owner, Miss Maryvoure Lassus of St. Vile, France, became the car's next owner on May 29th of 1969. On February 18th of 1971, it was acquired by the next owner Eric Russli Birchler of Paris, France who later sold it to Berurd Cros-Lafage. Sometime in 1978 it was either 'stolen' or sold by a garagiste for a repair or storage bill owed. UK resident Stuart Passey purchased 2209GT from dealer Michael Lavers after the French police and the UK Fine Arts team determined that the 'theft' matter was resolved, and Mr. Passey was able to obtain a clear title of ownership.
Mr. Passey registered the car in the United Kingdom with UK plates 'SWB 70' before commissioning a total professional restoration. Upon completion in the summer of 1984, the car was put on display at the Donnington Park Ferrari Owners Club meeting. The car would remain in Mr. Passey's care for over two decades. During that time, it was driven and displayed at various UK-based events, including the Coys Historic Festival in 2001.
The car was sold by Simon Kidston in January of 2003 to racing driver Frank Synter who in turned passed it to Carlos Monteverde of London, England. While in his care, the car was re-sprayed to his standard colors of yellow with a green nose-band. The car was raced in various international events for three or four seasons until it was damaged by a friend in a race in Portugal. The car was repaired in England and re-sprayed white with a green stripe in an attempt to return it to its original appearance.
On May 20th of 2007, the car was sold by RM Auctions at their Maranello Ferrari Factory sale. The restoration was not completed by the time of the sale, so it was conditionally sold complete but in a partially disassembled state to the current owner, Skip Barber. The rest of the restoration was completed by the Ferrari Classiche Department. The work, bringing it back to factory-original condition, took a complete year to complete. When completed, it was painted in the classic Ferrari 'Rossa Corsa' racing color. The new Classiche-stamped engine block was reassembled using all new and correct internals.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Monterey, CA auction presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $3,800,000 - $4,500,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $5,280,000, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
Sold for $13,500,000 at 2016 Gooding & Company
The short-wheelbase Ferrari 250 GT berlinetta was developed by three young engineers named Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri. While its predecessor rested on a 2600mm wheelbase, the short-wheelbase (SWB) measured just 2400mm and featured disc brakes. It wore coachwork designed by Pinin Farina in Torino and built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Modena. They were available in road-going form, with a steel body or, in competition specification, with lightweight aluminum coachwork.
This particular example, chassis number 1759 GT, is the sixth example built and among the first competition cars completed for the 1960 model year. This car was purpose-built to compete in the 24 Hours of LeMans. Built between January and March 1960, this SWB Berlinetta was equipped with the latest Tipo 168 outside-plug V-12 engine, with Testa Rossa cylinder heads, Weber 40 DCL6 carburetors, velocity stacks, and 9.9:1 compression. This car may have also been the first Ferrari to be outfitted with the SNAP exhaust extractors. Another distinguishable feature on 1759 GT are the rear brake cooling scoops on the rocker panels just ahead of the rear wheels.
This Berlinetta Competizione was tested at Monza on April 27th of 1960 in preparation for Le Mans. At Monza, the car was tested by factory drivers, including Phil Hill, Richie Ginther, and Wolfgang von Trips.
1759 GT was sold to US distributor Luigi Chinetti Motors in New York on June 18th of 1960, who sold the car to Dr. Harvey Schur. It was then registered on Italian export license plates 'EE 02016,' and final preparations were made for its racing debut.
Chinetti's North American Racing Team arrived at LeMans with four Ferraris, including a TR59, two Competition Berlinettas, and a Competition California Spider. This car, chassis number 1759 GT, wore number 19 and was decorated with NART insignias, a white and blue noseband, and white stripes running diagonally along the passenger's side. It had is front bumperetts removed for the race, a Plexiglas bug deflector placed on the hood, and an aluminum roll bar installed. Individuals tasked with driving 1759GT were Ed Hugus and Augie Pabst.
At the end of the 24 Hour endurance race, the factory's TR59, driven by driven by Olivier Gendebien and Paul Frère, took overall honors. 1759 GT was one of four SWB Berlinettas to finish in the Top 10.
After LeMans, 1759GT was exported to the United States and prepared for Dr. Schur, who had Chinetti Motors change the instruments from kilometers to miles per hour.
Gilbert Horton became the car's next owner in 1962, trading in his alloy-bodied LWB California Spider (chassis number 1639 GT). In 1967, Mr. Horton sold 1759 GT to Mark Slotkin of California, who, three years later, sold it to Charles Betz and Fred Peters. In 1973, Betz and Peters sold the SWB Berlinetta to Philip Bronner of Rancho Palso Verdes, CA. Dr. Bronner used the car in various vintage racing events during the 1970s, running it at the Ferrari Owners Club USA Hillclimb in Virginia City, Nevada, and the Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca every year from 1975 to 1980.
In 1980, the car was sold to Peter Giddings, who sold it three years later to Tom Mudd of Woodside, CA. Mr. Mudd began a restoration, which involved disassembling the car and stripping the coachwork to bare metal. The project never progressed beyond this stage, however, and in 2002 Mr. Mudd sold 1759 GT to a private collector.
The initial restoration was completed in 2005, and has been displayed at concours events such as the Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach and campaigned in vintage events. During the track events, a later 250-series engine was installed in an effort to preserve the original unit.
Since then, the car's original, matching-numbers engine has been re-installed. It is currently finished in its LeMans livery. It has a ribbed alloy gearbox, 120-liter aluminum fuel tank, and a full competition-spec engine.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2016
The blue Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta is seen here on the grounds of the Quail Lodge in California. A few months later it was brought country to the other side of the United States for the Cavallino Classic in West Palm Beach. It carries chassis number 2265 GT and was the 55th one created, finished in December of 1960. It is constructed of steel and is a left-hand drive automobile. It has had only four owners since new, with the latest owner taking possession in 1983.
Widely recognized as one of the greatest Ferraris of all time, the 250 GT Short Wheelbase was a dual-purpose model. Aimed at both racing and touring, it had a chassis that was shorter by 8-inches than the 250 GT Berlinetta. In production from late 1959 until early 1963, 165 SWB chassis were finished, ninety with steel Lusso road trim and seventy-five with the lightweight aluminum alloy race bodywork. This car, with chassis number 2265GT, won its class in the 1985 Vintage support race prior to the Mexican Grand Prix in Mexico City.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
Ferrari 250 GT SWB with chassis number 1813GT is a all alloy Berlinetta Competizione racer and the 13th one constructed. It was finished in May of 1960 and is a left hand drive vehicle. It was outfitted with a 214F Tipo engine with three 40 DCL/6 Weber carburetors. Its first owner was Pietro Ferraro who actively raced the vehicle during the 1960 and 1961 seasons. Its first race was at the 1960 Targa Florio where the car wore number 206 and was driven by Ferraro and Armando Zampiero. It managed to finish the long and grueling race in a respectable 18th position overall. The next outing was a hillclimb event where the car was driven to a Third in Class victory.
The car was driven in the 1961 and 1962 Targa Florio race. The 1962 running of the race, the car was driven by its next owner, F. Crispi. The car remained in Crispi's possession for a number of years before it was sold to Trivellato in 1969. John Risch of New Jersey became the vehicles next owner who kept the car for fifteen years before selling it to Robert Baker. The purchase by Baker was an excellent investment; when he sold the car two years later he netted over $600. The price of the vehicle would continue to escalate; its history in the Targa Florio race plus its excellent pedigree has made this car worth millions.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
This Ferrari 250 GT SWB is the eighth of around forty-five aluminum-bodied competition 250GT SWB Berlinettas constructed for that year. It was built by the factory in March of 1960 and was constructed to competition specifications fitted with aluminum bodywork and a factory roll bar. Features not found on the car were side vent windows, fender vents, rain gutters over the doors, side indicators on the front fenders, an indentation for the trunk on the license plate, a vent over the rearview window, and finally, a glove compartment.
The car was completed by the factory on March 16, 1960 and nine days later it had made its way to Florida, where it was preparing to compete at the ninth annual 12 Hours of Sebring. The car was delivered through Luigi Chinetti to George Arents, who entered it in the race, along with driver Bill Kimberly as co-driver, under the banner of Cinett's North American Racing Team. Arents and Kimberly finished Sebring in 7th place overall and 5th in class. This would be the sole occasion that Arents raced his 250 SWB.
A month later, it was sold to Robert M. Grossman of Nyack, New Jersey. Grossman's first race was the SCCA National GT race at Bridgehampton, New York, on May 30 and 31, and he took 1st overall. It appeared on the cover of the October 1960 issue of Sports Cars Illustrated
magazine before its next series of races at the Bahamas Speed Week.
In his first race at Nassau in the Nassau Tourist Trophy, Grossman finished 2nd overall. Grossman returned for the Governor's Trophy on December 3, finishing 11th overall and 4th in class. The following day, Grossman placed 11th overall and 1st in Class in the open race of the Nassau Trophy.
Bob Hathaway of Rhode Island purchased the car in early 1961. Hathaway found similar success as Arents. The car raced at a handful of SCCA events in the U.S. Northeast and even in a race at Mosport in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada, placing 1st overall. In 1961, it returned to Nassau, placing 4th overall and 3rd in Class in the over 1,500-cubic centimeter GT class race on December 3 and 3rd overall and 3rd in class at the Nassau Tourist Trophy the same day. In the Governor's Trophy on December 8, Hathaway placed 7th overall and 5th in class.
Walter Luftman, of Rye, New York became the car's next owner in 1962. Ownership later passed to Jim Hunt, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. In 1966, Adrian Pothus, of Ann Arbor, Michigan became its next caretaker, remaining in his care for the next decade before it was acquired by Joseph William Moch, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in March of 1979. Anthony Mudd became its next owner in 1983, before it was exported overseas to Jean-Jacques Bally, of Vence, France, and later Rinnie Van Der Velden, of Holland, in June 1987.
Mr. Van Der Velden had a new front clip installed. In February of 1994, the car was sold to Tony Smith in the United Kingdom, who commissioned David Cottingham's DK Engineering to perform a full restoration, with engine work being performed by Bob Houghton. After the work was completed, it was sold to Andre Ahrle, of Bonn, Germany, in 1996. It was then acquired in 1999 by a collector in the Pacific Northwest.
In 2003, the car was displayed at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. Four years later, it was purchased by John Romano, of Connecticut. In June 2007, it was driven at the Ferrari Historic Challenge Series at Mont Tremblant and later shown at teh Cavallino Classic in 2010.
It was later purchased by its current caretaker who gave it a complete restoration back to its 1960 Sebring livery. It was given new yellow paintwork and a new green interior, as per its original specifications.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
Ferrari introduced a new alloy-bodied 250 GT short wheelbase racing Berlinetta, based on its Tour de France-winning 250 GT long wheelbase car, at the 1959 Paris Auto Salon. Developed by Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri, 165 examples were built by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, using aluminum for the racing car and steel for the road-going version.
This alloy-bodied car, the 44th Ferrari 250 GT SWB, was delivered to its first owner, Gerard Spinedi in Geneva, towards the end of 1960. It won its first race, the Rallye Lyon-Charbonnieres, driven by Jo Schlesser, and between 1961 and 1964, the gold-painted car was raced all over Europe by Spinedi, often winning its class, and completing three Tour de France rallies. After retiring from racing, the car was kept in several private collections before being acquired by its current owner in 2012.
This Competition SWB has an extensive racing history in Europe. Races include Monza, 1000 KM Paris, Mille Miglia Rally, Targo Florio, German Grand Prix (to name a few). This unrestored Ferrari is powered by a water-cooled single-overhead-cam 2953cc V12 engine developing 280 horsepower.
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Recent Vehicle Additions
|Remarkably Pure Ferrari 166 MM Completes RM Sotheby's Stellar Offering at Amelia Island|
|• RM Sotheby's rounds out superlative Amelia Island catalogue with an exceptionally pure 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta
• A two-time Mille Miglia entrant, chassis 0058 M is the latest in a series of multi-million-dollar entries confirmed for RM Sotheby's 10-11 March sale
• The official auction of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's two-day Amelia Island event also shines spotlight on 'A Gentleman's Collection: The Pride and Passion of Orin Smith', to be offered largely without reserve,...[Read more...]|
|H&H CLASSICS TO SELL TWO MULTI-MILLION FERRARIS IN GENEROUS LEGACY TO THE RNLI|
|◾H&H Classics to offer a 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB and 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 from the estate of the late Richard Colton, a pre-eminent British V12 Ferrari collector
◾Proceeds from the sale to benefit the Royal National Lifeboat Institution
◾1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB was the second steel, right-hand-drive car delivered – one of a pair of SWBs ordered by Col. Ronnie Hoare to launch Maranello Concessionaires
◾1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 is one of 27 UK cars, originally a Maranello Concessionaires demons...[Read more...]|
|A legendary car|
|Maranello, 17th October 2014 – Fangio, Castellotti, De Portago, Von Trips, Phil Hill, Stirling Moss. Motor racing legends that shared not just races, victories and marques, but also a specific Ferrari, the 290 MM. We're not talking about a model but an actual individual car – engine, bodywork and chassis number – which a few months back arrived at the Ferrari Classiche department for restoration.
On this car, born as 860 Monza , Enzo Ferrari decided to swap the latter's 4-cylinder engin...[Read more...]|
|1959 12 Hours of Sebring: 12 Hours to Success|
|In 1961, Richie Ginther would join Giancarlo Baghetti, Willy Mairesse and Wolfgang von Trips to come away with a 2nd place overall finish in the 12 Hours of Sebring. Completing 208 laps, the Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa would finish two laps behind eventual winner Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien. It would mark the first time Ginther would stand on the podium in the overall standings at the 12 Hours of Sebring, but it was far from the first time the Californian would stand on the podium at the end of ...[Read more...]|
|Italian Racing Classics Lead Gooding & Company's 10th Anniversary|
|SANTA MONICA, Calif. (June 4, 2013) – Gooding & Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will be hosting the 10th Anniversary sale of the Pebble Beach Auctions on August 17 and 18. This year Gooding & Company offers an early preview of some of the most highly sought after and rapidly amassing value collectible – the distinguished Italian race car. Auction highlights include a...[Read more...]|