This Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA (AR #613642) is one of the first GTAs prepared by AUTODELTA. The e Centro Automobilisimo Storico Archivo Alfa Romeo confirmed that Carlo Lepro, from Uruguay, purchased this car August 1, 1965. The car arrived in Montevideo on September 29, 1965, representing the first documented GTA on American soil. They had three weeks to make preparations for the IX Gran Premio de Turismo Internacional, Argentina. Lepro anticipated that the 1965 C class would be very competitive in view of the many Argentinean competitors driving the newest FIAT 1600 C. The FIAT 1500 had won the 1964 GP and FIAT Argentina was there in full support to win the GP again. Carlos won his 'C' class, finished 3rd overall and 1st in three out of six stages, and 3rd in two of the stages. This was a grueling 4,236.9 km of racing in 10 days. This constitutes the first win for an Alfa Romeo GTA in race sponsored by the Federation International Automobile (FIA). After 4 years of historic research and restoration, you see the car as raced in 1965.
In 1965, Alfa Romeo introduced the Giulia GTA model by Bertone. 500 cars were produced for homologation purpose to race in the European Touring Championship. Autodelta, directed by Carlo Chiti, prepared these 'Racing GTA's' (estimated only 35 between 1965-1969), in order to contest the supremacy of the dominant Ford Cortina Lotus from Colin Chapman (England).
AR#613642 is one of the first GTA's prepared by Autodelta. Carlos Lepro, from Uruguay, purchased the car on August 1, 1965. The car arrived to Montevideo on September 29, 1965, representing the first documented GTA on American soil. Carlos Lepro anticipated that the 1965 'C' Class of the IX Gran Premio de Turismo Internacional Argentina would be very competitive in view of many Argentinean drivers racing with the newest Fiat 1500 C. Fiat Argentina was in full support after winning the 1964 'C' Class Gran Premio to second place Alfa Romeo Giulia Super Ti. Carlos won his 'C' Class, finished third overall. He won 3 stages and third in 2 stages of the grueling 4,236.9 kilometers of racing in 10 days. This constitutes the first win for Alfa Romeo GTA in a race sponsored by the Federation International Automobile (FIA).
The owner of this automobile was 19 years old when he watched Carlos Lepro racing his Giulia in the owner's native Argentina in 1965. He found AR#613642 thirty-five years later in North Carolina. Stephen Barney had brought the Giulia from Uruguay to the United States in 1989.
After five years of historical research, based upon original black and white photos donated by Mrs. Lepro, restoration was performed by Roman and Robert Tucker (Michigan), and Jack Beck (Nebraska). The Giulia of Lepro is presented exactly as raced in 1965.
In 1965, Alfa Romeo introduced the Giula GTA model designed by Bertone. 500 cars were produced for homologation purpose to race in the European Touring Championship. Autodelta, directed by Carlo Chiti, prepared these racing GTA's.
AR#613642 is one of the first GTA's prepared by Autodelta. Carlos Lepro from Uruguay purchased the car in August 1965. Carlos anticipated that the 1965 'C' Class of the IX Gran Premio de Turismo International Argentina, would be very competitive in view of many Argentinean drivers racing with the newest Fiat 1500 C. Carlo won his class, finished third overall.
This win constitutes the first win for an Alfa Romeo GTA in a race sponsored by the Federation International Automobile (FIA).
the current owner was 19 years old when he watched Carlos Lepro racing his Giulia in his native Argentina in 1965. He found AR#613642 35 years later in North Carolina.
This 1965 Alfa Romeo 1600 GTA was raced by Lee Midgley in the 1970 & 1971 Trans Am Opener at Laguna Seca & also the Trans Am at Mont Treblant later that season. He finished 2nd in points in 1970 & also raced a full season in the 1971 Trans Am but did not achieve a win that year. This car is being presented in 'unrestored' condition. • 1970 two Trans Am wins
• 1970 Finished second in points
• 1971 - Best finish was a second at Olathe
Southern California racer Lee Midgley bought this Alfa Romeo GTA from a used car lot in March of 1970. In just three weeks, with the help of his son and others, Lee managed to have the car race prepped and ready for its first race, the 1970 Trans-Am season opener at Laguna Seca. Lee won that race as well as the Trans-Am at Mt. Tremblant. These two wins, along with several top 5 finishes, earned Lee second place in driver points and contributed to Alfa Romeo's win of the 1970 championship title. Lee also raced this car in the 1971 Trans-Am/2.5 challenge series where he scored several top 5 finishes but did not have any victories. His best finish was second at the Olathe, Kansas Trans-Am. The car is currently shown in its 1971 livery.
The GTA was developed by Alfa Romeo's Autodelta race shop. The GTA was a lightweight version of the already small and light GTV. It was powered by a 1,570 cc DOHC 4-cylinder developing 175 hp.
This car is the 1966 Trans-Am Champion. Sponsored by Knauz Continental in Illinois, the Alfa Romeo Autodelta GTA with Horst Kwech and co-driver Gaston Andrey driving had three firsts, two seconds and a fourth place in seven races, accumulating more points than any other drivers or teams. It was the 1966 ARRC (American Road Race of Champions) B-Sedan Champion for the most outstanding ARRC class win with 22 classes present. In 1967, this car was the B-Sedan Central Division champion with John Martino driving. In the 1968 Trans-Am series, this car scored two second place finishes with Tom Blank and Del Taylor driving. The car was raced in SCCA club events by Bill Taylor through 1979, including a 1977 Trans-Am race in C-Sedan trim. Its last races were in HSR with Paul Spruell.
The car was restored in 2007 and 2008 and subsequently sold to the current owner in 2013.
This car was manufactured on July 11th of 1965 and then delivered to Alfa Romeo of Great Britain. From 1965-1967 it was owned by Alfa Romeo Great Britain. From 1967 through 1969 it was owned by Edward Thorpe. It raced in FIA and ETCC events by various drivers including Jochen Rindt, Rhoddy Harvey Bailey, and Edward Thorpe. In ten races, the car had eight wins, one 2nd place finish, and one DNF.
From 1969 through 1970, it was owned and raced by Charles H. Thieriot of Los Angeles, California in SCCA B Sedan events. In 5 starts, the car has four wins, and one 3rd place finish. In 1970, Thieriot won the Cal Club B Sedan Championship.
From 1970 through 1972 it was the back-up Trans Am car for Thieriot.
From 1973-1978 it competed in Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California Time Trial events. The car won many T.T.O.D. events in the hands of Thieriot.
From 1979-1985 it underwent an extensive restoration and prepared for vintage racing by Thieriot.
From 1985-1995 it participated in AROSC Time Trials as well as numerous vintage races including the Monterey Historics, Palm Springs Vintage Grand Prix, Riverside Vintage Grand Prix, and the LaBuffadora Hillclimb in Mexico.
From 1996-2005 the car sat in storage at Thieriot's home.
In 2005 the car was purchased from the Thieriot family by Anthony ad Fabrizio Rimicci. The car received a complete mechanical and interior restoration.
Alfa Romeo's tradition of technical excellence proven in competition as a world class marque was in question of survival following World War II. Decisions were made in secret that led to the small, lightweight, high performance Giulietta Sprint introduced at the 1954 Turin Motor Show.
Its racy features as a stylish coupe were a sensation and led to Alfa's return to economic strength and to racing. In 1962, the Giulia replaced the highly successful and profitable Giulietta, and Alfa's return to racing was insured when Autodelta was formed to prepare and campaign cars for a factory team and for customers. New racing regulations favored touring cars, and the Giulia GTA, based on the Giulia Sprint, was born in 1965 for the sole purpose of winning races in its class. 'A' referred to 'allegerita' - lightened - that replaced the steel body with aluminum panels. Suspension and engine upgrades produced a thoroughbred Alfa Romeo that became phenomenally successful, winning three successive European Touring Car championships 1966-68.
This GTA Corsa was prepared by Autodelta specifically for US competition in SCCA's Trans-American Sedan Championship (Trans-Am), a professional series, and placed 3rd in class at the first race of the series, Sebring 1965. In 30 entries, this car gained 6 first in class victories and was present at the last Trans-Am race, Riverside 1972. Raced afterwards through 1976, this car was a well-worn veteran of the track when purchased by its current owner in 1984 and subsequently received restoration that returned the car to its 1972 Trans-Am preparation.
Sold for $275,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The 'A' in GTA represented 'Alleggerita' or 'lightened.' They had aluminum body panels and various other lightweight components. The engine was a twin spark plug head on the 1570cc twin-cam engine and Weber 45 DCOE carburetors. The cars destined for competition were prepared by Autodelta, run by engineer Carlo Chiti and acting as Alfa Romeo's competition department. The GTA won numerous championships including the Under 2-Liter Class in the inaugural season of the SCCA Trans-Am series in 1966.
This GTA 1600 example was completed on December 10th of 1965 and delivered on March 21st of 1966 to Guido Garufi of Palermo, Italy. Mr. Garufi intended to compete with the car in the Targa Florio. He was listed as an entrant with an Alfa Romeo but did not start.
In the 1970s, the GTA was sold to Giuseppi D'Amico who is believed to have driven the car in the 1976 Targa Florio. In 1978, the car was brought to the United States and sold to Richard Hairston. Mr. Hairston drove the GTA for many years in West Coast vintage racing events. In 1981, it was treated to a restoration. It was later sold to Greg Hill who used it for several years before selling to the consignor in 2000.
During the past 12 years, the car has been raced in CSRG and HMSA competition with numerous appearances at Laguna Seca for the Monterey Historic Races.
Only 500 examples of the Alfa Romeo GTAs were built in-period. Powering the car is a 1570cc inline 4-cylinder dual overhead cam aluminum engine fitted with Twin Weber carburetors and delivers 175 horsepower. There is a five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at Pebble Beach Auction presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $300,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold $275,000, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2012
The Alfa Romeo GTA was a vehicle designed for both road and track, and produced from 1965 through 1971. The GTA was given aluminum body panels in-place of steel, which reduced the weight of the vehicle greatly. Continuing with this weight-loss plan, Alfa Romeo outfitted the cars with alloy wheels and clear plastic windows. Inside, many of the components were formed from lightweight material and non-essential items were removed. Many mechanical components, including the rear upper control arms, were comprised of lightweight materials such as aluminum. The engine was given larger carburetors, magnesium camshaft covers, sump and timing covers, and other improvements. The Stradale version produced over 110 horsepower while the racing version produced an impressive 168 horsepower.
The GTA 1300 Junior version was produced from 1968 through 1972. It featured a 1300 cc based on the 1600 engine, and produced just under 100 horsepower. That figure was quickly raised to nearly 110. The vehicle incorporated many lightweight components. In total, there were 450 examples produced.
A GTAm series was produced from 1970 through 1971. These versions did not have any aluminum parts. Power came from a 2-liter four-cylinder engine. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007
The first generation of the Giulia, also known as the 105 series, was introduced at the Monaz Autodrome in the early 1960s. The vehicles shared the same bodies as the vehicles they were replacing, the Giulietta. Power came from 1570 cc 4-cylinder engines using hemispheric combustion chambers and producing over 90 horsepower. The five speed manual gearbox was operated by a column mounted shift. The suspension was modified in the rear to improve handling but remained the same in the front.
Just like the Giulietta series, the Giulia came in multiple body-styles including the four-door berlina, spider, TZ, sprint, and Sprint Speciale.
With racing in mind, Alfa Romeo designed and built the TZ series. The TZ, meaning Tubolare Zagato, was outfitted with a light alloy body, tubular frame, disc brakes and independent suspension. The performance of the vehicle was amplified by its light body and responsive and effective handling. The large disc brakes provided excellent stopping power.
In 1963 the Giulia TI Super was introduced as a low production specialty model. With only 500 examples produced, its exclusivity is secure. Outfitted with a 112 horsepower engine, large disc brakes, and floor mounted shift, this vehicle was a performance machine.
In 1963 all models received disc brakes standard on all four wheels. Power was increased in 1965 with the introduction of the 98 horsepower Giulia Super. Externally and internally, the design was slightly modified throughout the years.
The Giulia is credited with expanding international sales of the Alfa Romeo product. Like its predecessor the Giulietta, the vehicle was available in multiple body styles and configurations. Part of its success was the economical aspects, versatility, and styling. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
A delightfully charismatic car that proved a highly successful seller, the Alfa Romeo Giulia replaced the outgoing Giulietta beginning in 1962. Alfa Romeo produced the Giulia in myriad configurations, some drastically different from other models in the series but all with a unifying thread of polished driving fun.
The name 'Giulietta' means 'little Giulia' in Italian, so the Alfa Giulia title was a play on words identifying the new car as a grown-up version of the Giulietta. The wittiness of Alfa's naming strategy was representative of the Giulia's personality as a whole. The car bristled with clever touches, and was a superb example of world-leading engineering packed into a small and stylish automobile.
The first Giulia sedan, or Berlina, models were introduced in June of 1962 and belonged to the 105 series of Alfa cars. The Berlinas were boxy and fairly conservative in appearance, but their design was nevertheless attractive, modern, and, surprisingly, quite aerodynamic with a coefficient of drag of just 0.33.
Initially, Alfa Romeo offered only the Giulia TI (or Turismo Internationale) to buyers looking to purchase a new Berlina. This model used a 1,570cc version of Alfa's respected twin-cam four, which proved far more tractable than the 1,290cc unit used in the prior Giulietta. The Giulia TI had a 5-speed transmission, albeit with column-mounted shifter, and most were equipped with power disc brakes all around (though the earliest models still used Alfin drums). The TI was an entertaining car to drive with fine handling and a sophisticated demeanor, but details like its drab steering wheel, functional but mundane instruments, and column-mounted shifter did little to inspire owners to wring out the potential of the chassis. Alfa Romeo provided buyers with a Giulia Berlina of more obviously sporting intent by introducing the Giulia Super.
The Super, introduced in 1965, featured twin Weber carburetors to replace the TI's single Solex, and it had a lovely dash with big dials for the speedometer and tachometer. The column shift was replaced by a floor shift, and power was up slightly compared with the TI. Not to be confused with the Super, a truly racy Giulia Berlina derivative called the TI Super was offered for homologation purposes in 1963. With just 501 produced, it was substantially lighter and more powerful than the initial Berlinas.
The last Giulia Berlinas brought to the U.S. came over in 1967, but the charming sedans continued in production throughout other parts of the world. Though Americans were only offered the 1.6-liter engined TI and Super, other countries could also order Giulia Berlinas with 1.3-liter versions of the all aluminum four. A minor restyling in 1974 saw a name change to Giulia Nuova (or new in English), and there was even a diesel version introduced to some markets for 1976. In the U.S., where the Giulia name disappeared from the market after just a few years, enthusiasts could still purchase what was essentially a Giulia Berlina with larger engine by buying a later 1750 Berlina or 2000 Berlina.
The Giulia Berlina proved that Alfa Romeo could follow up its successful Giulietta Berlina with a worthy replacement that continued to define the term sports sedan as it battled with BMW. The more famous automobiles of the Giulia series, though, were not sedans at all.
Like the Giulietta before it, the Giulia was offered in Sprint (coupe) and Spider (convertible) configurations in addition to the bread-and-butter Berlina models. While the 105-series Giulia sedans offered an all-new car for 1962, the transition from Giulietta Sprint and Spider to Giulia Sprint and Spider was gentler.
The later Giuliettas belonged to the 101-series of Alfa Romeos, and the earliest Giulia Sprints and Spiders also belonged to this series before the coupe and convertible versions of the 105 body were finalized. The transitional 101-series Giulias were essentially Giuliettas with 1,570cc engines installed. The 101 Giulia Sprint looked identical to the 101 Giulietta Sprint, while the 101 Giulia Spider could be distinguished by the raised area of its hood (disguised as a fake hood scoop) needed to clear the slightly taller engine.
In 1963, the 105-series Giulia coupe arrived, named Sprint GT and styled by Giorgetto Giugiaro during his time at Bertone. The primary features of the chassis, including its disc brakes, front A-arm suspension, and live rear axle, were all shared with the 105 Berlina models as well as the Spider models that were still a few years away. Much like the Berlina, Alfa Romeo sold the Sprint GT in many different trim levels, with both 1.3-liter and 1.6-liter engines, though all U.S. cars used the 1.6-liter engines. Also like the Berlina, production of what was essentially still the Giulia Sprint continued even after the Giulia title was dropped.
In the United States, the Sprint GT became the Sprint GTV in 1967. Alfa Romeo did not import cars to the U.S. for 1968, but in 1969 the importation of a lightly restyled Giulia coupe continued as the 1750 GTV and later 2000 GTV.
In addition to the regular production versions of the Giulia Sprint, several specialty models were produced. About 1,000 examples of a Sprint-based cabriolet with four seats, called the Giulia GTC, were produced by Touring beginning in 1965 before the two-seat 105 Spider was introduced. For the track, Zagato created highly successful racing cars with the 105-series platform by building the tube-framed TZ (Tubolare Zagato) and later TZ2 with its fiberglass body.
The TZ and TZ2 were excellent racers with stunning and low-slung bodies, but perhaps even more remarkable than these purpose-built racing machines was the GTA, which was almost identical in appearance to the Sprint GT yet proved itself as one of the most successful sports cars raced during its time. The GTA used lightweight aluminum body panels, twin sparkplugs per cylinder, a higher compression ratio, and bigger Weber carburetors to create a supremely capable vehicle. The Giulia GTA won the European Touring Car Championship in 1966, 1967, and 1968. Variations of the GTA included a smaller-engined 1300 GTA and the later GTAm, which had a downright frightening appearance thanks to its menacing fender flares and fat tires.
The Spider version of the 105-chassis finally arrived in 1966, with somewhat controversial styling by Pininfarina. Never officially labeled a Giulia, the Spider was the longest-running model of the 105-series despite its late start. Incredibly, Spider production didn't end until 1993.
It can be difficult to keep track of all of the different Giulia models and 105-series derivations. Open and closed cars, two-doors and four-doors, bodies made of steel, aluminum, and even fiberglass, designs from Bertone, Pininfarina, Touring, Zagato, and Alfa Romeo itself—clearly, the Giulia's history was rich and complicated, full of superb family sedans and successful racing cars. All of these disparate models had something in common, though: they were pure, honest, unfettered Alfa Romeos. And they were some of the finest and most successful postwar cars, both on track and in the showroom, that the company ever produced.
'Alfa Romeo models.' CarsfromItaly.net n. pag. Web. 21 Dec 2010. http://carsfromitaly.net/fiat/index.html.
From 29 June to 2 July, West Sussex will host one of the most prestigious events of international motor sports – Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017. Making an appearance will be rare classic Alfa Romeo,...
There is a direct translation for the good life in just about every language, and today la dolce vita pervaded the air at practice sessions for the Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion where Italian car...