1933 Packard 1005 Twelve news, pictures, specifications, and information
There was a major change in Packard styling and chassis design for 1933, which brought across-the-board usage of V-type radiators with thermostatic shutters and painted shells, skirted fenders and new controlled body ventilation (a concept similar to Fisher Body's 'No-Draft'). V-12 powered Convertibles such as this Series 1005 Custom Twelve were built from 1932 until 1939 and were typically catalogued as Convertible Roadsters.
Packard had re-introduced a twelve-cylinder car in 1932 as the 'Twin Six' but changed that designation to simply the 'Twelve' for 1933 - the Tenth Series Packard.
In the early 1930s, Packard was the most sought after luxury quality automoible made in America. Dusenbergs were considered equal in quality, but cost three to four times as much. This car was the first of the 50 12-cylinder convertible coupes made in 1933, indicated by the serial number 693-11. It was displayed at that year's Chicago Auto Show and was restored in 2005.
The 1005 series Packards were built on a 142-inch wheelbase chassis. Body styles that were offered included this handsome convertible coupe, which was sold new by the famed west coast Packard dealer Earl C. Anthony of Los Angeles. For 1933 only 520 total Packard Twelve's were sold. It's estimated 50 of those were convertible coupes; 16 survive today.
The 1933 V-12 coupe sold new for $4,500. It weighed 5,500 lbs with a 142 inch wheelbase. It came with a 445 cubic-inch engine generating 160 horsepower. There were 50 V-12 Convertible Coupe Roadsters produced in 1933. This car was delivered on January 27, 1933 in Los Angeles, California. It is one of 14 accounted for.
The current owners purchased the car several years ago and are completing a total restoration of the car. It has been a winner at many concours events throughout the country. Final restoration of this car occurred in 2004-2005. Prior restoration (1984-1987) was limited to 80 percent of the vehicle. Sixteen 1933 Packard Twelve's in this style are registered by the Classic Car Club of America.
This V-12 Convertible Coupe rides on a 142-inch wheelbase, weighs in at 5,160 pounds and originally cost $4,000.
In 1933, Packard produced 244 Model 1005 Twelve Packards with ten different body styles on a 142-inch wheelbase. This 1005 Coupe/Roadster weighs 5,160 pounds and sold for $3,850.
This was the second year for the new V-12, 445.5 cubic inch engine developing 160 horsepower. The factory claimed a sustained 100 mph was well within the new V-12's capabilities, but that was under test conditions; the 160-hp engine usually ran out of breath at about 90 mph. At 60 to 70 mph, it was whisper quiet and highly refined.
Lavine Restoration of Nappanee, IN, completed a 2002 restoration.
Chassis Num: 1005 14
Engine Num: 901317
Sold for $275,000 at 2009 Gooding & Company
The Tenth Series Packards were introduced on January 6th of 1933 at the Astor Hotel in New York City, NY. This series would remain in production until August of the following year. Just like the Ninth Series of 1932, the 10th series was available with eight- or twelve cylinder engines. This also marked the first time that Packard described their 12-cylidner engine as a 'Twelve' rather than the single Twin six of previous years.
The Tenth Series of Packards were available in two models, the 1005 that rode a wheelbase that measured 142-inches, and the 1006 which had a 147-inch wheelbase. Between these two versions, there were around 520 examples of the twelve-cylinder Tenth Series cars produced.
Differences between the 9th and 10th series cars were many, such as more rounded bodies due in part to their window glass being moved. This re-positioning made it flusher with the exterior surface and Packard claimed it reduced noise by as much as 50-percent.
There were 244 examples of the Model 1005 cars produced in 1933, and this example is a 1005 Twelve Touring and wears body number 630. It has seating for up to seven individuals which it can do through the use of jump seats that fold down from the rear surface of the front seats. Many believe that this may be the sole example of a Packard 1005 Touring car ever produced. It was the 14th example of the twelve-cylinder 1005 produced, and it was delivered to its first owner on March 25th of 1933. Since the late 1970s, it has had only two owners. It was shown at the Classic Car Club of America's Rocky Mountain Grand Classic in July of 1984 where it scored 98 points.
Near the close of 1984, it was sold to its current owner; it has not been shown outside the mid-west since that time. It has been shown at a few local concours events and at the Meadow Brook Concours.
It is painted in two-tone color scheme of navy blue and white paint. The undercarriage and wheels are light blue highlighted by identically toned pinstripes along the fenders and hood. There are whitewall tires and a Packard swan hood ornament.
There are four-wheel vacuum-assisted mechanical drum brakes, a three-speed synchromesh gearbox, and a 67-degree, L-head, V-12 engine that displaces 446 cubic-inches.
In 2009, this 1005 Twelve Touring Packard was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $450,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $275,000 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
This 1933 Packard Twelve Club Sedan is a low mileage example that has been restored to its original color as part of a full body-off restoration. The first time it was shown in public was at the 2009 Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance.
Chassis Num: 901241
Engine Num: 64113
High bid of $120,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
Sold for $159,500 at 2010 RM Auctions
This Packard Model 1005 Five-Passenger Sport Phaeton is a former AACA Senior, Preservation and Grand National Award winner. Power is from the 445 cubic-inch V12 offering 160 horsepower. There is a three-speed selective synchromesh manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical brakes. The wheelbase measures 142-inches.
The Tenth Series Packard Twelve models rested along two basic wheelbase lengths, able to accommodate an array of factory-built and custom body designs. There were nine possible body styles available on the 142-inch Model 1005 chassis. The 147-inch Model 1006 was graced by three open and three closed designs by Dietrich, plus a number of custom bodies by Brunn and other coachbuilders of the era. Production was limited, totaling just 520 examples.
The Five-Passenger Sport Phaeton was priced from $4,090 and weighing nearly 5,200 pounds. It has an older restoration that remains highly presentable in modern time. There is a tan cloth top, a tan interior and a number of period accessories including a grille guard, dual Pilot-Ray lamps, dual side-mounted spare tires, dual spotlights and a rear-mounted luggage rack.
In 2009, this example was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $400,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot failed to sell after reaching a high bid of $120,000.
The car returned to auction in 2010 at RM Auctions Amelia Island sale in Florida. The estimate was set at $200,000 - $275,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $159,500, inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010
High bid of $225,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
With the introduction of the Tenth Series Packard for 1933, the Twelve was built on a new tapered frame (a more rigid X-braced frame) and came with many refinements, including a single dry-plate clutch and optional freewheeling, driver-adjustable power brakes, and a Stromberg carburetor that now included an automatic choke as well as a fast-idle circuit.
This example is a 2/4-Passenger Coupe Roadster. It is one of 50 original examples produced and one of 20 still believed to remain in existence. It is finished in a two-tone exterior finish in red and silver, and accented by a red beltline rib. It has an older restoration which is still presentable in modern time.
In 2009, this example was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $325,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot failed to sell after reaching a high bid of $$225,000.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2009
This Packard 1005 Twelve, formerly called the Twin Six, wears Convertible Victoria coachwork by Dietrich. Ray Dietrich was Packard's most influential stylist in the early classic era, and his custom creations rapidly became production offerings. The Convertible Victoria gained popularity by moving rumble seat passengers inside.
Sold for $291,500 at 2012 Gooding & Company
Sold for $374,000 at 2014 RM Auctions
This Tenth Series Twelve Coupe Roadster was sold to Earle C. Anthony's Packard dealership in Los Angeles, CA on June 28th of 1933. It was purchased by violinist and big-band leader Paul Pendarvis for the sum of $3,850.
The car was sold in 1945 to Californian Lloyd Langworthy. Two years later, the car was passed to his son Robert when he reached driving age. The car was changed back to his father's name in the 1950s when Robert was conscripted into military service. By 1958, ownership reverted back to Robert.
In the mid-1970s, the car was treated to a professional restoration and finished in brown and beige color combination. In 1976, Robert Langworthy displayed the car at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it earned a class award.
Around 15 years later, the Packard was sold to Larry Harvey. In the early 1990s, the car was treated to a complete mechanical rebuild. During the process, the car was equipped with a high-speed rear end and the engine was rebuilt with a long-stroke crankshaft as well as a host of internal improvements.
Mr. Tom Moretti discovered this car in 1994 and purchased it with the intent of making it his preferred driver. Since then, it has traveled over 20,000 miles.
In 1995, it won a First Place in Primary at a CCCA Grand Classic in Indiana, achieving 98.5 points. Later that year, the Packard earned a First Place in the Senior division at an Illinois Grand Classic with 99.5 points. In 1996, the Coupe Roadster scored a remarkable 99 points in Premier. In 1998, after a two-decade absence, Mr. Moretti enjoyed the pleasure of returning the Coupe Roadster to the lawn at Pebble Beach.
The engine is a 67-degree 473 cubic-inch L-head fitted with a Single Stromberg EE-3 Downdraft Carburetor delivering an estimated 200 horsepower. There is a three-speed synchromesh manual gearbox and four-wheel vacuum-assisted mechanical drum brakes.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car had an estimated value of $350,000 - $425,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $291,500 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
Sold for $352,000 at 2012 RM Auctions
This Packard Twelve Coupe Roadster was sold new through Earle C. Anthony, the sole California Packard distributor from 1915 to 1958 that handled about one in every seven Packard automobiles ever sold. The first owner was Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney David Clark. He was infamous for having been indicted for the 1931 killing of a journalist and another man. He was later acquitted. For reasons unknown, the car became the property of Mr. Gilbert (the high-profile attorney representing Mr. Clark) in 1935. In late-November 1940, Mr. Gilbert passed away, and in April 1941 the Twelve was sold by Mr. Gilbert's widow for $175 to a young Albert J. Dunkel, who lived next door.
Two years later, Mr. Dunkel and his bride-to-be sold the Twelve in order to purchase a 1936 Cadillac Series 60 Sedan. The car remained in California until Mr. Dunkel was able to re-locate it and once again purchase it in mid-January of 1968. The car was later restored to its former glory. In 1994, it completed the CCCA Pacific Northwest CARavan.
The current owner acquired the Twelve soon after in 1995. It won the AACA's Thomas McKean Tour Trophy in 2001. AACA First Junior and Senior Awards followed in 2002 and 2010 respectively. The Twelve has also completed a trio of AACA Glidden Tour events in Georgia, Michigan and Virginia.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the RM Auction's Amelia Island sale. It was estimated to sell for $250,000 - $300,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $352,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Sold for $110,000 at 2012 RM Auctions
This Club Sedan Model 1005 was owned from the early-1950s until the early-to-mid-1990s, by A.F. Mittermaier, of Fort Wayne, Indiana. It passed through a succession of owners in the 1990s until being acquired by William Ruger Jr. from Joe Morgan in the late-1990s. Fran Roxas was commissioned to perform a repaint in the original blue color. The interior was re-upholstered in the original style, the chassis cleaned up, and the leaf springs were disassembled, smoothed, oiled, and finished with English-style gaiters for better operation. The engine has around 50,000 miles and has never been disassembled, except for a valve job. The headlights and horns have been re-plated.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the St. Johns sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $80,000 - $130,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $110,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
In January 1933 Packard launched the Tenth Series Packards, and the Twin Six from 1932 became the Twelve. The shorter 1933 Twelve had a 142-inch wheelbase and was available with 11 different body styles. One of the rarest and most desirable body styles fitted to the Model 1005 Packard Twelve chassis is this elegant 2/4-Passenger Coupe Roadster; fewer than 20 of the original 50 examples are believed to remain in the world.
Chassis Num: 638-14
Engine Num: 901263
Sold for $220,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company
Packard built 520 examples of their top-of-the-line Twelve in 1933 in a generous range of catalogue and custom body styles. Just five examples of the 2-4 Passenger Coupe were built. They featured sporting lines, golf door, and rumble seat which it shared with the Convertible Coupe.
This Model 1005 Coupe Tenth Series Twelve has a history that dates back to October 27th of 1933, when it was sold new to Earle C. Anthony's Packard distributor in Los Angeles.
This is Packard Vehicle Number 638-14, making it the fourth coupe built on the 142 inch wheelbase platform, with each 1933 coachwork sequence beginning with body number 11.
In 1961, the car was discovered by Long Beach-area collector Dr. Harley Deere in Woodland, California. In the 1970s, Dr. Deere began to restore the Packard Coupe, but the project was ultimately put aside and the work never completed.
In September of 1986, Larry Justice, of Seattle, became the car's next owner. Beginning in 1987, Mr. Justice performed a comprehensive cosmetic and mechanical restoration, refinishing the coachwork in its current two-tone blue color scheme. The inside was upholstered in gray wool broadcloth. There are enclosed metal spares, Trippe driving lights, wide whitewall tires, and the 'Goddess of Speed' radiator mascot.
The restoration work was completed in the summer of 1987. It made its debut at the CCCA Pacific Northwest Grand Classic and received a perfect 100-point score as well as first place in the Primary Division. At the 1991 CCCA National meet, the Packard captured first place in the Senior Division, earning badge number 1302S.
Currently, just two of the five original 1933 Model 1005 Twelve Coupes are known to exist.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2013
Chassis Num: 639-60
Engine Num: 9010157
Sold for $418,000 at 2014 RM Auctions
The Twin Six was designed by Cornelius Van Ranst, whose resume included the Cord L-29, and was originally intended for a front-wheel drive Packard. The project never materialized but the engine survived and was transplanted to the chassis of the Deluxe Eight. The engine was a 67-degree vee (an unusual configuration) with its valves positioned nearly horizontal and it was actuated by hydraulic tappets. The combustion chamber was partially in the block, giving rise to the description of a 'modified L-head.' Van Ranst explained the design was 'selected to make the powerplant as compact as possible while leaving adequate room for a horizontal valve mechanism within the vee, and to eliminate the synchronous periods which frequently occur in multi-cylinder engines designed for equal firing intervals.'
With all of its technological advancements, the new Twin Six was destined for success. However, it would attain only modest success. By the close of the year, just 549 examples had been built. For 1933, the Standard Eight and Deluxe Eight were renamed Eight and Super Eight, respectively. The V-12 was simply called the Packard Twelve. Individual Customs were now the province only of the Model 1006 long-wheelbase line. Engineering improvements included a new cruciform chassis frame, an angle-set hypoid differential, three-position headlamps, and new carburetors. The Twelve was mechanically the same as its Twin Six predecessor, but now it had a new single-plate, vacuum-assisted clutch.
Production of the 1933 models ended in August, with just 520 Twelves being built. The Tenth Series Packard's had a shortened model year so the company could concentrate on improvements for 1934. Of those 520 Twelves built, just 50 were coupe roadsters, or what Packard called convertible coupes.
This example, wearing body number 639-10, is one of the final body of that style. It was delivered on August 26th of 1933, just five days after production of the Eleventh Series began. The Berry Motor Car Company, of St. Louis, handled the sale.
In 1996, the current owner acquired this car from Dennis Sobieski, after the completion of a four-year, no-expense-spared rebuild. It is finished in dark red paint with a beige leather interior. It has earned Best of Show at the Barrington, Illinois, concours and the Glenmoor Gathering in Ohio, and it was judged Best Packard at Cincinnati's Ault Park Concours d'Elegance. It was selected as Most Elegant Full Classic at the second annual Celebration of Automobiles at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May 2012.
The car rides on wide whitewalls on chrome wire wheels. There are dual side-mounts with metal covers, with each carrying a mirror. Pilot Ray driving lights are mounted to the front bumper. The convertible top is tan canvas, and the side windows are equipped with glass wind wings.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014
Sold for $242,000 at 2011 RM Auctions
This Packard is a 2/4-Passenger Coupe Roadster of which less than 20 of the 50 original examples built remain in existence. The current owner purchased this car in January of 2002 from Packard dealer Tom Crook of Seattle, Washington. Lorin Tryon, the well-known Packard collector, once owned it as well.
The car is finished in blue with a tan convertible top with blue upholstery and matching carpeting, along with wood-grain dash and door caps. It wears an older restoration and has been updated with a 12-volt electrical system, updated fuel-system plumbing to prevent vapor lock, and a Gear Vendors overdrive unit providing up to six forward speeds. The original generator remains in place but has been disconnected in favor of a 12-volt/alternator electrical system.
In 2011, this car was offered for sale at the Arizona Auction presented by RM Auctions where the lot was sold for the sum of $242,000 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2014
In competition with Cadillac's V12 and V16, Packard reintroduced a twin-six for 1932 and called it a twelve-cylinder car in 1933. By 1934 it displaced 445.5 cubic-inches, produced 160 horsepower and was said to be good for 100 mph, which some experts believe is a bit optimistic. In spite of its size, the Packard engineers took pride in designing it to be so quiet that you could not hear it idling.
Packard initiated major changes in styling and chassis design for 1933 including a 'V' style radiator, skirted fenders and thermostatic shutters. About 244 12-cylinder Packards of 10 different body styles were produced for that year.
This car was sold new at Packard of New York, Bronx Division. It was then purchased by a very early car collector, Bennie Goldflies, who kept it for about 25 years. He then sold it to another collector, Tom Lester of Chagren Falls, Ohio, who also had it for about 25 years. Then it went to a California collector for another 25 years. This is a very low ownership for this original 12-cylinder Dietrich Packard. It has recently had a freshened restoration.
Chassis Num: 638-14
Engine Num: 901263
Sold for $220,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company
The Packard Twelve was produced from 1933 to 1939 with over 35,000 cars built. Just five of the 1933 1005 Twelve Coupes were made, and now only two are known to exist. The V12-engined cars featured sporting lines, a golf door, and a rumble seat, which it shared with the Convertible Coupe. This is the fourth Coupe built and it has a history that dates back to October 27, 1933, when it was sold new to Earle C. Anthony's Packard distributor in Los Angeles.
Packard re-introduced a 12-cylinder motor in 1932. Called the 'Twin Six' after its predecessor, it was changed simply to 'Twelve' for 1933. It was built on two wheelbases - 142 inches and 1947 inches.
Both were powered by what many automobile aficionados believe was the finest twelve-cylinder motor of the Classic Era: Packard's 445.5 cubic-inch masterpiece that developed 160 horsepower.
Twenty different body styles were available in the Packard Twelve series, including this sporty seven-passenger phaeton.
This Packard has been in the same family for 60 years, having been acquired by the current owner's father in 1954 for $950. It is recognized as a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America.
Sold for $440,000 at 2015 Gooding & Company
In 1933, the Packard V-12 powered models received a name change, from 'Twin Six' to 'Twelve.' They also received improved cooling, clutch, and suspension modifications.
This particular example has a known history that dates back to 1951, when it was purchased by E.C. 'Charlie' Last of Pasadena, California. In the 1950s, Mr. Last opened 'E.C. Last Automotive' in Alhambra, California. Mr. Last restored this car with a number of unique updates that are documented in an article from the May 1958 issue of Motor Trend.
The changes included the addition of hydraulic brakes, and a drawer that spanned across the car using the golf bag door opening, and an additional second fuel tank installed in the rear of the car. The fuel tank was designed to accept either methane or gasoline with just the twisting of a few valves. The car was given auxiliary gauges for the fuel system and an upgraded generator that powered a loudspeaker system. 16-inch wheels were installed to lower the center of gravity and improve handling.
Mr. Last sold the car on January 29th of 1973 for the sum of $2,500. It was purchased by Walt Shearer of California. In Shearer's possession the Packard received extensive work, including an interior and top. The Twelve was sold to Terry Johnson of Englewood, Colorado, in 1998, who had the car painted in its current paintwork in 2012. At that time, the engine was rebuilt.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
Chassis Num: 901536
Sold for $302,500 at 2015 Barrett-Jackson
This Packard 12, Series 1005 Convertible Sedan was given a restoration in the late 1980s. Mr. Gordon Apker of Kent, WA purchased this vehicle from the drummer of the band 'Three Dog Night' in 1974, and performed its restoration. It was built near the close of 1933 and at the time of the restoration, was original and had never been taken apart. It had a light green interior and still wore the delivery tag on the cowl from Earl C. Anthony, who was the Packard distributor for the southwestern part of the United States. After the restoration, it was finished in black with a black top and given bright orange body molding and an orange leather interior. In 1991, it was shown and judged at the Grand Classic where it won a first-place award in the Primary Division with a score of 99.5 points. The car's next owner was the Blackhawk Collection in California, where it was displayed in their museum. In 1995, the car was purchased by David Greek of Cincinnati, OH. Mr. Greek showed the car at the 1996 Michigan Grand Classic event in Windsor, Ontario, where it won the Senior Division.
In 2003, the car was purchased by its current caretaker. In 2015, it was brought to the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, Arizona where it found new ownership for the sum of $302,500, which includes the buyer commission.By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2015
Chassis Num: 901136
Engine Num: 901140
Sold for $357,500 at 2012 RM Auctions
Sold for $522,500 at 2017 RM Auctions
This Packard 1005 Twelve, formerly called the Twin Six, wears Convertible Victoria coachwork by Dietrich. Ray Dietrich was Packard's most influential stylist in the early Classic Era and his custom creations rapidly became production offerings. Packard initiated major changes in styling and chassis design for 1933, including a V-style radiator, skirted fenders and thermostatic shutters. About 244 12-cylinder Packards in 10 different body styles were produced that year.
Margaret Emerson Vanderbilt purchased this Packard 12 Victoria from Zell Motor Car Company in Baltimore, Maryland. She gifted it to her son, Albert G. Vanderbilt II, on his 21st birthday along with the family thoroughbred farm. This car became known as The Black Packard with Red Wheels off Sagamore Farms. Mr. Vanderbilt kept the car for eight years. In 1941, James Edward Blake, of Baltimore, acquired it and maintained stewardship for 71 years. The next owner, after many failed attempts, but having communicated with the Mr. Blake regarding the car's provenance, purchased it after Mr. Blake's death in 2012 and sold to the current owner that same year. Margaret Vanderbilt was an heiress of the Bromo Seltzer fortune. Her husband Alfred was the third son of Cornelius Vanderbilt and died a heroic death by giving his life vest to a woman during the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915. Her life was spared. Sagamore Farms' most significant breeding resulted in Native Dancer. He won 21 of 22 races between 1952 and 1954.
The Packard Twelve was produced from 1933 to 1939 with over 35,000 examples produced. It is considered by many to be one of the finest automobiles produced by Packard and one of the most significant creations of the classic car era. The long and flowing front hood hid a 445 cubic-inch side-valve twelve cylinder engine that was refined, powerful, smooth, and quiet.
The engine was originally destined for a front wheel drive project which eventually proved to have weaknesses. That and the anticipated development cost were too much to be practical so Packard decided to scrap the idea. Cadillac had introduced their 16-cylinder engine and other marques such as Pierce-Arrow were improving the performance of their offerings. Packard was feeling the pressure and decided to place the engine into the Deluxe Eight Chassis and dubbed it the Twin Six. The name was in honor of Packard's achievement fifteen years earlier when the introduced their first 12-cylinder engine. By 1933 the name was changed to Twelve to be inline with the rest of the Packard models.
Most of the Packard production Twelve's received factory bodies. Only a handful received custom coachwork by such greats as LeBaron and Dietrich.
In 1935 Packard introduced more horsepower and mechanical improvements. The suspension became more plush and comfortable while the steering became easier to operate. The cars were designed and built as one unit including the fenders, running boards, hood and body.
1936 the final year for 17 inch wire wheels and the double blade bumpers with hydraulic dampers.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
Recent Vehicle Additions
|Lancia Named 2016 Best of Show|
|PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 21, 2016) — The 2016 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance concluded with first-time entrant Richard Mattei lifting the top prize high overhead soon after his 1936 Lancia Astura Pinin Farina Cabriolet was named Best of Show at the prestigious competition.
When the award was announced, it took Mattei a moment to grasp the accomplishment: 'I was just happy to be an entrant at Pebble Beach—and now to get an award, and not just one, but three!' His Lancia won its cl...[Read more...]|
|15 Exciting Collector Automobiles to Watch During This January's Scottsdale, Arizona Car Week Auctions|
|Scottsdale, Arizona (January 13th, 2016) – Astute Collectors of the world's most sought after and most valuable automobiles know that Scottsdale, Arizona in January is where the market values for collector cars are established each year. As such, they make it primary lifestyle destination and year in and year out it is the one of only a select group of internationally recognized locations that provides all the fundamental essentials that attract the best buyers and sellers from around the world....[Read more...]|
|Recently Discovered Sports Cars Lead Gooding & Company's Early Highlights for their Annual Pebble Beach Auctions|
|SANTA MONICA, Calif. (May 9, 2014) - Gooding & Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance®, will be hosting its annual Pebble Beach Auctions on August 16 and 17. As summer on the California coast draws near, the world turns to Gooding & Company as an industry leader with its unique auctions featuring carefully selected and curated collector cars. The 2014 offering at the Pebble Beach Equestrian Center will be no exception with an early preview led by three...[Read more...]|
|63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'|
|The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity.
'This Pack...[Read more...]|
|Brass and Classic Era Automobiles Set to Shine at RM's Annual Hershey Sale|
|• RM Auctions returns to Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 10–11, for its well-established Hershey sale
• Two-day auction presents more than 100 automobiles, with a focus on exceptional Brass and Classic Era motor cars
• Coinciding with the popular AACA Eastern Regional Fall Meet, the sale is a highlight of the meet weekend
• Frequently updated list of entries available online at rmauctions.com
BLENHEIM, Ontario (July 30, 2013) – RM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction ...[Read more...]|