1960 Aston Martin DB4 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Chassis Num: DB4/342/R
Engine Num: 370/362
When the Aston Martin DB4 was debuted in 1958, it was instantly apparent that the British could rival (or even best) their Italian rivals at creating the ultimate Gran Turismo. The touring-styled car would have a very long production career, lasting until 1970 with only minor revisions along the way.
Under the bonnet was a Tadek Marek designed, all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft six-cylinder engine with 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92x92mm. Total displacement equaled 3670cc and maximum horsepower was reached at 5500rpm offering 240 bhp. The entire package was mounted on a multi-tubular spaceframe structure with unequal-length wishbones in the front and a conventional live axle located by a Watts linkage in the rear.
Heavy-duty bumpers were added after the first 50 cars left the factory. The 2nd series arrived in January of 1960. The Series II cars included a front-hinged bonnet, larger brake calipers and an enlarged sump. The Series III had separate rear lights, two bonnet stays and a many interior updates. The Series IV, produced from September of 1961 through October of 1962, had a new grille with seven vertical bars, shallower bonnet intake and recessed rear lights. The Series V had 3.5-inches more in length which gave more room to the occupants and more trunk space. 15-inch wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel were also new to the Series V cars.
This car is a DB4 Series 2. It is a left-hand drive model and one of a mere 249 SII produced. There is a larger hood scoop and a green exterior paint scheme with matching cream leather interior. It has been well cared for over the years and in its present ownership for many years.
In 2007 this DB4 was brought to Bonhams auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia
, at the Quail Lodge Resort & Golf Club in Carmel, California. It was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $200,000 but failed to find an interested buyer willing to satisfy the reserve. This was very surprising, as the Pebble Beach Concours, happening just miles away, was featuring the Aston Martin Company as one of their celebrated events. It was assumed this car would inspire excessive bidding feeding from the Pebble Beach enthusiasm. Sadly, this lot was unsold.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
Sold for $231,000 at 2009 Gooding & Company
This 1960 Aston Martin DB4 left the Newport Pagnell factory in England in March of 1961. It was delivered into the care of its original owner who was a resident of Germany. It is a rare and original left-hand drive DB4 that returned back to the factory by 1964. While there, the original engine was removed and a new motor was installed, along with a latest-style sump and oil cooler. Aston martin subsequently changed the chassis tag to reflect the changes made.
Later in the cars life, it was brought to California and in 1993 it received an extensive mechanical overhaul. The engine was completely rebuilt and the transmission stripped, inspected and rebuilt where necessary. A high-performance suspension kit was fitted and vintage specification carburetors and air box were installed. A few years later, the wheels were completely rebuilt and the car was fitted with competition style seatbelts.
In the early 2000s, a full suspension and brake rebuilt was performed on the car. In 2006, the car received some cosmetic updates including fresh paint and upholstery.
In 2009, this Aston Martin was offered for sale by Gooding & Company at their Pebble Beach auction. The car was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $325,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $231,000, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2010
Sold for $330,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company
The Aston Martin DB4 was produced between 1958 and 1963 and underwent a variety of subtle changes during that time. This example, chassis number DB4/458/L, is a Series II car, of which only 351 examples were built.
The DB4 has a modern tube-frame chassis, four-wheel disc brakes, and a 3.7-liter straight-six engine. This example wears Superleggera coachwork by Touring of Milan. It was originally completed in the summer of 1960 and finished in Desert White over a black Connolly leather interior. It was specified for export and constructed with a left-hand drive configuration, a 3:54:1 rear-axle ratio, Smiths instruments, KLG spark plugs and fully chromed road wheels with Avon Turbospeed tires.
The car was delivered through Mirabeau to Andre Fontaine, who resided in the Place de la République in Paris. The car remained in M. Fontaine's care for two decades then was exported to the United States and to its second recorded owner, Roland Pallas of San Rafael, California. It is believed that while in Mr. Pallas care, the car was refinished in its current shade of silver.
The current owner purchased the car in 1988. The following year, the car was driven from the Los Angeles area to Laguna Seca and back for the Aston Martin tribute at the annual Monterey Historic Automobile Races.
After that, the car was put into static state for two decades. The car has had only three owners since new, has 92,905 km, and retains its original leather upholstery and matching-numbers engine.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale by Gooding & Company at their Scottsdale, Az. auction. The car was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $400,000. The car found new ownership for the sum of $330,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2012
Sold for $495,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company
Sold for $445,500 at 2013 Gooding & Company
Sold for $555,500 at 2017 Gooding & Company
The original owner of this DB4 Series II Coupe was Ernest Swigert of Portland, Oregon. The coachwork is by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan and powered by Tadek Marek's powerful new engine. The car was ordered on August 26th of 1959 through North Country Motors of Long Island, New York and specified with Snow Shadow Grey livery with a red leather interior. Other options included a radio, dual wing mirrors, chrome wheels and the 3.54:1 rear differential ratio.
This car is one of 351 second-series DB5 examples that were produced between January 1960 and April 1961. This car was also chosen by J.S. Inskip, the American importer, for use at the New York International Auto Show in April of 1960.
After the NY Auto Show, Mr. Swigert took delivery of his car. Ownership passed to Oregon resident Earl Grove in the early 1970s. After this point, the recorded history disappears until the late 1990s, when the car came into the possession of a San Francisco dealer of fine motorcars. Acquired in 2002 by John Jordan of Potomac, Maryland, it was treated to a comprehensive restoration that featured a major engine upgrade. The engine displacement size rose to 4.2 liters and was given triple SU carburetors. The bored-out engine was rated at 303 horsepower, which was a significant increase over the stock 266 horsepower. The DB4 GT models produce 302 horsepower.
Along with the engine work, a body restoration and bare-metal repaint was performed in 200, as well as significant refurbishment of the chassis in 2005. The current owner acquired the car in 2008.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at Pebble Beach presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $325,000 - $375,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $495,000 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2012
Chassis Num: DB4/347/L
Engine Num: 370/367
Gearbox Num: S432/3/444
Sold for $632,500 at 2013 RM Auctions
David Brown's first DB2 series of road cars, produced from 1949 through 1958, were largely based upon pre-war technology. The DB4, however, was a totally new and thorough modern motor car. They made their introduction at the 1958 London Motor Show to rave reviews. The monocoque, punt-type chassis, developed under Harold Beach, featured a coil-over A-arm front suspension with an anti-sway bar and a live rear axle located by trailing arms and a proper Watts linkage. The coachwork by Carrozzeria Touring was in the company's lightweight Superleggera
process. A skeleton of small diameter steel tubing supported the all-alloy body paneling, creating a rigid and very light structure. Though they were styled by Touring, the DB4's fastback body was actually produced by Aston Martin's own skilled panel beaters in Newport Pagnell.
Powering the DB4 was an alloy six-cylinder dual overhead cam unit which displaced 3670 cubic centimeters and developed approximately 240 horsepower. It was designed by Czech-born Tadek Merak and would enjoy a long life powering the DB4, DB4 GT, DB5 and DB6 series of road cars. The alloy-cased, four-speed synchromesh gearbox was designed in-house and built by David Brown's gear and machine tool division. Brakes were either Dunlop or Girling depending on the model.chassis 347/L
This car was one of only 45 LHD Series II cars and was completed on August 12th of 1960, prior to being dispatched to Montreal, Canada's Aston dealer, Budd & Dyer. The car was sold to the first owner, the proprietor of Percy Dress Inc. on 460 St. Catherine Street West in Montreal, and registered on June 12, 1961. It is not known how long this DB4 remained with the first owner in Quebec, but, by 1979, it was acquired from the second owner, the Performance Garage in Ontario, by the current restorer. The new owner commenced a total body and mechanical restoration, which was to occupy the best part of a decade, being completed in 2008.
The car earned a First Place in the DB4 class (2008) and the Elite class (2009) at the Lime Rock Park Aston Martin Owners Club Meeting. Further wins at British Car Day in Bronte Park, Ontario, as well as First Place in the 2012 Marques d'Elegance at Paletta Mansion in Burlington, Ontario, confirm the car's current condition.
Since the restoration, the car has travelled around 4,000 miles.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
Sold for $550,000 at 2014 Gooding & Company
This Aston Martin DB4 features a modern chassis, four-wheel disc brakes, a dual overhead cam straight six engine, and superleggera
coachwork by Touring of Milan. Production of the DB4 spanned from 1958 to 1963 and during that time the model underwent a variety of subtle changes in trim and proportion over five series.
This example is a Series II car of which just 351 examples were hand-built. The car was dispatched to Plimley Motors of Vancouver, BC, in late November 1960 and was first sold in January of 1961. The car left the factory finished in Desert White over a red Connolly leather interior and give left-hand drive. It was equipped with a Motorola radio, Marchal fog lamps, and fully chromed road wheels fitted with Dunlop RS5 tires. The rear axle ratio is 3.54:1, higher than was typical for its US-bound counterparts.
The first owner was Herbert Matson of Victoria, BC. Within the first year of service, the car was sold to Dr. McLennan of New Westminster, BC.
The car was eventually sold to a new caretaker in Europe, eventually coming to France by 1995, spending its next nine years in the custody of M. Dulac. Reportedly, under M. Dulac's ownership, the DB4 received an engine upgrade to 4.2-liter displacement and was fitted with a triple SU carburetor setup as were the Vantage-spec cars of later series. In 2004, it was acquired by M. Bossut and received Parisian plates.
The car has been re-painted in its original color but still retains the original red hides fitted at the factory.
The current owner acquired the car in 2013 and had it imported to the United States.
The car now has a Becker Europa radio, and the dash features a pair of analog stopwatches. The car has its large hood scoop, eggcrate grille, and Lucas cathedral taillights.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014
Chassis Num: DB4/395/R
Engine Num: 370/390
Sold for $462,000 at 2014 RM Auctions
Sold for $346,500 at 2017 Bonhams
The Aston Martin DB4, a replacement for the DB Mark III, was launched in 1958 and was the first Aston martin to be built at the company's then-new Newport Pagnell factory. It was given a number of new components and manufacturing processes that would continue to influence the cars that would leave Newport Pagnell for many years.
Harold Beach was tasked with creating the chassis design, creating the company's first pressed-steel-type frame. Power was from a 3.7-liter, twin-cam inline six-cylinder engine that was engineered by Tadeck Mareck. The block and head were made from lightweight aluminum and was rated at 240 horsepower in standard form. The engine was mated to David Brown's own gearbox, and it had Dunlop disc brakes fitted at all four corners.
The elegant and sporty body was designed by Carrozzeria Touring, of Milan. Touring's patented Superleggera technique was used to produce lightweight but sturdy bodies out of aluminum-magnesium, which were wrapped around small-diameter steel tubing. Aston Martin produced the production bodies at their Tickford Works, under license from Touring.
Production of the DB4 lasted for a five-year lifespan, and during that time it underwent numerous running changes
This particular example, chassis number DB4 395R, is considered a Series II example, of which there were 351 built. The second series cars featured modifications to solve certain problems with the early production examples. They also were the last series with the one-piece 'cathedral' tail lamps, the tall bonnet scoop, and the original grille design.
This car was delivered to W.E.C. Knoff, of Dorset, in 1960. It remained with Mr. Knoff for seven years before being sold to Jack Brunwin, of Croydon, England. That same year, Mr. Brunwin - and the car - moved to New Zealand, where it was registered with plate NZ DX6332. After the Brunwin's ownership, the car remained in New Zealand, going through several owners, before it came into the care of its current owner, who purchased it on February 18th of 1986.
The Aston Martin DB4's engine was rebuilt in 1996. After the engine was rebuilt, the Aston Martin returned to its homeland in 1996, where it represented New Zealand on the FIVA World Rally. Since then, the car was stripped down to its bare chassis, and all of the bodywork, which included outfitting the car with all-new, solid front and rear bumpers, was re-finished. The interior was reupholstered in Black Connolly leather, and the exterior was repainted in Almond Green. The car has accumulated just over 5,000 miles since the completion of its engine rebuild in 1996, and just over 100 miles since its recent restoration.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2014
Only 45 left-hand drive 1960 Series II DB4s are listed in the Aston Martin Owners Club Registry. The Registry has DB4s in five series to (roughly) define the minute differences in specification.
The DB4 is a hand-built grand touring car styled by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan but fabricated in England using their patented superleggera body-building method. Under the hood is Aston's own 3.7-liter twin-cam 6-cylinder with 240 horsepower.
Sold for $462,000 at 2015 Gooding & Company
This Aston Martin DB4 Series II is an original left-hand-drive, Touring-bodied example. The car was ordered on May 24th of 1960, through English car distributor Charles Hornburg of Los Angeles, California. It was ordered in California Sage Green over beige Connolly leather, and given optional chrome wire wheels, Avon Turbospeed whitewall tires, Motorola models 319 radio, 17-inch steering wheel, and a DB4 owner's kit. The car's guarantee was issued on August 20, 1960, and the DB4 was shipped to its first owner, William H. Harrig of Fulton, Alabama.
William Melvin acquired the car in April of 1968, and used it as regular transportation until the early 1980s, when it was retired and stored on his property. Over a 24 year period, the car acquired 78,000 miles on its odometer. In the late 1960s or early 1970s, the car was repainted and re-upholstered.
Currently, the car has a period-installed air-conditioning system (manufactured by Overseas Motors Corp. of Fort Worth), and an aircraft-style four-point driver's harness.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
First unveiled at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, the Aston Martin DB4 is a very traditional English grand touring car. With ample room and ample power, it is wrapped in a discreet, yet sporting body by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan.
The construction of the car consists of a superleggera tubular-frame chassis under an all-aluminum, hand-beaten body, and fitted with a state-of-the-art 3.7 liter double overhead cam straight-six engine producing 240 horsepower. The DB4 has the performance credentials to match its sporting good looks.
In 1960, concerns about overheating gave rise to the Series II, which sported improvements such as a larger oil sump, larger front disc brakes, and chrome surrounds for aerodynamic purposes around the passenger windows.
With just four owners from new, this Series II DB4 has recently completed an extensive three-year total restoration. It is painted in the correct Oystershell over a cream interior and has many hard-to-find items. This includes the fitted luggage and an original Motorola radio. This fine example is one of the finest in existence and it has recently won awards in several major national concours events.
Sold for $344,017 (£212,800) at 2011 RM Auctions
High bid of $600,000 at 2015 Keno Brothers. (did not sell)
This Aston Martin DB4 Series 1 is a left-hand drive example that was delivered new via Aston Martin's United States West Coast importer Charles Hornburg. Its first owner was Paul S. Pollack of Los Angeles, California. The factory order recorded that the car was finished in Snow Shadow Grey with a red Connolly leather interior and equipped with chromed wire road wheels when it left the factory.
This Series 1 car is one of approximately 150 examples built. The Series 1 DB4 is unique in that they were the only model in the DB Series to have the front bonnet hinged at the rear, and thus open from the front.
This Touring bodied Sports Saloon was given a complete and thorough restoration in the early 1990s. After the work was completed, the car was used sparingly and mostly for concours use.
Around 2000, Mr. S. Rodd sold the car through Miller Motorcars Aston martin of Greenwich, Connecticut and found its way into the ownership of Mr. Raymond Minella, where it continued to be used sparingly.
Since the restoration was completed in the 1990s, the car has acquired approximately 6,000 miles.
The car was relocated to the United Kingdom for a few years, before returning to New York in 2015.
The car is currently finished in Peony Red over a Mushroom leather interior. It has chromed wire wheels with period-correct Avon cross-ply tires.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
The DB4 was introduced in 1958 and was Aston Martin's first completely new and modern motorcar following World War II. The coachwork was styled by Carrozzeria Touring and produced by Aston Martin's panel fabricators in Newport Pagnell. The sleek fastback design was powered by an all new alloy six-cylinder DOHC engine which powered several subsequent Aston Martin automobiles. This is a fresh restoration of a factory numbers matching example which includes the optional factory AM radio. The car was discovered in Southern California in solid but well worn condition. At some point in its life it was painted a non-period correct metallic gold. The recent rotisserie restoration brought it back to the period correct color of black pearl. The DB4 and its successor, the DB5, are known as wonderful touring cars and are the most iconic of the Aston Martin touring cars.
The DB name came from the name David Brown (later Sir David Brown), an individual who had purchased the Aston Martin Company.
The DB4 series was built from 1958 through 1963. A total of 1040 vehicles and five series were produced during this time frame. The coachwork was performed by Touring of Milan, Italy. The body panels were hand made of aluminum mounted on a steel tube frame and featuring the Superleggera method of construction. Superleggera means super light.
Initially, the DB4 series used disc brakes made by Dunlop but later switched to the Girling made disc brakes. Each of the five series featured improvements, design modifications, and technological enhancements. All of the DB4s received their power from a Tadek Mereck designed, 3670 cc, six-cylinder, all aluminum engine. The 220-240 horsepower engine could propel the car to a top speed of around 140 mph and the go from zero to sixty in just 8.5 seconds. David Brown, the owner of Aston Martin, produced the overdrive transmission.
The standard DB4 body style was the Saloon version; however, the Vantage series could be ordered and featured higher horsepower ratings.
In 1959, Aston Martin introduced the DB4 GT series. This series featured a shorter wheelbase and higher output than the standard DB4 Saloon. Due to the shorter wheelbase there were no rear seats. The engine had three twin-choke Weber Carburetors and twin distributors increasing the output of the standard engine to 302 bhp. This extra horsepower increased the top speed to around 153 mph and the zero-to-sixty time of around six seconds.
Other distinguishable features of the GT series were the exposed, racing style, fuel filer caps located on the rear wings. Perspex headlamp covers adorned the front of the vehicles.
The GT series was produced from 1959 through 1963. During this time period, 75 models were produced. The Italian coachbuilder Zagato was tasked at producing the bodies of 19 of these vehicles.
In 1960 the Zagato bodied cars were introduced at the London Motor Show. These hand-built vehicles were built to outperform Ferrari's. The short wheelbase, light weight construction, 314 horsepower engine, and a top speed of 160 mph made them very competitive.
The DB4 Drophead Coupe was produced from 1961 through 1963. During this time frame, 70 examples were created. They were convertibles built on the DB4 Saloon body style using the same aluminum, Superleggera body construction. The standard six-cylinder 3670 cc engine was now producing 260 horsepower. Thirty-two of the convertibles received the Vantage specifications which increased the output of the engine. The overdrive transmission was also available as an option.
In the 1960's, the DB4 Drophead Coupe was used in the movie 'The Italian Job.'
During the 1980's, an Aston Martin specialist named Richard Williams produced the remaining DB4's using the assistance of the Aston Martin factory and unused chassis.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
Recent Vehicle Additions
|Full Car List Revealed As City Concours Kicks Off This Week|
|•This Thursday and Friday more than 100 of the world's most incredible cars will roar into London's Honourable Artillery Company for the first City Concours
•Star cars range from the Pagani Huarya and Aston Martin Vulcan to early motoring pioneers like the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost 'London to Edinburgh'
•A collection of racing cars forms the 'Built for Speed' feature, including a Maserati 200SI Tipo and Jaguar XJ220C TWR
•Away from the world of four wheels will be a range of superbikes, from t...[Read more...]|
|BMW : May News In Brief|
|•New 520i and 525d engines join BMW 5 Series Saloon line-up.
•BMW 5 Series Touring: three new engines and additional specification.
•BMW 725d – the first four-cylinder 7 Series Saloon in its history.
•Updates to BMW 1 Series and 3 Series, including addition of new M Sport Shadow edition to line-ups.
•New BMW 2 Series Coupé and Convertible.
•Exclusive BMW i8 Protonic Frozen Yellow Edition.
•New upgrades to BMW Navigation now available on a wide range of models.
New 520i and 525d engines ...[Read more...]|
|KIA PARIS SHOW STARS SET TO SHINE IN THE UK|
|◾Upgraded Soul crossover and Carens MPV now on sale in Britain
◾Both models feature revised exterior and interior styling
◾Restructured Soul range now headed by 201bhp Sport model
◾State-of-the-art connectivity systems for both Soul and Carens
◾Improvements in fuel economy and CO2 emissions
◾Soul pricing from £13,995; Sport introduced at £23,250
◾New Carens on sale from £18,995
Two of Kia's Paris Motor Show stars – the 2017 Soul crossover and Carens compact MPV – are now on sale i...[Read more...]|
|KIA AT THE PARIS MOTOR SHOW|
|◾World premiere for the all-new Rio
◾Upgrades to the Soul range include design and technology enhancements
◾Kia launches powerful new 204 ps Soul SX
◾New exterior and interior design for Carens with new technologies
The new Kia Rio makes its world debut in Paris today at the 2016 Mondial de l'Automobile. Alongside the Rio, Kia is also introducing the latest upgraded versions of two of its cars, the Carens and Soul, as well as a new high-powered 'T-GDI' version of the Soul.
World prem...[Read more...]|
|Russo and Steele Collector Car Auctions Kicks off 2014 in a Big Way with Outstanding Results and New World Records at Scottsdale|
|Phoenix, Arizona (January 22, 2014) – At Russo and Steele Collector Car Auctions, we are thrilled to announce the achievement of outstanding results and world-record sales at our January 15-19 Scottsdale, Arizona Sports and Muscle auction event. Throughout the event's five action-packed days, beautiful weather helped draw record attendance numbers, estimated at 35% higher than 2013 levels. At the time of writing, preliminary sale results exceeding $21 million were generated with a very st...[Read more...]|