Sold for $79,560 at 2011 Bonhams. Sold for $126,500 at 2013 Gooding & Company. Sold for $104,500 at 2015 RM Sothebys. The Stutz Bearcat was introduced in 1915 and offered Bearcat performance with a practical body. It was a close-couple touring car for up to four passengers. It was lightweight and weighed just a few hundred pounds more than the Bearcat. Built on a 10-inch longer wheelbase, the Bulldog featured all the mechanical components the Bearcat. The Model K variants offered continued improvement of the four-cylinder, dual-valve T-head engine. The Bulldog was given a modern appearance with its wire wheels, deep fenders, and low bodylines. The Bearcat models were ideal for touring, though many Bulldogs were have been cut-down and modified to be replica Bearcats.
This Bulldog is a correct and original car. The early history is unknown. It was acquired by the Northwest collector Don Short some time in the 1940s. This was his first of many Stutz along with other Brass and Nickel Era cars. Along with being his first Stutz, it was also the one he kept the longest. The car was well-used over his roughly 60-year ownership, including numerous tours. When the time the car was sold from his estate, it was noted to be a nicely preserved example with some original interior.
Ownership later passed to another Northwest collector. Over the next two years, the Stutz underwent a thorough cosmetic restoration. It was painted in black and ochre. The interior has been re-trimmed, with several of the original panels being re-used. The car was finished with a correct type rear trunk mounted just between the body and dual rear spares.
Power is from a 361 cubic-inch T-head 4-cylinder engine fitted with a single Stromberg carburetor. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and two-wheel mechanical drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2013
Sold for $594,000 at 2016 Bonhams. The first owner of this 1921 Stutz was Dr. William A. Hagins of Silver Springs, Maryland. In 1931 he purchased a large farm in Statesboro, Georgia, and drove his Stutz Bearcat over 600 miles to his new home. After the long journey the Stutz was running a little rough and was put away in a barn. Twenty years later, after active duty in the war, Hagins returned to Georgia and set about repairing the Stutz, but soon after he had removed the head and begun work on the car, he passed away. He left his entire estate to his caretaker, who left the car untouched - still up on bricks with its head off. The car was recently discovered by a retired army officer who was hunting on the property. After hearing about it, the current owner visited the farm and was able to purchase the vehicle. The car is totally original, except for its tires - and it now has a new head gasket!
The Stutz Bearcat was produced from 1914 through 1924. The first version was produced from 1914 to 1917 and was powered by a 6388 cc four-cylinder engine. The Bearcat was a creation inspired by a Indy sports car racer built by the Stutz Motor Company in 1911. It was powered by a 361 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine that produced 50 horsepower. The Bearcat continued the tradition of lightweight construction, potent engine, and superior performance. The vehicle utilized an 'underslung' design which allowed the vehicle to be constructed lower than most vehicles, sitting closer to the ground. They were void of any unnecessary amenities, had no doors and only a small 'monocle' windscreen to protect the driver. It weighed just 4500 pounds and rested on a 120 inch wheelbase. There was usually seating for two and no top to protect the driver or passenger from the elements.
In 1912 the Stutz Bearcats proved their potential by winning 25 out of the 30 races in which they were entered. Their slogan was 'The car that made good in one day'. This was a popular slogan and is still remembered by many even to this day. The title was adorned on Harry C Stutz in 1911 when his driver, Gil Anderson, placed 11th at the Indianapolis 500, an amazing accomplishment and one that immediately inspired sales. The car had been built in just five weeks and was the first automobile to bear the name 'Stutz'. At Indianapolis, it had averaged 110 km/h (about 68 mph) and was only beaten by vehicles with engines much larger than its own.
A disgruntled buyer of a Stutz complained to the Stutz Company that Mercer's were beating his car. In response, the Stutz Company set out to be the coast-to-coast record. In 1915, Erwin George 'Cannonball' Baker drove a Bearcat from San Diego to New York in 11 days, 7 hours, and 15 minutes. This broke the previous record. Baker went on to set 143 distance records. Sales continued to climb. A Wall Street investor spear-headed by Allan A. Ryan bought controlling interest in Stutz. This allowed more capital and allowed Stutz to expand their manufacturing facilities. Harry Clayton Stutz sold his interest in the company in 1919. He turned his attention to two new endeavors, the Stutz Fire Engine Company and the H.C.S. Motor Car Company.
The production of the Stutz Bearcat continued until 1924. The car continued its tradition of being a sports car. It was fast and had excellent performance for the era. The clutch was said to be so stiff that it prevented woman from driving the vehicle - many said this was a 'man's car.' The two-wheel mechanical brakes also required much force to operate.
The Stutz Company stayed in business until 1935 when it was forced out of business due to the Great Depression. In 1923, Frederick Ewan Moskowics, became the president of the Stutz Motor Car Company. Under his direction, the company was repositioned as a company that produced elegant sedans renowned for safety. Essentially, he turned the he-man cars into luxury beauties. In 1929 Moskowics resigned and was succeeded by Edgar S. Gorrell. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006