Erich Ledwinka, one of Hans Ledwinka's sons, was responsible for the T97. It was a slightly scaled-down version for the T87 and was almost identical in style. The most obvious difference between the two models is the lack of the sixth window on each side. Unlike its larger sibling, the T97's front windshield is a single flat pane of glass, and it lacks the third front headlight. The T97 is built on a pressed steel platform with a central tube for added strength. Due to the car's aerodynamic efficiency, the T97 could cruise easily at 68 mph with a maximum speed of around 80 mph, which was impressive for the late 1930s. After the outbreak of World War II in 1939, production of the T97 was forbidden, purportedly because of the closeness in design to Ferdinand Porsche's Volkswagen. Only 508 examples of the T97 were produced between 1936 and 1939.