The Thomas Flyer gained fame in 1908 by winning the New York to Paris Race, the first around-the-world automobile race ever held. Founded in 1900 by E.R. Thomas to build motorized bicycles, tricycles and motorcars, in Buffalo, New York, the company launched a touring or 'Tourabout' in 1908, which became known as the 'Thomas Flyer.'
This KC670 Tourabout is a late 1911 model as designated by the 'C' in KC670. The KC model had a number of updates over the previous K670 for the 1911 model year. The factory improvements included an enhanced clutch, the addition of a distributor replacing the Atwater Kent spark unit as well as other internal engine and drivetrain changes all made in an effort to improve the quality of the Thomas and prop up lagging sales.
Despite the quality and celebrity of the Thomas Flyer, chain drive technology was becoming passe, and the KC 6-70 remained in production through the end of 1912. Sales continued to decline and by 1913 all assets were sold at auction. This is the only known remaining 1911 Tourabout. It spent time in the Henry Ford museum and resided for much of its life in the Harrah Collection, where it was fully restored over many years by Harrah's restoration shop manager, Clyde Wade.
The 856 cubic inch six-cylinder engine produces 90 horsepower. Power is transmitted by chain drive.