The history of LeBaron Carrossiers Inc. dates back to 1920. It was founded by two prominent and well known coachbuilders, Thomas L. Hibbard and Raymond Dietrich. The duo established their business at 2 Columbus Circle in New York City. The location was expensive but it did provide the image and prestige they were hoping to ascertain. The name, LeBaron, was chosen because it sounded French and sophisticated.
The New York City office was just that, an office where the design work was done. There were no coachbuilding facilities at this location. This allowed them to segregate their talents from the manufacturer of the chassis and the actual coachbuilding firms.
Soon after the Design Studio opened their doors for business, they were approached by Ralph Roberts from Brewster who was looking for work. Dietrich and Hibbard appreciated his talents and offered him a one-third partnership in the business. In the years to come, both Dietrich and Hibbard left the company they formed to for other opportunities. This left Roberts in charge of the company.
A Detroit based firm named Briggs acquired the LeBaron Company in 1927. Briggs had a well established list of clientele that included marques such as Ford, Chrysler, Hudson and Overland. These connections allowed LeBaron's business to flourish and prosper. Soon, they had attracted work from Cadillac, Pierce Arrow, and Lincoln.