Racing takes money, and by 1950 Ferrari was willing and able to concentrate part of the production towards creating exclusive road going cars for customers who were able to pay for them. His V-12 powered racing cars had created the reputation for durability and performance and hopes were that this would translate into a successful line of exclusive road-going cars.
The Ferrari Type 195 was introduced in 1950 and had many familiar Ferrari design features. The chassis was the tried-and-true Ferrari setup with two oval longerons that were cross-braced by oval tubing. The suspension as comprised of a front unequal-length wishbones, anti-roll bar, and transverse springs. In the rear were semi-elliptic springs and a solid rear axle. Larger 12-inch hydraulically operated aluminum drums with steel liners kept the 2200 pound vehicle in the drivers control.
The potent V12 engine could carry the 195 from zero-to-sixty in under ten seconds and capable of speeds reaching 200 kph. As is the case with Ferrari automobiles, many were brought to the track and raced in competition. Gianinno Marzotto drove his Touring bodied 195 to victory in the 1950 Mille Miglia. It was later brought to LeMans where it led the race before retiring to the sidelines due to a failed generator mount.
The Type 195 had been introduced during the same time as the 212 with the 212 featuring a larger displacement and slightly higher horsepower. So customers with racing intentions often opted for the better suited Type 212. The Type 195 had a suitable mount for the automotive artistry of Touring, Vignale, Ghia, Pinin Farina and others. It had a longer wheelbase with a powerplant worthy of carrying the most elegant and heavy of coachworked bodies. In total there were twenty-seven examples of the 195 created.
The 195 was available in two bodystyles, Inter or Sport. The Inter was similar to the 166 and designed for road use. The Sport sat on a shortened wheelbase, given a more powerful engine, and better suited for competition. The primary difference of the 166 and 195 was the engine displacement size, with the 166 displacing two liters while the 195 displaced 2.4-liters. Only a few 195 vehicles were created, as Ferrari soon introduced the 2.6-liter 212.
The Columbo-designed two-liter 60-degree V12 engine found in the 166, with single overhead camshafts, was enlarged to have a bore of 65mm and a stroke of 58.8. Initially, only one carburetor was fitted, and it was a twin choke downdraught Weber 32 DCF. It was not uncommon for up to three carburetors to be fitted either by the factory or by the buyer. Horsepower was rated at about 130.
Touring was a popular coachbuilder for early Ferrari vehicles used in competition. However, only a few 195 Inter were bodied by the Milanese firm. Most were handled by Vignale and Ghia, both were from Turin. Vignale and Ghia both bodied ten examples.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007