Total Production: 45,000 1917 - 1919
The Cadillac marque quickly earned a reputation for innovative and refined automobiles. Their electric starter and lighting introduced in 1912 revolutionized the industry and made gasoline-powered cars the popular choice over the alternative battery or steam powered cars. In 1915, they introduced another equally impressive innovation, the first mass-produced V8 engine. It was designed by Scottish-born engineer, D. McCall White, and given an L-head design with two cast-iron blocks with integral heads, mounted on an aluminum-copper alloy crankcase. Fork-and-blade connecting rods were used as the banks of cylinders were positioned directly opposite each other.
In the years to come, the engine was continually improved and refined. One of the earlier updates was a manifold redesign and lighter pistons. The chassis, which first featured a left-hand drive configuration in 1915 with the Type 51, also saw improvements. It grew in length and strength during the 1915-1918 period. The tire pump was eventually moved from the engine to the transmission in 1916 and in 1918, detachable cylinder heads were fitted. The transmission was also given a redesign.
The Cadillac Type 57 was introduced for the 1918 model year. They were offered in ten body styles and could be mounted on two wheelbase sizes. Production of the Type 57 ran from August of 1917 through December 1919 with total production exceeding 45,000 cars.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008