Auburn introduced the 6-39 in 1917 and featured a six-cylinder, L-head engine built by the Teetor-Hartley Motor Company. The engine displaced 230.1 cubic-inches and produced 39 horsepower. (Thus, the 6-cylinder, 39 HP engine was the source of this models name). The car was offered as a Roadster and a Tourer and rode on a wheelbase that measured 120 inches. When new, the Touring body style sold for $1,345 in 1917. The 6-39 Auburn featured a new chassis with a tapered frame. This allowed the springs to be underslung, giving the car a lower look in comparison to its predecessors. The touring car offered seating for five passengers and was suitable for the average family use.
As material costs continued to increase, the price of the car followed, causing Auburn sales to slip. Total production for 1917 was 2,307. For 1918, Auburn produced 1,374 followed by 6,062 the following year. 5,034 examples were produced in 1920. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010