With nearly identical overall styling and appearance to the V-8 except for the emblems, the Cadillac 370B was introduced in 1932.
Nearly all of the features were very similar to the 370-A.
With an engine that was basically identical, the fuel feed changed to mechanical from vacuum tank.
A new Cuno disc type self-cleaning oil filter was also mounted at the right hand side of clutch housing and as connected to a starter pedal that rotated disc each time the pedal was depressed.
After nearly twenty years of Cadillac utilizing a Cadillac-Johnson carburetor, the new Detroit Lubricator dual carburetor was featured.
Much of the mechanical features were only slightly differentiated. The increase of power and weight are examples of the improved gear ratios, tire sizes, battery/generator capacity and vacuum assist on brakes.
The dual exhaust system now had tuning chambers in mufflers instead of attachments to the tail pipes. Now the dual ignition coils could be found mounted in the top tank of the radiator.By Jessica DonaldsonIn 1927, the Art and Color department was formed at General Motors with Harley Earl as its leader. For the next fifteen-years, the styling and engineering leadership would keep the Cadillac marque at the top of the fine-car market. Cadillac shocked the world in 1930 with the introduction of its sixteen-cylinder model and sent its competitors scrambling to keep to pace. The hits kept on coming; in 1931 Cadillac introduced a V12 model that retained many of the luxury amenities found in the sixteen-cylinder version, but had a lower price tag.
In 1932, the models were longer and lower and incorporated several stylistic and technical changes and improvements. This would also be the final year for the classic Cadillac styling spear-headed by its tombstone radiators and clamshell fenders. The bodies featured curved running boards which blended in with the front and rear fenders. There was a vacuum-operated automatic clutch and two-way hydraulic shock absorbers which were controlled from the driver's seat. The synchromesh transmission used silent helical gears in all three forward speeds and there were mechanical fuel pumps and Detroit Lubricator carburetors.
Visually, the eight and twelve-cylinder cars were nearly identical with the most distinguishable feature being the radiator badge or hubcap inserts which gave clues to which model was the 12.
By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2008
The Detroit, MI based Cadillac Company offered three different and very distinct chassis and drive trains, a V8, V12 and the massive V16 in 1931. The series 355-A had eight cylinders, the 370-A had twelve-cylinders, and a continuation of the 1930 and 1931 series 452 and 452-A V-16. A total of 10,717 automobile were produced.
Over 5725 370A vehicles were produced from 1930 to 1931. It was available in the two door coupe, 4 door limousine, 2 door roadster, 4 door sedan and the 2 door Tourer. Model year sales were 5,733.
The 370-A series was very similar to the 1930-31 V-16 except some bodies were built by Fisher, but all body interiors were built by Fleetwood.
The hood was four inches shorter than the V-16, and five inches longer than the V-8. The battery was mounted in the right front fender, and the coach sill was modified with a single molding on the splash shield.
The headlights were smaller in diameter than the V-16 headlights by one inch, and the instrument panel was very similar to the V-8 panel. It also had ball shaped dual rear headlights like the V-8 and dual hors that were smaller than on the V-16.
The front tread was the same as the V-8, and the frame had divergent side rails like the Series 355. Rear springs were mounted under the frame rails.
The sedans had two wheelbases, 140' and 143', though the semi-commercial unit had a 152' wheelbase.
Featuring very fine Fleetwood coachwork in standard Fisher bodies, the Fleetwood Body Company was also located in Detroit Michigan.
With a OHV V12 engine, 368 cid and 135 hp, the 370A was priced at $4,895 when new. Able to reach 160km/h, the Cadillac Fleetwood Sport Phaeton came with a narrow-angle V16 power unit.
The 370-A engine had dual intake silencers that were slightly smaller than the single unit on the V-8 engine. The silencers were positioned at the rear were the V-16 vacuum tanks were mounted.
It also had carburetors that were reversed yet very similar to the V-16 so the air inlet was located at the rear.
The V-16 oil filter was mounted on the center of the dash near a single vacuum tank.
The Cadillac V-12 was the official pace car in 1931 for the Indianapolis 500.By Jessica Donaldson